Photo

New Focus Advised By Dealer To Cancel Order And Choose Differnt Engine.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 stugga

stugga

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Name: Stuart
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk 3
  • Year: 2011

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:17 PM

A few weeks ago oi ordered a New focus titaium 2.0 tdci, this morning i have had a call from Ford autopark ipswich advising that there is unlikly to be a build date allocated to my car befor the end of November with no guarentee that it would even happen.

Given i have my heart set on a focus, would i be better replacing the order with a 150 ecoboost or a 1.6 tdci, whatever i choose i will now be able to order the titaium x version plus add ons, any assistance appreciated.

Stu

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 cyb

cyb

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 548 posts
  • Name: Colin
  • Ford Model: fiesta 1.4tdci
  • Year: 2009

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:30 PM

personally I wouldn't just take one dealers word for anything, why not give another dealer in your area a bell and ask them if you ordered a new focus titaium 2.0 tdci - when is the earliest they can deliver.

Next thing is do you wait for the car you want or buy something your going to be unhappy with and always think 'if only'. :(

#3 adzmcp

adzmcp

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S 2009
Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:19 PM

Your problem is adealer may say they can get one just so you order then call you again to say sorry you can't have it once they have your order. 2.0 dsl will take ages. Why not cancell or wait. No point going for a Ecoboost you was buying a dsl for a reason I take it. And if you are looking at Ecoboost now why not hang on till new 180ps Eco is launched

#4 stugga

stugga

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:27 PM

totally agree, maybe smell a rat with the dealer. I agree i have to cancel the ecoboost as the fuel economy is way belowthe 47.9 combined quoted, probs more like 35.

The reason i ordered the 2.0 was to get the added grunt over the 1.6. I have previously had both in the old shape but the 1.6 only had 5 gears then.

does anyone know how much poke the 1.6 tdci actually has.

I may just wait.

#5 tomo2001

tomo2001

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Titanium X

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:49 PM

I have 1.6TDCi done 1800 miles now. Fuel computer indicating a disappointing 45.2 mpg :(

#6 stugga

stugga

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:54 PM

how do you find it to drive m8, and especially when you want to put the foot down to overtake on bendy roads etc???

#7 tomo2001

tomo2001

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:28 AM

how do you find it to drive m8, and especially when you want to put the foot down to overtake on bendy roads etc???

Much, much slower than my 2.2 Civic (140BHP). Not best pleased with steering either - very 'numb' no feedback so quite easy to understeer. Also don't go for 18's as turning circle is crap. Brakes not as good either possibly due to drums on rear ?

#8 APJ

APJ

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Ford Model: 2005 Ford Focus 2.0TDCI Titanium

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:40 AM

just out of curiosity tomo..why did you swap your 2.2 civic for a 1.6 focus? those 2.2 civics are amazing..id get one if could afford one

#9 jimbobc

jimbobc

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Name: james
  • Ford Model: none
  • Year: 2012

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:40 AM

Your problem is adealer may say they can get one just so you order then call you again to say sorry you can't have it once they have your order. 2.0 dsl will take ages. Why not cancell or wait. No point going for a Ecoboost you was buying a dsl for a reason I take it. And if you are looking at Ecoboost now why not hang on till new 180ps Eco is launched

I'm getting 45 out of mine average. Not the fastest on the road but I make progress. But your right the diesel will obviously better than that. However, having moved from a diesel its so smooth and refined.

#10 jimbobc

jimbobc

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Name: james
  • Ford Model: none
  • Year: 2012

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:41 AM

Apologies I missed quoted I was trying to reply the earlier comments about 47.9 not being acheiveable .

#11 APJ

APJ

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Ford Model: 2005 Ford Focus 2.0TDCI Titanium

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:12 AM

im getting 51-52mpg out of my 2.0tdci (2005)...i do use shell vpower diesel tho

#12 cuke

cuke

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Mk3 Focus Titanium X

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:24 AM

Much, much slower than my 2.2 Civic (140BHP). Not best pleased with steering either - very 'numb' no feedback so quite easy to understeer. Also don't go for 18's as turning circle is crap. Brakes not as good either possibly due to drums on rear ?

Hi, but why are you comparing a 2.2l diesel engined civic with that of a 1.6, its not quite in the same ballpark is it? Also the 18" wheels aren't that bad, I found the turning circle just fine when I test drove a Focus with those wheels on it. Also the EPAS system takes a little getting used too, however, again from my experience, I found that coming from my Mondeo's PAS to that of the Focus, that there was good turn in and excellent feedback from the system, in fact as good as the Mondeo. I also doubt the rear drums have any bearing on the 'feel' of the brakes at all, as you are using the front discs for 70-75% of the braking power anyway.
Chris

#13 tomo2001

tomo2001

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:53 AM

just out of curiosity tomo..why did you swap your 2.2 civic for a 1.6 focus? those 2.2 civics are amazing..id get one if could afford one

Co. car came to end of lease - can't get diesel Civic at the moment as engine not Euro V compliant or something. Have to wait till 2012.

#14 cuke

cuke

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Mk3 Focus Titanium X

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:04 PM

Hi, hence the reason you aren't happy then, I guess that if it had been your own, or first choice, then you would have a different car altogether.
Chris

#15 tomo2001

tomo2001

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:19 PM

Hi, hence the reason you aren't happy then, I guess that if it had been your own, or first choice, then you would have a different car altogether.
Chris

Where did I say I was unhappy ? Car just not living up to expectations in some areas - bit disappointing when its £23k's worth.

Also its increasingly difficult to get any dealer to give you an extended test drive when you mention company car, they just aren't interested. No demonstrators were available with 18's on and I'm sure for one the turning circle is much better without them as a steering rack limiter has to be fitted when they are chosen.
Personally I chose the car for tax (and fuel economy reasons) cause I'm sick of giving a large chunk of my wages to the taxman. Unfortunately the fuel economy at the moment is below that of my 2.2 Civic and way below what Ford advertise. I've tried driving the car like a Grandad and it makes little difference although I have had an award come up on the display saying I am and 'Advanced Eco Driver' - what at 45.0mpg FFS ? Hopefully it will get better as the engine loosens up and when my Stop/Start is fixed, but that's another matter.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users