Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Key fob/remote

K2008

Hi,

Please be patient with me! I am one of those females that could know more about cars, but has chosen not to! ;) (for now).

Sooo, in January 2007 I bought my Focus (1.6 Zetec, 2002... if that helps?). I only got the one key with it, a remote key with the 3 buttons on it.

Well, I would ideally like another key. If I happen to ever lose the one and only key I have for my car... then what would I do!?

So my question is, how would I go about it? I mean, with programming it... I've asked a few people before but some have either told me it can't be done by yourself it would have to be done by Ford (because I only have the one key), and someone else has said I can do it... Basically I've been given alot of mixed information so I have no clue what is or isn't correct.

A good few months back I decided to email my local Ford dealer and ask them. They said "unfortunately another key would have to be programmed buy our computer, the total cost of the repair including the key,labour and vat would be £140.00 " £55.40 of that being just for the key itself.

So because I only have the ONE original key myself, does that make it more difficult to programme a new one? Would it really have to be done at/by Ford? or could I do it myself the same way everyone else does it?

I found this info online:

FORD Focus (Radio 3 Button) - Key Remote Programming

1. Switch Ignition On/Off (II/0) 4 times within 6 seconds until a sound is made.

2. Press any button on Remote until a sound is made.

3. To program additional Remotes, repeat after 2 seconds after the sound.

4. Turn Ignition On/Off to exit.

5. A maximum of 4 remotes can be programmed.

FORD

To me, that sounds pretty simple and sounds as if I could do that myself with only having the one original key. The reason I say that is because someone once told me to be able to programme a new key you have to have 2 original keys (already programmed) in the first place. In them instructions above it doesn't state anywhere about having to use 2 original keys.

Oh dear, I am just confused to be honest.

Help would be appreciated... and please, don't make it too difficult to understand! hehe :lol::blink::unsure:

Thanks

Yep, I think that is all you have to do.

I only got one remote from the dealer when I picked my car up and the spare key is just a normal key, so I don't see any problem's with you only having the one key.

£140 seems a bit steep for a key, I was going to ask my dealer for another remote one when I pop in to get a couple of bits looked at myself, don't think I'll bother at that price :blink:

Hi,

Please be patient with me! I am one of those females that could know more about cars, but has chosen not to! ;) (for now).

Sooo, in January 2007 I bought my Focus (1.6 Zetec, 2002... if that helps?). I only got the one key with it, a remote key with the 3 buttons on it.

Well, I would ideally like another key. If I happen to ever lose the one and only key I have for my car... then what would I do!?

So my question is, how would I go about it? I mean, with programming it... I've asked a few people before but some have either told me it can't be done by yourself it would have to be done by Ford (because I only have the one key), and someone else has said I can do it... Basically I've been given alot of mixed information so I have no clue what is or isn't correct.

A good few months back I decided to email my local Ford dealer and ask them. They said "unfortunately another key would have to be programmed buy our computer, the total cost of the repair including the key,labour and vat would be £140.00 " £55.40 of that being just for the key itself.

So because I only have the ONE original key myself, does that make it more difficult to programme a new one? Would it really have to be done at/by Ford? or could I do it myself the same way everyone else does it?

I found this info online:

FORD Focus (Radio 3 Button) - Key Remote Programming

1. Switch Ignition On/Off (II/0) 4 times within 6 seconds until a sound is made.

2. Press any button on Remote until a sound is made.

3. To program additional Remotes, repeat after 2 seconds after the sound.

4. Turn Ignition On/Off to exit.

5. A maximum of 4 remotes can be programmed.

FORD

To me, that sounds pretty simple and sounds as if I could do that myself with only having the one original key. The reason I say that is because someone once told me to be able to programme a new key you have to have 2 original keys (already programmed) in the first place. In them instructions above it doesn't state anywhere about having to use 2 original keys.

Oh dear, I am just confused to be honest.

Help would be appreciated... and please, don't make it too difficult to understand! hehe :lol::blink::unsure:

Thanks

Sadly Ford told you correctly. The process you show above is for programming the central door locking. The bit that costs is programming PATs to your key so the new key will start the engine. The process for this is

You need 2 keys already known to the car.

Insert first known key and turn to position 2 and off

Replace with second known key and do same

PATs is now in learning mode

Insert new unknown key and PATs will "learn" this new keycode chip and store it

Leave car for a minute or two to exit learning mode.

Try the new key and car should start.

As you dont have two keys, user programming cannot be done so Ford charge you to reprogramme the PATs system on their computer and you will get 3 NEW keys.

hi, i have exactly the same problem (one remote key, want a spare one - confusing info on how to get it). Ford have quoted me £175 for a new programmed one, which is way too much, need to figure out how i can get it for cheaper. Based on the answer to the initial question, dont think i can program a remote key myself, with just the initial key. However i have been searching down the keymakers avenue and have found that many of them can do it, but by making a clone of my key (about £100) and therefore needing no connection with the car. I dont know if this is right however and am therefore trying to get some more information. Is anyone able to shine any light on how to get this done cheaply!!

It could be possible, however I wouldnt like to say either way to be honest. I know there are some keymakers who do charge less than Ford for doing the service, but as to how they do it cheaper I dont know. For me, Ford could charge a lot less, its only hooking a laptop upto the car, the computer does the rest. How is that worth nearly £200

Hi,

Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately, that's what I was hoping not to hear :D... nevermind. I was hoping Ford were telling me lies just to get my money lol.

The Autokeys company are a bit too far from me to be honest... and the areas they cover are in the South/South west area... I am in the East and it would be too far to travel.

Yes, near on £200 at Ford is rather expensive for what has to be done... but remember, anything to do with cars... the labour is crazy!!! So probably most of that price is labour. That's why I was hoping to be able to do it myself.

Like when I have a repair need doing, I buy the parts myself and then get my dad or brother to do it... because going to Ford or any other garage would be stupid because of the labour costs.

I think I will just have to leave it for now... until I have a spare £200 to spend on a new key lol. Right now, money is tight and I don't really have £200 to buy a key with. I have had my Focus for 2 years now... and I haven't even spent £200 on repairs for it!... so think I will keep putting the key off for a while. But the truth is, I really could do with a spare one incase I lose the only key I have.

Oh, another quick question (might sound stupid)... my remote key is getting a bit iffy. I used to be able to lock/unlock the car from quite a distance. But now, I have to be near enough right next to my car for it to work... does this mean the battery in the remote needs changing? If I change the battery, it wont then make me have to re-programme the key!? :blink::unsure: (I hope not! dear lord).

Thanks again!

hi

I had the same problem with my remote key (signal was really bad) and bought the battery from a local DIY store for £1 (the battery needed will be in the cars manual), and had a key cutting shop put it in for £1.50 (i could have done this myself, but for the small fee would rather have someone else do it). My fob works fine now and the signal is much better/stronger.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately, that's what I was hoping not to hear :D... nevermind. I was hoping Ford were telling me lies just to get my money lol.

The Autokeys company are a bit too far from me to be honest... and the areas they cover are in the South/South west area... I am in the East and it would be too far to travel.

Yes, near on £200 at Ford is rather expensive for what has to be done... but remember, anything to do with cars... the labour is crazy!!! So probably most of that price is labour. That's why I was hoping to be able to do it myself.

Like when I have a repair need doing, I buy the parts myself and then get my dad or brother to do it... because going to Ford or any other garage would be stupid because of the labour costs.

I think I will just have to leave it for now... until I have a spare £200 to spend on a new key lol. Right now, money is tight and I don't really have £200 to buy a key with. I have had my Focus for 2 years now... and I haven't even spent £200 on repairs for it!... so think I will keep putting the key off for a while. But the truth is, I really could do with a spare one incase I lose the only key I have.

Oh, another quick question (might sound stupid)... my remote key is getting a bit iffy. I used to be able to lock/unlock the car from quite a distance. But now, I have to be near enough right next to my car for it to work... does this mean the battery in the remote needs changing? If I change the battery, it wont then make me have to re-programme the key!? :blink::unsure: (I hope not! dear lord).

Thanks again!

You shouldnt have to reprogram the key changing the battery. You need a CR2032 cell. Normally cost a couple of quid.

• 6 years later...

Sadly Ford told you correctly. The process you show above is for programming the central door locking. The bit that costs is programming PATs to your key so the new key will start the engine. The process for this is

You need 2 keys already known to the car.

Insert first known key and turn to position 2 and off

Replace with second known key and do same

PATs is now in learning mode

Insert new unknown key and PATs will "learn" this new keycode chip and store it

Leave car for a minute or two to exit learning mode.

Try the new key and car should start.

As you dont have two keys, user programming cannot be done so Ford charge you to reprogramme the PATs system on their computer and you will get 3 NEW keys.

I no this is a old post but do you need a new chip to program the new key you are trying to add

Yes the new key has to have a new transponder chip in it.

Yes the new key has to have a new transponder chip in it.

thanks

Ford recommends the battery to be changed every 3 years on the MK 1 that you own.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club