Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Garmin Sat Nav

mark67

Hi Guys previous user but my account has been deactivated , i travel about alot so have invested in a Garmin Nuvi 1490T, it has lifetime maps and Traffic ,but as im fussy about wires i want to do away without the cigrette lighter charger and position in drivers side.As it needs constant power for traffic updates other than fitting a new supply and feed from battery ,can you earth and take a live feed from behind the head light switch or anywhere else more suitable,would appreciate some help here.I am aware some fitting companies are out there but just wondered if anyone else has done this as they are quite expensive and i dont want to cut into the wrong wire loom and immobilise my car .Its a 55 plate Mondeo TDCi 130 ,thanks again.....

just wondered if anyone else has done this as they are quite expensive and i dont want to cut into the wrong wire loom and immobilise my car .Its a 55 plate Mondeo TDCi 130 ,thanks again.....

Hi Mark,

Welcome back may I recommend an extra socket from ford Click Here a L bracket could br made easily to store this socket under the footwell,

sort of like this bracket Click Here 2 holes to mount under the dash and a bigger bore to slot the 12v socket in to,

The 12v socket comes provided with ford fitting instructions so you cant go wrong, your sat nav charger can be easily unpluged and removed,

a more secure option as their won't be any visible sign from the windows that their may be a satnav in the car,

also if you upgrade the satnav, change model or want to use it in another car you can easily bring the complete charger with you. a more user friendly option.

i dont sell either of these items myself but i will buy one of the 12v sockets also,:)

• Like 1

whatever you do, do not cut the 12v plug off the charger lead as the voltage reducer is usually built into the plug, cut it off and you will get a full 12volts to your garmin, not good, as above go for the extra socket

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mark,

Welcome back may I recommend an extra socket from ford Click Here a L bracket could br made easily to store this socket under the footwell,

sort of like this bracket Click Here 2 holes to mount under the dash and a bigger bore to slot the 12v socket in to,

The 12v socket comes provided with ford fitting instructions so you cant go wrong, your sat nav charger can be easily unpluged and removed,

a more secure option as their won't be any visible sign from the windows that their may be a satnav in the car,

also if you upgrade the satnav, change model or want to use it in another car you can easily bring the complete charger with you. a more user friendly option.

i dont sell either of these items myself but i will buy one of the 12v sockets also,:)

Many thanks for the advice guys much apprciated ,sorry long time replying dont get on the old pc very often ,need to get it sorted ,hate wires .....again many thanks

Many thanks for the advice guys much apprciated ,sorry long time replying dont get on the old pc very often ,need to get it sorted ,hate wires .....again many thanks

No problem mate, pitty you missed on the purchase of one of the kits, as they come with full fitting instructions, i have purchased one myself, havent got around to fitting it yet but i will list the ford part number for anyone who would like to source a supplier and purchase.B)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club