G777

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Name: A
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 tdci Titanium
  • Year: 2008

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:36 PM

Hi everyone

Please can anyone advise as to the best option once you've been hit by the dreaded DPF & 'limp home' issue

A bit of history: I have a 1.6 TDCI which I drive on the motorway pretty much every working day. It's just over 3 years old, out of warrenty and done 55k. A few weeks back it went into limp home mode whilst joining a motorway, and then again a couple of days later. My local garage said it was a dpf issue and they regenerated the dpf and cleared the codes. However I took it down a straight road, pushed the revs high in 2nd and 3rd and I got it to die twice.So what is the best option for me from the following:

1. Leave it alone and hope it doesn't happen again - I'm not keen on this option as its pretty scary having the car die going onto the M25
2. Get the dpf replaced - But this is expensive, and can it be guaranteed it will solve the issue
3. Try and get my garage to accept liability as I don't think they changed the additive at 37.5k - I think I can safely say they will say no or something less polite
4. Get the dpf removed - I'm not sure how much this costs, or if any of you have done this
5. Trade it in for a newer petrol focus (and give up on diesel so no dpf) - I tend to get a new car every 4 years, so maybe I should just move on. Shame to do this as I still love it to death

Any help would be appreciated by this Confused man

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,138 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 Zetec 1.8 TDCI (Climate)
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:56 PM

this topic has been done to death. what id personally start with before spending money is take it for a 20 min blast down a motorway or dual carriage way...basically put it in 3rd and keep revs at 3000 for like i say 20 mins. this will hopefully clear the ash buildup in your DPF.

post back if this doesnt work. ill suggest more then.

#3 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 21,154 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:06 PM

1. Leave it alone and hope it doesn't happen again - I'm not keen on this option as its pretty scary having the car die going onto the M25
- Bad Idea, do you really want a high pressure building up and risking blowing the turbo because you thought it might "fix itself"? - 1000 for a new DPF and a further 700 for a new turbo?

2. Get the dpf replaced - But this is expensive, and can it be guaranteed it will solve the issue - Cant guarantee it will resolve the issue - it probably will if its definately a DPF issue but no guarantees really.

3. Try and get my garage to accept liability as I don't think they changed the additive at 37.5k - I think I can safely say they will say no or something less polite
- Your garage wont accept liability as they will admit they sold you a car not fit for purpose, and will mean they have to fork out for damages, plus the fact that you could still return the car even at the end - this wont happen - thats a guarantee!

4. Get the dpf removed - I'm not sure how much this costs, or if any of you have done this
Read a thread I did a while back "DPF Removal" - "I wonder...." It goes into a lot of detail - its possible, but its risky.

5. Trade it in for a newer petrol focus (and give up on diesel so no dpf) - I tend to get a new car every 4 years, so maybe I should just move on. Shame to do this as I still love it to death
You could do this, or buy a maintenance free DPF which gives you the best of both worlds...

#4 G777

G777

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Name: A
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 tdci Titanium
  • Year: 2008

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:37 PM

Hi

Thanks for the replies. However it turns out that my garage did not have a clue what they were doing. I have taken it to a larger main dealer and they have diagnosed that there is nothing wrong with the DPF.

Apparently despite the other garage having given the car a full service, and more recently charged me for regenerating the DPF, they still hadn't refilled the DPF additive fluid, or picked up that there was a blocked fuel filter. I now have had the fluid added and the fuel filter replaced. Hopefully (fingers crossed) I won't have any more issues and my car will go back to being the lovely car it was to drive.

Cheers
G

#5 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,138 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 Zetec 1.8 TDCI (Climate)
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:04 PM

if you have a receipt from the the original garage which claims they refilled the EOYLS fluid, you can claim the money back on this, especially if you have a receipt from ford to say they refilled it.

but glad you got this issue sorted.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users