damocl

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus 1.4 CL
Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:04 PM

Hey all

I got a Ford Focus 1.4 CL 2000 X reg :D

Sometimes the speedo goes to 0, the radio dims and i get a slight loss of power.. *I heard it might be my VSS*

also

When i come to a stand still at the junction it sounds like the car is gonna stall but it picks itself up again to normal idle revs. .

Are these 2 things connected??

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 damocl

damocl

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:28 PM

Anyone? :D

Cause im on ebay now looking for the VSS

#3 SierraYankee99

SierraYankee99

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford
Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:27 AM

Yeah, I'd go with VSS mate. Classic symptoms. A new one from Ford only costs about 25. Dont trust one from e-bay, Get it changed sooner than later. When it goes completely the engine will die. My ex wifes did this and it failed on the M25 and she ended up with 44 tonnes of artic up the back of her car.

#4 damocl

damocl

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:19 PM

Yeah, I'd go with VSS mate. Classic symptoms. A new one from Ford only costs about 25. Dont trust one from e-bay, Get it changed sooner than later. When it goes completely the engine will die. My ex wifes did this and it failed on the M25 and she ended up with 44 tonnes of artic up the back of her car.

any idea how much the ford garage will charge to get it fitted to?

#5 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,103 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:55 PM

any idea how much the ford garage will charge to get it fitted to?

the part itself is around 30 not sure how much labour would be though

#6 SierraYankee99

SierraYankee99

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:30 AM

My friend had one fitted to her 1.8 a year or so back by our local ford dealer and it cost her 95 ish fitted

#7 damocl

damocl

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:56 PM

right.. today it went big time.. didnt come back on for about 15 mins, at the same time the mileage counter went to - - - .. and my engine fault light popped on

So i went to the ford dealer and i got it booked in for a diagnostic check as he said it could eithe be the cluster or the VSS

#8 SierraYankee99

SierraYankee99

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:35 PM

Its the VSS mate deffo

#9 damocl

damocl

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:10 PM

Its the VSS mate deffo

Right its not going into ford now lol, a local garage is gonna check it over for me on thursday cause i aint paying ford 50 for a diagnostic

#10 SierraYankee99

SierraYankee99

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:15 PM

Right its not going into ford now lol, a local garage is gonna check it over for me on thursday cause i aint paying ford 50 for a diagnostic

A diagnostic might not reveal anything as its only a intermittent fault not a permanent one. Guaranteed its the VSS though, seen loads of people post symptoms exactly the same as you in my 5 years of focus ownership.

#11 damocl

damocl

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:03 PM

A diagnostic might not reveal anything as its only a intermittent fault not a permanent one. Guaranteed its the VSS though, seen loads of people post symptoms exactly the same as you in my 5 years of focus ownership.

yep i know it wont reveal it. main reason why im not doing the diagnostic

The bloke at ford was going on about that about 40% of the VSS they take out snap and have to take of the whole gearbox.. im guessing he was bullshitting

#12 SierraYankee99

SierraYankee99

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:28 AM

Nope, theres a pin in the VSS which invariably will snap but I've never heard of the box having to come out even when that does happen.

#13 stuz

stuz

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Ford Model: mondeo 2.5i v6 si
Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:18 AM

might be the alternator mate if it has a bad connection or is just on its way out, your fuel pump is a electronic one and if your bat aint getting enough charge it wont send the fuel through and could explain why your lights dim and it some times feels like it is about to stall, just a thought but start simple before you get stressed and tunneled vision over one possible fault!!!
good luck and stay away from ford garages they wanted 500 for a !Removed! clutch and i got the full kit all in for 350 at a merc stamped garage up the road

#14 damocl

damocl

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:22 PM

might be the alternator mate if it has a bad connection or is just on its way out, your fuel pump is a electronic one and if your bat aint getting enough charge it wont send the fuel through and could explain why your lights dim and it some times feels like it is about to stall, just a thought but start simple before you get stressed and tunneled vision over one possible fault!!!
good luck and stay away from ford garages they wanted 500 for a !Removed! clutch and i got the full kit all in for 350 at a merc stamped garage up the road

well like i said, the bloke is looking at it tomorrow,, but i got the alternator checked the other week and that was fine *tested at a local garage cause my battery was old*

I still think its the VSS, i might just say to him tomorrow that its the VSS and can you just change it anyways lol

#15 damocl

damocl

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:30 PM

the VSS was changed for a cheap 86 by my local garage :D

it seems to have sorted the problem atm :D

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users