Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Do I Change The Fuel Filter ?

jmurray01

Long story short, the Fiesta was going into "retirement" for a while, but the Rover 216 failed the MOT, and to top it off, overheated during the emissions test! :angry:

So now, the Fiesta is back on the road, and we are going on a 5 day holiday to Edinburgh on the 3rd of October, which is good, except the car is in no condition for a 200 mile drive there and a 200 mile drive back.

The oil is as black as sin, the fuel filter is original (77,000 miles) and starting to cause very hard starting and loss of power, so before we go, the "beast" (my pet name for it, which is far from the truth really :lol:) needs some TLC.

I can change the oil and filter, but I've never changed a Fuel Filter before. It is probably simple, but I just want to check!

Is it a simple; pull both pipes off, undo the clamp, pull the filter out, put the new filter in, tighten the clamp, push both pipes on - Job Done ?

Yes. Pretty much.... although you wanna make sure you have a jerry can with some nice fresh fuel to fill up the new filter before fitting, otherwise you're gonna be choking your car to fill it.

Make sure you have a good battery too, it will probably take some cranking while it builds pressure back up.

If you fill the new filter to the top, it shouldn't take anymore than a few turns to start it up. If it takes a while to start then you should've filled the filter up more.... either way, it'll work.

on a petrol you shouldnt need to fill the filter or have any issues starting. after removing the fuel pipes, unbolt it and remove it. bolt the new one in place and fit the fuel pipe. most inline filters i have changed on petrol cars have been mounted parallel with the body of the car so you wouldnt be able to put much petrol in it anyway without it spilling out.

turn the key to the ignition position (dash lights on) and you should hear the fuel pump priming the system. do this a couple of times and then start the engine and leave it running for a minute. check for any leaks.

on a petrol you shouldnt need to fill the filter or have any issues starting. after removing the fuel pipes, unbolt it and remove it. bolt the new one in place and fit the fuel pipe. most inline filters i have changed on petrol cars have been mounted parallel with the body of the car so you wouldnt be able to put much petrol in it anyway without it spilling out.

turn the key to the ignition position (dash lights on) and you should hear the fuel pump priming the system. do this a couple of times and then start the engine and leave it running for a minute. check for any leaks.

Yep, I knew to prime the system a few times after the lack of pressure.

It is only a carburettor engine that would be a bit obstinate to start after a filter change.

Thanks for your reply B)

Yep, I knew to prime the system a few times after the lack of pressure.

It is only a carburettor engine that would be a bit obstinate to start after a filter change.

Thanks for your reply B)

im not even sure it would affect a carb engine. I have changed fuel filters on a few small petrol engines before and never had hassle with them before.

good luck with the filter change :)