Do Not Sell My Personal Information

04 Streetka Squeaky (Fan) Belt

DELRIO

04 plate StreetKa, 53,000 miles

when i start her up there is a squeaking noise coming from the drivers side of the engine bay, what i think is the fan belt. it goes away after a while once the engine has warmed up.

has anyone else experienced this and could it be related to my over-heating issue???

cheers in advance,

DEL

ps im checking coolant levels when engine is cold before each journey and its always fine.

04 plate StreetKa, 53,000 miles

when i start her up there is a squeaking noise coming from the drivers side of the engine bay, what i think is the fan belt. it goes away after a while once the engine has warmed up.

has anyone else experienced this and could it be related to my over-heating issue???

cheers in advance,

DEL

ps im checking coolant levels when engine is cold before each journey and its always fine.

It could be the belt squeaking becuase its worn or not tight enough. but it may well be related to your overheating problem (haven't yet read any of your other posts) as it may be the water pump thats squeaking..

thanks stef do you think i should start by getting a garage to adjust/replace the belt and if so how is there anything I can do to minimise the total cost?

DEL

sounds like the aux belt not an expensive job for a garage to do

get them to change the tensioner at the same time as doing the belt

the overheating mabe a stuck thermostat about £10.00 part 20 min fix from memory from other cars i have done

When it's running spray some WD40 onto the belt. If the noise disappears you know it's that belt. Ours does it slightly. Like a swish swish noise until it's warmed up. WD40 minimises it.

When it's running spray some WD40 onto the belt. If the noise disappears you know it's that belt. Ours does it slightly. Like a swish swish noise until it's warmed up. WD40 minimises it.

wd40 is not a good thing to be spraying on a rubber belt..and it will reduce the friction between the belt and pulleys. talcom powder would be a better choice.

The squeaking normally occurrs more on damp cold mornings. The WD40 dries this out which is why the noise stops. The WD40 evaporates almost immediately.

Obviously I am not suggesting a huge dose if it. Just a light spray will do the job and is a well known fix albeit temporarily and good for checking which belt it is.

But it is normally a sign of belt wear and will eventually need replacing or adjusting.

thanks for comments all, will get the aux belt replaced and possibly thermostat at same time and report back :D

• 1 year later...

Ah, looks like an old thread that represents pretty much what's happening on the wife's car, that's the rodent vocals rather than getting hot under the collar. Does anyone know if it's a good idea to do any other maintenance at the same time? The only reason I ask is coming from camp VAG (VW Audi Gruppe), it's advisable to change the water pump at the same time as a whole cambelt and tensioner kit with the PD diesel engines. Suffice to say, short term gain here (or just changing the belt itself) leads to long term pain which I'm aiming to avoid. This also avoids a belting in the crown jewels and absence of unspeakable pleasures for the foreseeable!

I jest, but any hopeful hints greatfully received. :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club