19 replies to this topic

#1 wealdman

wealdman

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 Ti VCT Titanium
Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:01 PM

Possibly shocking to many forum members but after lengthy cogitation I've changed the standard Titanium 16" 15 spoke wheels and 45 profile Continental tyres for 15" Autec Zenit Silver wheels and 50 profile Kleber Quadraxer tyres. Objectives: a softer ride on ill-kept country roads with hopefully less risk of buckled wheels and an improved winter driving experience with "all seasons" tyres (actually they comply with requirements for winter tyres but are intended for year-round use).

Before

Posted Image

After

Posted Image

Have I achieved objectives? Well the ride is certainly much less harsh especially when the vehicle is lightly loaded. Time will tell with the rest.

Meanwhile the original wheels and tyres are on eBay, item number 170697390159, if anyone's interested.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 7,426 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS & Toyota Levin BZR
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:52 PM

I personally think it looks allot better mate,

Also for anyone interested in the alloy wheels Click Here Bid starting at 50 thats crazy cheap:blink:

#3 2011fiesta

2011fiesta

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,613 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: 2011 Fiesta Titanium Auto
  • Year: 2011

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:58 PM

Is it not possible to add thicker tyres to the standard titanium 16s? Thats what I'd prefer, you'd keep the premium 15 spoke look but with a thicker more noise and bump absorbant tyre. I guess it would be no difference to having the 17inch spanner alloys size wise - I just worry that with 5 adults in and the boot packed it might look like the bodys almost sat on top of the tyres as if its been lowered a tad too far - i think mine can look like that already sometimes and thats with the factory fitted thin tyres on! :-s

#4 hula89

hula89

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Name: Michael
  • Ford Model: '09 Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi Zetec
  • Year: 2009

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:11 PM

If you werent in sussex I'd be all over them. How much would postage be if you could sort it? If it wasnt too bad I'd have to consider it.

#5 wealdman

wealdman

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:49 AM

If you werent in sussex I'd be all over them. How much would postage be if you could sort it? If it wasnt too bad I'd have to consider it.

Starting prices on eBay auctions are more or less meaningless when a number of people are interested and there are 45 watching at present. These wheels and tyres reached 210 last time around, then the buyer didn't pay up so I've relisted. I don't want the hassle of posting, neither do I want to set a Buy It Now price. I can advise on a courier pick up firm which doesn't insist on onerous packaging. Their charge would probably be around 65 plus a little for insurance.

#6 wealdman

wealdman

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:57 AM

Is it not possible to add thicker tyres to the standard titanium 16s? :-s

Yes indeed it is. A forum member in Scotland (sorry I forget his name) reported, a long way back, fitting 55 profile tyres to the 16" wheels with excellent results. Of course there will be consequences for the speedometer readings but these were not too serious if I remember his post correctly.

#7 hula89

hula89

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Name: Michael
  • Ford Model: '09 Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi Zetec
  • Year: 2009

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:51 PM

Starting prices on eBay auctions are more or less meaningless when a number of people are interested and there are 45 watching at present. These wheels and tyres reached 210 last time around, then the buyer didn't pay up so I've relisted. I don't want the hassle of posting, neither do I want to set a Buy It Now price. I can advise on a courier pick up firm which doesn't insist on onerous packaging. Their charge would probably be around 65 plus a little for insurance.

Ah that might be a little pricey tbh. And I know I expected over 200 for the wheels but the 65 postage would be too much. Nvm hope the next buyer pays up.

#8 Danny87

Danny87

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Name: Dan
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Freestyle 1.25 Zetec 5-door
  • Year: 2001

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:20 PM

I like 'em! They suit the car really well :)

#9 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 7,426 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS & Toyota Levin BZR
Contributor

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:49 PM

If you inflate the tyres and cut circle's from cardboard place one either side of the tyre wall and tape a cross shape around the tyres with 2 inch tape,
job done and very light weight, the air in the tyre will protect the edges,

most shops will be happy to give you some cardboard, best item would be a 42'' LCD TV box or similar.

GLS are a excellent service also, they charge by size and not by weight so you may be able to ship them for 40-50 tracking provided as standard.B)

#10 kevin lancelott

kevin lancelott

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Name: kevin
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium X 1.6 tdci
  • Year: 2013

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:31 PM

They look smart them I really like.How are they so far.Does your Titanium not have privacy glass.

#11 wealdman

wealdman

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:41 PM

They look smart them I really like.How are they so far.Does your Titanium not have privacy glass.

The ride is definitely softer and more to my taste on poorly maintained country roads. Not much difference on good surfaces. A very slight, barely noticeable, "zizz" from the tyres when cruising on a decent surface. Fewer spokes to keep clean too.

At the time when I ordered my Titanium there was a no-cost option to delete privacy glass. I think privacy glass visually divides the cabin into two halves and a small car looks better without it - but the option seems to have disappeared.

#12 wealdman

wealdman

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:06 AM

Just to say that I told my insurance company about the change of wheels and tyres. They didn't seem interested, said the change had been noted and they didn't propose any additional premium.

#13 2011fiesta

2011fiesta

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,613 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: 2011 Fiesta Titanium Auto
  • Year: 2011

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:23 PM

Yes indeed it is. A forum member in Scotland (sorry I forget his name) reported, a long way back, fitting 55 profile tyres to the 16" wheels with excellent results. Of course there will be consequences for the speedometer readings but these were not too serious if I remember his post correctly.

(sorry for bumping an old thread - just I'm suddenly interested in getting thicker tyres again - maybe spring time, or when ever i need to replace 2 or more of my current ones).

Who would correct the speedometer readings if thicker tyres were fitted? a local garage or dealer? And how much difference would 50 profiles make? (i take it the standard 16 inch wheel's tyres are 45?) anyone got pics off 55s fitted?

- just my engine it sooo quiet that the road noise (and hard ride for that matter) annoy me sometimes.

Any thoughts on this would be great....

thanks

EDIT - aha, just found this thread of the scottish guy who changed to 55s and posted pics :D http://www.fordowner...h__1#entry86254

#14 wealdman

wealdman

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:22 PM

A few thoughts from a non-expert :-

I thought long and hard about keeping the original 16'' wheels but changing to higher profile tyres. Finding that I had two buckled tipped me towards buying a set of 15'' wheels and 50 profile tyres. If I were doing it again I might be tempted by 15'' wheels and 55 profile tyres especially since discovering that the insurance company doesn't seem interested.

You didn't mean that you were thinking of replacing just two tyres with a higher profile pair? Surely it has to be all four or nothing?

I've been reading posts on this forum for nearly 3 years and I can't recall anyone reporting having had the speedometer ''corrected''. I'm not even sure that it can be done? I suspect it's down to the driver to remember that with 55 profile tyres on the original wheels in place of 45 the usual ''safety margin'' isn't there any more. No more cruising at an indicated 35 mph in a 30 zone, safe in the knowledge that you're really only doing (roughly) 30!

Somewhere there's a website giving detailed info. about the effect of different wheel sizes and tyre profiles upon speedometer readings.

#15 iNath

iNath

Skoda Driver

• Super Mod
  • 3,433 posts
  • Name: Nathan
  • Ford Model: Frozen White Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
Contributor

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:05 PM

I've been reading posts on this forum for nearly 3 years and I can't recall anyone reporting having had the speedometer ''corrected''. I'm not even sure that it can be done? I suspect it's down to the driver to remember that with 55 profile tyres on the original wheels in place of 45 the usual ''safety margin'' isn't there any more. No more cruising at an indicated 35 mph in a 30 zone, safe in the knowledge that you're really only doing (roughly) 30!

With Ford equipment you can update the car with the tyre size that is fitted. I've gone from 195/45/16 to 195/50/15 for the winter and updated mine to reflect that.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users