4 replies to this topic

#1 slugster

slugster

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo
  • Year: 2006
Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:55 AM

First of all a bit of background on me...

For the last 15 years I've had Audi or VW and I liked them and then in the last 4 months I found myself 'down grading' to a 2001 Ford Mondeo 1.8

I put down grading in quotes because I thought I would be losing out - more fool me... What a brilliant drivers car that Mondeo is. OK the engine is a little gutless and rough and the interior is a little lower quality than the german stuff but boy is it good to drive..! And face it that's what counts.

So much tighter and more responsive, a little bit of understeer and then very, very controllable lift off oversteer. And the chassis control give me the confidence to press on a lot more than the wallowy barges I used to own.

Now that circumstances have finally hit rock bottom and are (hopefully) bouncing the other way and I've found myself in possession of a company fuel card (and most of my driving is for work so that's free petrol folks!) I'm wanting something with a little more get up and go.

So I started to look at the ST220.

What are they like to drive and own?

As I enjoy my cornering I was worried a big lump of engine up front might make them very nose heavy. Is that a problem?

And are they 'faster' in the real world than the 8.6 to 60 suggests? It's a false indication of performance and I'd hope that the big engine would make it a good overtaker.

One more thing I need to think about is reliability of the electrics. The ST's seem to be fully loaded and that's a lot of stuff to go wrong. Especially as I will be looking for a 3 or 4 year old one.

Can you good folk give me some feedback and also what I would expect to pay for a tidy example?

Many Thanks

Slugs

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 SierraYankee99

SierraYankee99

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford
Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:04 PM

Got a couple of mates with 220's. Quick, reliable cars. Never heard anything bad about them and I come from a Mondeo background. Try looking on www.fordmondeo.org and asking for recommendations on them Decent bunch of people I've been a part of since 2003.

#3 MondeoST220

MondeoST220

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Ford Model: ST 220, 52 Plate.

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:09 PM

If your still interestted in the 220,
I have one at the moment thats up for sale, price is negociable.
35k miles,
52 plate,
black,

its on the for sale section page 7 mate

if you have any problems i can do another thread showing you the pictures.

thanks,,

#4 S-Max Bob

S-Max Bob

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Ford Model: S-Max 2.5 Turbo

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:03 PM

had a few mondeos in my my time and always loved them, i have only had the 2.5 V6 st24 but always liked the ford v6's even the old essex engines ! the only thing is that the timing chains can rattle and may need a tensioner or guides if so walk away because its an engine out job to change it ! with the st220 try and get one after 2004 i think it was 53 or 04 plate they facelifted the inside and you got the 6 speed gearbox !! great for long runs in a V6...

good luck i was looking at them last night on autotrader i fancy one myself(i got fuel card too) 5.5-6K will get you a good one.

cheeers bob.

#5 Steve

Steve

Administrator

• Admin
  • 4,944 posts
  • Ford Model: Kugy
Contributor

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:22 PM

nice motors.. i hired one and i was well impressed with it.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users