tedsy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Name: mark
  • Ford Model: focus
  • Year: 2003

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:31 PM

Hello,
Ive just picked up an 03 1.8 tdci estate.115,00 miles Full service history.
I have just given it a full service and all seems ok apart from the steering. I have read that the power steering fluid gets contanimated and mine is jet black. I have syringed the resevoir out two or three times and will do it again in another week or so. The main problem is that I think the steering is a little on the heavy side (nothing I cant live with) but when the steering wheel is dead centre it takes a liitle bit of force to get it turning but once you overcome this its fine. I read about Mondeos with notchy steering and it sounds exactly like my problem (this is cured by silicon grease on the steering UJ's) I wondered if it could be this?

All help greatly received

Thanks Mark

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 alz

alz

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Name: Alan
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus LX 1.8 TDCI
  • Year: 2005

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

its a common fault, the only way to fix it, is to have a new rack fitted (not a recon one)
have a look at this link and see lf its the same

http://www.youtube.c...W&v=ATjdVu1Ff-Q

it cost me loads to get my sons fixed, two recon racks and sill no good, in the end got ford to fit a new one, that fixed it, that was two years ago, don't waste your time and money on a cheap fix, you will pay for it in the end..

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users