Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus or others

lee76

Hi All. Iam looking to get a new car it will be a late 08 registration and either 1.6 or 1.8 petrol 5 door.But Iam stuck on either a Focus, Honda Civic or a Toyota Auris any thoughts or advice.

Cheers Mate,

Have to say both the Honda and Civic forums have been more helpfull with the pros and cons for their cars.

Might forget the Essex mobile if the dealers also are the same.

I have to say from the reviews i have read and the people i have spoke to, the Focus is an excellent car as is the Civic. I would love to have the Civic IF it was a Type R as i dont like the look of the Civic at all. The only thing for me with the Civic is the Type R's VTEC engine. Love that induction sound and the performance. In my opinion the Focus is far better looking and i think its cheaper too. For general use of a 1.6 or 1.8 i'd go for the Focus as it is a brillant all round car.

If anyone would like to add to this, post away.

Hope this helps

Cheers Mate,

Have to say both the Honda and Civic forums have been more helpfull with the pros and cons for their cars.

Might forget the Essex mobile if the dealers also are the same.

You drive a focus pal, do I need to tell you what you already know??? As for Toyotas and Hondas, have got a clue. They are Japanese, they'll be bulletproof.

You drive a focus pal, do I need to tell you what you already know??? As for Toyotas and Hondas, have got a clue. They are Japanese, they'll be bulletproof.

I dont drive a Focus just had to put that to join the forum.

toyota,s are not bullet proof, owned two and have several problems with them which is why i now own a ford.

I dont drive a Focus just had to put that to join the forum.

Well you can hardly diss a forum for not giving helpful information if you're gonna lie to join it can you. I was under the impression that as it said you drive a focus you drive a focus. I still stand by my opinion though, focus all the way.

I switched from a ford to honda civic. Oh what a mistake had huge problems with it and it was only 3 yrs old with12000 miles on it. Dealers were not helpfull either so i went back to the old faithfull. But each person makes there choice an dlives with it.

No arguing you 2!!

The new focus's are very nice and you have lots of options with the trims, i am not a fan of the hondas as my step mum has one and i think the visibility is rubbish and not hugely spacious!! The engines are very good though esepcially the 2.2tdi.

The auris i'm not sure about as have never looked into them but generally toyotas are well made (with a few exceptions). I used to have a lexus IS200 with the toyota engine and the reliability was remarkable.

Other than 5 door and a 1..6/1.8 petrol are there any other requirements that may help you narrow down your decision.

Just purchased a July Regestered 08 Focus 1.6 Style and my only real gripe with it is the concave mirror's and lack of kit as standard,

Can only really compare it against my Mum's Nissan Note 1.6 Tekna as that is the most similar vehicle (even if the Nissan was twice the price :blink: although the Tekna grade is the top of the range wheres as Style is one up from basic) I have driven regularly and must say I prefer the engine and ride on the Focus.

Slight faults I find with the Focus other than the aforementioned mirror's are.

The Gear stick and handbrake are IMO positioned on the wrong side of the car, it is as if it was designed as a left hand drive and they have forgot to move the gearstick etc when doing the right hand drive version. There is a slight blind spot with the side piller (although nothing really serious and trust me I drive buses so I know all about blind spots ;) ) and the front cup holders are a waste of time if you put a bottle in them as your always banging it when changing gear (this might harp back to my earlier faults regarding LH & RH drive)

I test drove a VW Golf a year ago and in comparison to the Focus I found the driving position worse than on the Focus, however you did get more kit for your money.

If you want a nice comfatable car that will get you from A to B at a reasonable price then go for the Focus, if you want lots of kit and are prepared to pay for it then go for one of the Japanese cars (as already said they are normally VERY relieable, my Mum has had Nissan for the last 15-20 years and never had any major problems) I couldn't get near an 08 Civic on my budget and only paid around £1k more than Honda wanted for a Jazz!!!!

Just purchased a July Regestered 08 Focus 1.6 Style and my only real gripe with it is the concave mirror's and lack of kit as standard,

Can only really compare it against my Mum's Nissan Note 1.6 Tekna as that is the most similar vehicle (even if the Nissan was twice the price :blink: although the Tekna grade is the top of the range wheres as Style is one up from basic) I have driven regularly and must say I prefer the engine and ride on the Focus.

Slight faults I find with the Focus other than the aforementioned mirror's are.

The Gear stick and handbrake are IMO positioned on the wrong side of the car, it is as if it was designed as a left hand drive and they have forgot to move the gearstick etc when doing the right hand drive version. There is a slight blind spot with the side piller (although nothing really serious and trust me I drive buses so I know all about blind spots ;) ) and the front cup holders are a waste of time if you put a bottle in them as your always banging it when changing gear (this might harp back to my earlier faults regarding LH & RH drive)

I test drove a VW Golf a year ago and in comparison to the Focus I found the driving position worse than on the Focus, however you did get more kit for your money.

If you want a nice comfatable car that will get you from A to B at a reasonable price then go for the Focus, if you want lots of kit and are prepared to pay for it then go for one of the Japanese cars (as already said they are normally VERY relieable, my Mum has had Nissan for the last 15-20 years and never had any major problems) I couldn't get near an 08 Civic on my budget and only paid around £1k more than Honda wanted for a Jazz!!!!

i am glad you went with the ford Liongolfer, as for what i would buy lee76 and i have bought Jap i would pick the focus, it has been the range topper and the one to beat for years even though the astra vxr and civic type r were faster around a track people still choose the focus st for its great chassis and great feed back on the road. i think if you go into the dealer with a price and spec you want you can get what you want, credit crunch and all ;) so i hope you go for the focus and look forward to seeing you back on here telling us all about it,

cheers,

So am I Bob ;)

I had test drives lined up in other makes for around the same price that had slightly higher spec, however they also had higher mileage (20 miles on mine as it was a pre registered jobbie compared to an Astra that had 13k, or an ex demo Seat Ibiza Sport with 4k :blink: ) The only thing I regret is I didn't try to push the dealer for alloys and bluetooth although to be honest £9k for what in essence is a brand new focus was a good deal IMO anyway :D I never did go on them other test drives!!!!

lee, obviously on here people will talk up the Ford as I'm sure other places will talk up there cars. At the end of the day the best thing you can do is arrange test drives in all three and then go for the one you like and feel more comfatable in. If we all liked the same thing the earth would be a pretty boring place ;)