Do Not Sell My Personal Information

*** Ka Possible 'cooling & Heating' Problem?

BHeart

Hi

I'm normally active in the Fiesta Forums but, over the last few weeks my daughter's 2007 KA has developed a problem (or problems) related to the cooling system and possibly the A/C and we would be grateful for any input that might help us to identify where the problem is.

A few weeks ago my wife and daughter went out shopping to a nearby city (15 miles away) in the KA and after about 20 minutes or so, my wife called to say that they had pulled over due to a 'RED' warning light (with a 'temp' icon) coming on and there was also a coolant type smell in the car and the A/C did not work. I drove there to meet them and after checking the coolant level which appeared to be empty, I topped the system up with nearly six (6) pints of water.

I started the car up and allowed it to tick over for about 15 minutes and there were no noticeable leaks, the A/C worked and everything seemed fine, so they carried on with the drive to the shops. On their return, the car was still fine. The following Tuesday, I checked the coolant level and had to put in about 3/4 of a pint. Since then and up until today, the coolant level has been fine and there had been no noticeable problems.

This evening when my daughter arrived home from work, she told me that with the A/C switched on, there was no cold air at all, even though the controls were set to cold. No matter what position she moved the heat/cold control to, the air coming in to the car was very hot.

After the car had been allowed to cool down, I checked the coolant level and it was up to the 'max', so I don't know what the problem is now. I would welcome any help or advice on what the problem is and, what action will resolve it.

I'm sorry if the post is a bit long but I needed to include all relevant information.

Many thanks, BHeart

heater control valve will be stuck open, it located near the bulk head

Hi

Many thanks for your response. :)

You say that the 'heater control valve' is stuck open; as I'm not familiar with the layout of the KA, can you please explain the following:

> What does the 'HCV' looks like?

> When you say 'located near the bulkhead', do you mean under the bonnet and if so, looking towards the rear of the car, is that the rear bulkhead under the windscreen, or the nearside or offside bulkhead?

> Whereabouts on the bulkhead is it located?

>. What needs to be done to get it to open again?

Thanks again, BHeart

Hi

Many thanks for your response. :)

You say that the 'heater control valve' is stuck open; as I'm not familiar with the layout of the KA, can you please explain the following:

> What does the 'HCV' looks like? A block with 4 pipes attached, you will prob only see two though.

> When you say 'located near the bulkhead', do you mean under the bonnet and if so, looking towards the rear of the car, yes is that the rear bulkhead under the windscreen, yes or the nearside or offside bulkhead? not sure(I think it's nearside) but you should see two pipes comes from the engine towards the bulk head these will lead you to the hcv> Whereabouts on the bulkhead is it located?

>. What needs to be done to get it to open again? replace

Thanks again, BHeart

Hi

Thanks for your latest reply.

I have no knowledge of this HCV which you say is the cause of the problems that we have on the KA. Have you had this happen to you or can you be sure that the HCV needs replacing?

We don't really want to buy this part unless we can be totally sure that we need it and, by replacing it, this will solve the issues that we have been having with the KA. Do you have any idea of the cost of the HCV from Ford and is it easy to replace?

Thanks, BHeart

Hi

Thanks for your latest reply.

I have no knowledge of this HCV which you say is the cause of the problems that we have on the KA. Have you had this happen to you or can you be sure that the HCV needs replacing?

We don't really want to buy this part unless we can be totally sure that we need it and, by replacing it, this will solve the issues that we have been having with the KA. Do you have any idea of the cost of the HCV from Ford and is it easy to replace?

Thanks, BHeart

had the same problem with my Ka only the exact opposite mine had stuck in the cold only position cost i believe is abt £20 ish , you will see 2 pipes to the rear of engine just below where windsceen meets engine bay theres also a electrical lead running to pipes to operate the valve which is what sticks in either the hot or cold position mine was on cold permenantly, a haynes manual shoud be able to guide you through replacing it , hope this is of some help .. DAVE

had the same problem with my Ka only the exact opposite mine had stuck in the cold only position cost i believe is abt £20 ish , you will see 2 pipes to the rear of engine just below where windsceen meets engine bay theres also a electrical lead running to pipes to operate the valve which is what sticks in either the hot or cold position mine was on cold permenantly, a haynes manual shoud be able to guide you through replacing it , hope this is of some help .. DAVE

Right ive found a site that has step by step pics of how to remove HCV should be very helpful to you , well i hope so .. FK-OC ford ka owners club type it in n search for heater probs ok as a taster heres one of the pics DAVE

post-26422-0-77336700-1316949065_thumb.j

The last one I bought was £36 from a main dealer. It is a common problem but at times it can be the Heater Control Panel behind the heater knob. You can check the electrics going to the HCV with a voltage meter.

The last one I bought was £36 from a main dealer. It is a common problem but at times it can be the Heater Control Panel behind the heater knob. You can check the electrics going to the HCV with a voltage meter.

Hi

Thanks for your response.

From all of the info I've read in the KA forum, it would appear to be the HCV and I'm on the verge of buying it this week - the latest version of the HCV apparently has "7N21-18495-AB" engraved on the unit and Ford Online Parts have it for £34.14 + VAT (not sure if my local dealer will be the same or cheaper). Our KA was registered on March 1st 2007 so could either have the latest HCV or possible one of the earlier 'dodgey' units. How can I check which unit we have fittedwithout taking off the wipers and trim beneath the windscreen?

With regard to the "Heater Control Panel", I have a voltage meter but I have no real experience with car electrics so can you tell me where on the HCV I need to touch to check the voltage and what should it be (ignition on or off?). If it turned out to be that, what is the cost of it andis it easy to fit?

Many thanks, BHeart

UPDATE!

Just thought I'd update my original post regarding the overheating issues with my daughter's 2007 KA,

Ok, during the middle if this week, my daughter was on the way to work and got so worried about the heat being generated within the car, so she called the RAC out.

The RAC Patrolman told her that the problem was the HCV and that this was a very common problem on the Ford KA and some early Mk7 Fiesta's and that he always carried a few in his van.

In less than ten minutes, he had the wipers arms and trim off, the Ford HCV was replaced with a VAICO HCV which was compatible with various Ford makes. He checked is out after fitting and it was all working fine and, three days later, it still is and all for just £38.00.

I would have preferred the 'genuine' Ford replacement but you have to say that the RAC guy must have fitted loads of these to Ford cars so they must be very good and reliable, so I am happy and my daughter has stopped moaning at me about the heat in her car.

By the way, the KA needs to be topped up with antifreeze (she lost the antifreeze when I needed to top the system up with nearly 6 litres of water), so can anyone tell me what the easiest way is to get antifreeze into a cooling system that is already topped up.

Regards, BHeart