Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide To Fitting Mist Type Jets On Your Ford

Lenny

I remember fixing my brothers Mondeo when the washers were playing up. They were blocked up completely and there was no water pressure in the hoses. Turned out to be a filter at the bottom of the washer bottle. I just cleaned it up and put everything back together. It's always a good idea looking at the simplest solution first, as more often than not when cars go wrong it's something simple and easy (and cheap lol).

EDIT: Spelling

I have just fitted a pair of these to my MK1 Focus.

These are a nice easy modification. And even though my Focus has sound deadening on the underside of the bonnet (mines is a diesel), it doesn't actually have to be removed to access the jets, the jets are mounted just behind the rear edge of the sound deadening.

-T

Whats the verdict on these. I have the Mk4 Mondeo. I am not sure if the distance from the jets to the screen is different or if it makes any difference from the Fiest/Focus cars

Whats the verdict on these. I have the Mk4 Mondeo. I am not sure if the distance from the jets to the screen is different or if it makes any difference from the Fiest/Focus cars

I have them in my focus and im very happy with them,

however we did have a mk3 mondeo owner who had fitted a set and was very disapointed with the results.

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to fitting these a few weeks ago, and it was very easy. Took 10 mins max thanks to the excellent guide on here.

But Like a few others on here I'm not that happy about where the jets are actually spraying onto my windscreen.

For me this is an issue with both width of spray and height.

In terms of width, I reckon that 1/3 of the water hits the screen where the wipers don't actually sweep, and this leaves a lot of soapy water on the driver & passenger side of the screen. This is wasted water, a wet arm/face if the window is down and the water is blown back in, and more dribbles back onto the cleaned screen (particularly on the passenger side)

In terms of height, even when stationary I find that all of the water hits the lower half of the screen and nothing actually hits the screen above mid-height, I actually have to wait for the wiper to sweep the water up there for me, and that means I'm spraying for longer than I normally would and so using just as much water (if not more) in the process. And ultimately that doesn't do as good a job of clearing a dirty screen as I would like (or as I got from the older jet type, where the water was actually directed to where it needed to be)

It's unfortunate really, because the quality of spray (foaminess etc) is excellent, it's just aimed in the wrong place.

Is it true that these jets can't be adjusted? Even if I have to put up with the width thing, I'd settle for a height adjustment so that the screen cleans better.

If the mist-type jets can't be adjusted, I may have to re-fit the standard jets. :(

Someone here - sorry can't recall who - added a dab of rubber glue to the bottom of the spray nozzle which pushes the spray slightly higher and also reduces run off.

• 2 weeks later...
I have them in my focus and im very happy with them, however we did have a mk3 mondeo owner who had fitted a set and was very disapointed with the results.

That was probably me, Lenny and I'm even more dissapointed now.

Not only do they squirt low but the jets now take 2 to 3 sweeps before the water comes out.

I'm sure my old ones were squirty on the first wipe. :(

That was probably me, Lenny and I'm even more dissapointed now.

Not only do they squirt low but the jets now take 2 to 3 sweeps before the water comes out.

sorry to hear that mate,

i wouldnt recommend them to anyone who has a mk3 mondeo then,

i have to say im still happy with them in the focus though so it seems to be trial and error with the various models.

that may indicate that the seal somewhere is allowing air in allowing the water to either drain back so having to fill the tubes up before it reaches the nozzle's.

To stop the water draining back try fitting one way fish tank valves to the pipes

that may indicate that the seal somewhere is allowing air in allowing the water to either drain back so having to fill the tubes up before it reaches the nozzle's.

Hmm.

I might try to wedge some thin plastic under them to raise my aim a bit.

Non return fishtank valves sounds good.

I might get a castle and some ferns while I'm at it. :-D

Hmm.

I might try to wedge some thin plastic under them to raise my aim a bit.

Non return fishtank valves sounds good.

I might get a castle and some ferns while I'm at it. :-D

Instead of LED you can use neons. (fish)

• 2 weeks later...

As these were designed for the mk3 focus only, they won't be set up perfectly on other cars, it may be a good idea if possible, to have a look at the new focus bonnet, and see where about they are placed and what sort of angle they are at to the windscreen, then try and adjust them to a similar position for the other models you are fitting them too

Just a suggestion :)

Instead of LED you can use neons. (fish)

How about an octopus?

A bucket n eight sponges, won't need the jets then.

• 2 weeks later...

This looks one of the cheapest and simplest but most effective mods so far-a great guide as well! By the way the heating element doesn't heat the water it just defrosts the jets if they are frozen up. I remember seeing a device a few years ago now where you cut your washer pipe from your bottle and tied a little tank to your top radiator hose and it kept the washer water hot all the time. Don't know if that's still available anywhere.

This looks one of the cheapest and simplest but most effective mods so far-a great guide as well! By the way the heating element doesn't heat the water it just defrosts the jets if they are frozen up. I remember seeing a device a few years ago now where you cut your washer pipe from your bottle and tied a little tank to your top radiator hose and it kept the washer water hot all the time. Don't know if that's still available anywhere.

thanks for the comment on the guide,

and ive found a passive water heater, here is the link

http://www.autoanything.com/driving-accessories/69A5007A0A0.aspx

it even says that hot water sprays out better than cold does, maybe they are right but im not sure lol

• 5 weeks later...

Easy - nice one.

They might be a bit low, spraying the screen on my mk2.5 focus.

I'll try them for a week or so, if so then i'll just add the old seals on as well to raise them up a lil and see what happens then!

Put a small blob of sillicone or glue on the bottom of the spray slot so as to lift the spray a little higher.

(I believe it was Jeebowhite that first came up with that idea, if I've credited the wrong User i apologise.)

I must say I quite like this upgrade :)

• 3 weeks later...

Before i purchase, out of random piece of mind... Is there companies that sell these colour coded? Or has everybody just got them in factory black.

Roger, i didnt think so but it was worth a check.

446_throne.jpg

To all future buyers of these mist type jets,

Paynes have hicked the price on these jets from £2.89 each to a staggering £15.00 each

claiming that for miss priced the item when they first went on sale.

i have since found this to be unTrue and as far as i can see Paynes are attempting to cash in on the modification scene.

for those who still wish to purchase the mist type jets in heated form Allen fords are continuing to sell them at the original and the best price of £2.89 each

Thank you Allen Ford

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c22f6bc34

There are some scalping buggers out there.

I can guess who's going to lose a fair bit of trade now.