Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Zetec S Tdci

SJamG

Hi There,

I am the owner of a VW Golf GT TDI (150bhp) and its getting a little long in the tooth! So I am interested in going for the new shape Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 TDCi.

I do around 78 miles a day and need something that will return high MPG, is reliable and looks good! My question is will i really notice the reduction in power? The Golf is 150bhp (236lb torque) vs the fiesta's 90bhp (156lb torque) and am concerned that it wont "shift". I realise that the Fiesta is lighter and have heard that it is nippy - but i dont want to get it then be disappointed in the performance. Obviously, I do expect some reduction in performance....

Also, what mods would you recommend to boost it a little? Not wanting to go crazy, but if i want a little more performance, can it be remapped safely (understand it will void my warranty)

I am really keen to hear your thoughts on this and thanks for reading!

Thanks

All I can suggest is you take a test drive of the 1.6 TDCI, I've never driven one or the Golf GTD, but I imagine you will feel a drop in power.

As far as remapping goes, I don't believe there's much if any available yet for the recently revised 95ps (DPF) version. But the 90ps (no DPF) can be remapped by many sources. Here's one:

Here's some stuff I found a wrote to a guy on FiestaOwnersClub about yday, hes got same as us and is going RSTuning on Saturday

RSTuning

All 1.6TDCi Mk6 (Same engine in ours)

'peeunit'

Before (with K&N)

Power: 104HP

Torque: 175FtLb

After

Power: 127.7HP

Torque: 215FtLb

'k33vrn'

Before (with meth kit)

Power: 98.7HP

Torque: 172FtLb

After

Power: 123.9HP

Torque: 210FtLb

'zstdci'

Before

Power: 96.2HP

Torque: 165FtLb

After

Power: 118.2HP

Torque: 200FtLb

Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply.

If i go to a garage and test drive the Zetec S, will it be the same as the one i'm looking at (2009)? Guess what i'm asking is, has there been any recent changes that would mean the 09 plate would be different?

Thanks

09 won't have metal pedals (only £50 from fords. Between that and the 10 plate model I think that is the only difference I found.

61 plate models have slightly different headlining and silver on vents and door handles and carpet type material on the back of the rear bench seats.

I think that's all of them. All internal, so only you would know really.

Thanks for the reply.

If i go to a garage and test drive the Zetec S, will it be the same as the one i'm looking at (2009)? Guess what i'm asking is, has there been any recent changes that would mean the 09 plate would be different?

Thanks

Different engine - dealers will have the 95bhp engine with DPF - 09 plate will be 90bhp (no DPF)

I don't know how they differ to drive, I have the 95bhp one.

if you can, get a 95ps one; think its from july 2010 onwards?

after having both i found the 90ps version more reluctant to rev. it even felt slower than the previous (mk6) fiesta before it! the 95ps version is more lively and girds it loins much more easily. its less hard work. In terms of tuning for this variant im not so sure though?

i havent driven a golf gtd but i expect the biggest difference to be found slightly higher in the rev range when the turbo is on song. i think for both versions of the TDCI unfortunately, this is where you'll notice the power/torque deficit the most as they run out of puff quite badly with their little turbos; whilst your golfs larger one would mean it would still be quite muscular.

But as MRC89 says, go for a test drive! if the performance isnt too big a difference for you then great, as mpg was never an issue. 45mpg on a 'bad' day? :D

I've just gone from a 325ti to a 61 plate 1.6 TDCI which arrived to date. I'm obviously taking it easy at the mo, but its nippier than I expected bearing in mind it has less than half the power of my last car.

Without sounding too sad, the power to weight ratio of the fiesta is pretty good because its so light. The biggest change will be the lack of torque.

As for remaps, Superchips are working on one for the 95ps engine because I've been in touch, but not sure if it is ready yet.

Wow - Thanks for all the replies! Really appreciate the advice.

I have a mate that has a 09 plate Fiesta who has offered to let me test drive his (his has a similar spec, 17" alloys, 90bhp etc), so it will give me a good indication if the car is for me!

Without sounding too sad, the power to weight ratio of the fiesta is pretty good because its so light. The biggest change will be the lack of torque.

I agree, but i'm kinda hoping that because the Fiesta is so much lighter than the golf, i will be pleasantly surprised!

I've just gone from a 325ti to a 61 plate 1.6 TDCI which arrived to date. I'm obviously taking it easy at the mo, but its nippier than I expected bearing in mind it has less than half the power of my last car.

This is good to know, how do you find the difference in torque?

Again, thanks for all the replies and hopefully will make a decision soon.....

the 1.6 TDCI is very remappable because it is the same engine used in the Citroen DS3 DSport, which gets 110hp and 200lbft.

its a shame that the people these days dictating the performance of an engine are the marketing department, not the engineering design department.

I fitted a tuning box to my 60 plate 1.6tdci 95bhp Fiesta, pushed it up to 115bhp. Much better all round feel and have now done 10000 miles (150 miles a day)and car is running faultless and my mpg average is 63mpg.

Wow - Thanks for all the replies! Really appreciate the advice.

I have a mate that has a 09 plate Fiesta who has offered to let me test drive his (his has a similar spec, 17" alloys, 90bhp etc), so it will give me a good indication if the car is for me!

I've only done 300 miles in other since it arrived yesterday afternoon and have been pleasantly surprised. It's not fast by any stretch of the imagination, but its happy cruising at 70 and there is more than enough grunt to move into lanes of faster traffic without causing any issues.

So far, I'm pretty happy with it. Even though the engine isn't broken in yet, it didn't use much fuel driving to Chester today.

I agree, but i'm kinda hoping that because the Fiesta is so much lighter than the golf, i will be pleasantly surprised!

This is good to know, how do you find the difference in torque?

Again, thanks for all the replies and hopefully will make a decision soon.....

After driving Diesels for quite a few years, I do find the Mk7 TDCi a bit gutless compared to many other diesels on the market. If your after a comparison between it and your Golf you'll be disapointed with the Fiesta, the power delivery is not smooth. I find my other car Focus 1.6 TDCi 110bhp has far better delivery and performance.

I will be looking at a 6-speed Focus TDCi next

Hope that helps

Bri

I fitted a tuning box to my 60 plate 1.6tdci 95bhp Fiesta, pushed it up to 115bhp. Much better all round feel and have now done 10000 miles (150 miles a day)and car is running faultless and my mpg average is 63mpg.

This is sounding like something i will need to do. If you dont mind me asking, where would i get one of these "Tuning Boxes" and roughly how much? ;)

Thanks

Got mine from here :

www.tdi-tuning.co.uk/

Was around £280 from memory. Plus it adds about £80-£100 to your insurance - if you tell them.

i went from a 206 2.0L HDi to a 1.4 TDCi and the power difference was loads, i've just had to change driving styles a bit, not a biggie

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club