Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing My Car Advice Please

Sara Fiesta

I have been adviced to sell my 1.6TDci as the cost of the DPF change at 75k will be £1400, I'm looking at buying another Focus diesel, I'm thinking about getting the 1.8TDci around the 09 registration is there any horror stories I should now about this engine, I know it's not as ecomonical and the tax is £110 (£75 more)and mpg drops by 10 mpg?

Thanks,

Sara.

• Like 1

Hi sara

How old is your 1600 and have you thought of having an aftermarket good quality one fitted by your local instead of main dealer

Have you checked through fordparts uk or our own partsman on this board how much one with a little discount is as changing your car/more tax/more fuel etc will cost you more than the replacement in the end not to mention the agro that comes with it

Jamie

i had the focus 1.8 tdci 06 reg (sadly not 09) but that car was wonderful! the only thing that made me sell was i wanted a petrol car. (not a big fan of diesel buses haa!) but honestly if you shop around and get a good deal and the right car there wonderful, mine was a titanium panther black 5 door model and drove beautiful, was so comfy inside, there was enough gadgets to keep a child happy for a year. also i did 50mpg for me, which i dont think is too bad for a 1.8 turbo diesel.

if you need any further advice or wanna know more about them in detail just message me through the private mails on here, (i tend to forget and not come back to check forums i posted in, stupid me)

I have been adviced to sell my 1.6TDci as the cost of the DPF change at 75k will be £1400, I'm looking at buying another Focus diesel, I'm thinking about getting the 1.8TDci around the 09 registration is there any horror stories I should now about this engine, I know it's not as ecomonical and the tax is £110 (£75 more)and mpg drops by 10 mpg?

Thanks,

Sara.

I don't know who give you that advice Sara, but I'll take a guess, it's not your friendlily Ford Dealer salesman by any chance? OK quoting £1,400 is scary, and to be honest it's a rip off.

Look you can pick up an after market DPF for £232 delivered, have it replaced at an Independent garage it's an hour of a job, hour and a half tops [it's only part of the exhaust system after all] Paying pound notes for the fitting of it, it cannot cost you more than £300 all in [that's including the cost of the new DPF] Then take the car to a Ford Dealership for the Eloys additive top up and ECU reset, £150 at a guess. So all in all the DPF replacement and Eloys top up will have cost you £450.

Look if your motor is showing circa 75K on the clock come service time, and you are not having issues with the DPF, then I suggest you just have the Eloys fluid topped up and reset. Ford are only covering themselves by scheduling the DPF for replacement at the 75K service. It could in reality do another 25K before it needs replacing, as long as it has the Eloys fluid available to aid the burn off of the soot during the "Passive Regeneration" cycle.

OK, lets assume your still not convinced:

You trade your 1.6 in against a 1.8 straight away you have lost money, that is the amount between what you get for the 1.6 as a trade in and what you would pay for the 1.6 if you were buying it from a Dealer instead of trading it it. The difference in the values is their profit margin. And that profit margin comes from one source only......... YOUR PURSE.

Example:

Using the Wisebuyers valuation link in my sig, I priced a 1.8TDCI Zetect on a 09 plate with 30k on the clock Retail: £9,850.

Now lets imagine you could just give the dealer £9,850 for the 1.8. he gives you the keys, you don't add another owner to the log book. You just drive it to a dealer in the next town and ask to Trade the car in for something else ...He offers you £7,930 Part X.

So you see £1,920 has just disappeared out of you purse in dealer profit margin. It don't matter that you are not going to resell your car an hour later. The reality is as soon as you buy it, at some point in the future you will be selling it minus the dealer margin. I only give you a real time same day buy sell example so you can see what it is costing you in pound notes.

So there you have it, if you were daft enough to pay through the nose via a Ford Dealer [£1,400] to have a DPF replaced. It is still cheaper than trading you 1.6 in to buy a 1.8 of the same year..[£1,920]

Conclusion:

If it was me Sara, I'd stick with the 1.6TDCi its cheaper to Tax and cheaper to run, and it is the devil you know, as against the Devil you don't. And if and when the DPF does need replacing I'd go the Independent garage route costing £300. That's assuming you shelled out £150 on an Eloys fluid top up at the 75K service time.

Anyway in the end it's up to you..............but think on, have you really got circa 2k burning a hole in a pocket, that your desperate to get shut of :rolleyes:

:ph34r: Hi Catch

you used my info and turned it into an essay good job man :ph34r:

Jamie

:ph34r: Hi Catch

you used my info and turned it into an essay good job man :ph34r:

Jamie

Yo James,

I wouldn't call it using your info as such, I've been posting on the subject of DPF's for years, along with the real cost of PX'ing motors, hence the links to same in my signature ;)

But lets just say, you explained the bare bones, then I came along and put some flesh on them :)

ha ha ure cool

at no point was i trying to p you off or have a go

:-)

Jamie

ha ha ure cool

Jamie

unless you want to keep changing cars dont buy the diesel fords brochures now state if you dont do a lot of miles then a diesel will not give you the mpg you expect and can have dpf issues earlier than the 75k stated even independantly its not worth it the extra cost for the diesel car then the extra cost of diesel added with eloys fluid etc if you really want a diesel then it seems pointless to change and youde be better doing as suggested order a dpf have it independantly fitted then go to ford for eloys fluid and diagnostics to clear the ecu either way its going to hurt thr wallet sorry purse

ha ha ure cool

Jamie

I know you weren't Jamie, so no need to explain yourself :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys my cars a 2009 45000 miles I was told the dpf was a main dealer only replacement!

Yo James,

I wouldn't call it using your info as such, I've been posting on the subject of DPF's for years, along with the real cost of PX'ing motors, hence the links to same in my signature ;)

But lets just say, you explained the bare bones, then I came along and put some flesh on them :)

It's a topic :lol: how can we avoid talking about the same thing .

ure so funny lenny :ph34r:

Iam going to lock myself in my car now :lol:

Jamie :-)

I do around 70 miles a day 4 days aweek thats why i opted for a diesel, by the way would Kwikfit fit a dpf ?

Thanks for the replys my cars a 2009 45000 miles

Well at your mileage you are two years away from the 75K service, so why are you worrying about DPF replacement or car swap now?

I was told the dpf was a main dealer only replacement!

You were obviously told wrong then.

As for Kwik Fit, well I would only go there if it was only to remind me why I don't go there :rolleyes:

• Like 1

ure so funny lenny :ph34r:

Iam going to lock myself in my car now :lol:

Jamie :-)

ah no need to be like that mate, :(

:D :lol:

• Like 1

I agree with Catch Sarah, why worry about it so soon, sounds to me like the dealer is in need of a cash boost, and as such they are trying to worry you into panic buying - a tactic very commonly used on woman visiting a dealer by themselves.

First of all, make srue that you keep the DPF (EOLYS) additive topped up and the car reset. The DPF can run for long past its life if you look after it, I have heard of originals making it up to 90+k as long as you make sure you give it enough time to heat up, and run the odd drive in a lower gear and high revs you will help to force a regen. I spent a lot of time researching the benefits of keeping and removing the DPF filter, and came across a few different findings.

You CAN use aftermarket parts, that includes fluid, granted that Ford didnt use them, and the lifespan may be either more or less reliable than the original parts, but as has been said, you can save yourself a lot of money and get the same job done with cheaper parts.

If you like the car, keep it, and pay for the replacement when its due.

You can either get it changed at the scheduled date - that will cost you the cost of the service and the parts, and the labour etc etc. - still likely to cost you up to £1400 - or you can buy the parts (fluid and filter) over a period of time between then and now, and wait until your car gets past the mileage, and then wait for it to go into limp home mode - its still going to cost you to replace it, but your not replacing it prematurely, and your not paying through the nose. so you could save even more money by pushing your car further than Ford want you to.

I really wouldnt worry about it. just ignore the garage, and choose another dealer, because they sound like they either are desperate for money, or they dont have a clue about the car their servicing!

Thanks for all the replies you all been very helpful, I'm going to keep it and worry about it nearer the time. It should be 3 years away at my current milage 