Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is There A Hidden Usb Port In A Mk4 Mondeo???

andthen

Hi there fellow mondy owner

I have a zetec spec model with various titanium extra's included...

one of which is the convers+ display system.

The car came with the ford rds 6006 with a aux in port in the glove box but no USB port. if the car was fitted with the sony dab unit it would have a USB port in the glove box...the sony , convers+ and steering wheel controls all work as one and work operate a USB device..

it is unusual for the zetec to be fitted with the convers+ , so my question is??..

is there a hidden USB port somewhere in the convers unit where i can plug a USB toggle stick , because the USB port that would of being in the glove box must plug into something????

from what picture's of the sony dab unit i have found online , there does not appear to be a USB port on it , front or rear.

if you are now completely confussed please sit down and have as stiff drink on me.. B)

Hi there fellow mondy owner

if you are now completely confussed please sit down and have as stiff drink on me.. B)

Welcome to the forum,

when you get a momment join photobucket and upload some pics of your motor,

then copy the URL address from the pics and paste them in your post on here so we can see it.

Id love a stiff drink,

instead im stuck at home on a saturday night with the laptop,

have you checked in the centre console mate?

and also are your footwell lights working or do you know about them ?

cheers chap ,

i will get some pics on here soon....

i trying to get some solid info before i set lose with the screwdriver;-)

i once blew a fuse box up in an orion years ago , so my good lady isn't as enthusiastic as me about taking the car apart:-))

• 3 months later...

My Titanium X (60 plate about 5 minutes before they fitted the daytime running lamps) has the Sony DAB Radio and only has an AUX 3.5mm audio jack in the glove compartment. i was hoping for the USB too - but I could only find mention of that in the radio that has the Sat Nav built in...

Works great with my daughter's iPod touch, where #7 on the volume is deafening, but my Samsung Galaxy S2 needs to have the radio cranked above 20 to get decent sound. V annoying!

Hope this helps...

Chris

incidentally, I'm impressed with the DAB, but I'm sure in FM mode Sony have made it sound crap on purpose!

Hi Chris

I found a few answers to this subject in the s-max section . There is a subject on there titled convers+ , lots of information and one users reply was most interesting........

To implement the USB port you need to upgrade the bluetooth module in the car to the later version & buy the additional wiring looms.

The USB wires to the bluetooth module, which in turn wires to the radio headunit.

You also need a radio with a sufficient firmware version to support the new bluetooth module & USB connection....end quote

I haven't tryed this myself yet but instead of using the aux port the play music you can use the cars bluetooth to play tunes of a iphone/other smart phone maybe?? .my friend does this on his s-max which has alot in common with our mondeos

cheers amigo ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have a 2010 Mondeo Titanium X and had the same issue, Even though advertised in the spec I only had a 3.5mm aux with the sony head unit and the USB was blanked out, However bluetooth worked with my iPhone 4. sales staff at fors garage useless. asked a guy in the Parts dept for a sloution. He kindly told me that the USB plug is part of the standard wiring loom and as such is behind the glove box. The USB socket was £2.70. I removed the glove box and found the USB plug neatly plugged into a blanked point on the left side of the glove box. I cut out the blank clipped in the USB and attached the plug. Connectede my iPhone and perfect now I have integrated iPhone.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hi

I have a 2010 Mondeo Titanium X and had the same issue, Even though advertised in the spec I only had a 3.5mm aux with the sony head unit and the USB was blanked out, However bluetooth worked with my Iphone 4. sales staff at fors garage useless. asked a guy in the Parts dept for a sloution. He kindly told me that the USB plug is part of the standard wiring loom and as such is behind the glove box. The USB socket was £2.70. I removed the glove box and found the USB plug neatly plugged into a blanked point on the left side of the glove box. I cut out the blank clipped in the USB and attached the plug. Connectede my Iphone and perfect now I have integrated Iphone.

Hope this helps.

Many Thanks for that i have a Zetec mk 4 estate and going to see if wiring i behind the glove box...Hope SO

• 2 weeks later...

Back to this one again guys.

Mike glad you found that out , I have just taken the glove box out and sure enough there was a blanked out plug on the left side with three wires into a six port plug , is this similar to the one in yours chap??

so next it is to fords for the plug

happy days ;-)

Hi,

This forum has been extremely helpful. I have a fird mondeo titanium 59 plate. My Sony 6 cd player often says 'unknown' when someone calls me on my phone through BT. Checked my iPhone and it's not that. After some searching found I might need to update my radio. But Ford website says thrust can do this through USB port. In my Car i can inly find an AUX point. After looking at this helpful thread I pulled out the glove box and found a 6 pin plug. So then I contacted Ford online to ask them where I could buy a USB port from to attach to this. They said they make no such part?! But when I read above a couple of people said they have brought the USB port, so could I ask where you brought it from.

Thanks for your help :)

• 5 months later...

I to am after this USB part. I have been told by a number of poeple that its around the £2.70 mark so assuming it must exist. But were from?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone got a part number for this usb loom that is ment to be £2.70? Ive been to me local ford parts and they were no help at all! and insisted it doesnt exsist. Any help on this would be great!

• 1 month later...

You guys have really got me interested, I too have only the aux port in the glovebox - or so I thought!

So presumably if I get the 6 pin to USB adaptor and then the usb/jack cable (£8.99 from amazon) to iPod cable I would have complete control over my iPod from the steering wheel.

Where can you buy the USB to 6 pin adaptor and what is the part number if anyone knows it?

Thanks - in eager anticipation

Stuart

Usb Connection from Ford part number 1543450

Bezel to make it tidy 1550778

Good luck ;)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi

Realise I'm replying to an old topic now - but I bought the USB connection 1543450 and the back of it looks like you plug in a female USB cable and not the 6 pin plug I have exposed from the side of the glovebox. So I appear to be short a piece of wiring or adapter - any thoughts?

Also bought that bezel and can't work out where that would snap in?

help?!

Hi Quiggles, The lead you found on the left hand side of the glove box is a rouge lead for some other use no one at Ford can figure out. I just sent my USB port back due to the wrong config. You need to do what it states earlier and that is too upgrade your stereo and BT module then you can attach a loom to the plug. I havent done this as i'm gonna look for another way.

Probably bad form to reference other forums, and I apologise for that, but I have included the link so the appropriate people are credited...

I did more research myself - the rogue cable appears to be something to do with the passenger airbag but the full story seems to be:-

www.fordmondeo.org/forum/printpost.php?tid/807994/

Behind the glove box you will find the main wiring harness.

On pre 08/2008 Mondeo's (fitted with BT/VT) there was an 8 pin socket and a plug looped wires to control the microphone wiring (6000/Sony or satnav).

On post 08/2008 Mondeo's (BT/VC now fitted as standard) there is a 22 pin socket and plug with looped wires, this varies the AUX socket wirng for BT/VC only (aux direct to stereo) or BT/VC+USB (aux to BT/VC module, stereo output from BT/VC module to stereo).

Therefore AUX socket in glove box has 3 wires.

If you can find a Ford dealer who knows how to upgrade the software on a BT/VC only module (later 19G488 with usb socket), you would only need to get :-

Cable Assembly 1543691 £20.14 Cable from the BVC to the USB Socket

Control AS 1543450 £3.15 USB Socket

Bezel 1540778 £5.55 Plate to mount USB in glove box

Otherwise you will need a 19C112 module as well.

Unfortunately I cannot post any pictures of the above socket, or it's exact position as my Mondeo was a 12/2007 build without BT/VC.

PLEASE NOTE

The date the wiring changed is given as 08/2008 by Ford, but any car built within a month or so of this date should be visualy checked (to confirm wiring)before ordering any parts.

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone. Just joined the forum and seen this topic. I know it's a bit old now, but the suggested fix seems inconclusive

I have a 2009 titanium with sony DAB/6 CD WITH 3.5mm jack plug AUX INPUT,but no USB. I have purchased the USB port and bezel following the advice in this thread.

I have removed my glovebox and found the 6 pin connector with 3 wires in it that is talked about.

My questions are

1. Is there a 6pin block connector to USB available from anywhere?

2. Where can I get one?

3. There is no blank in the glovebox to cut out for the USB bezel. Should there be?

Kind regards

David

• 1 month later...

Hey guys ,

Thanks for all the information above , i rang my local ford dealer last week and asked about this part , same again they said there is no such part , when i gave them the part number they said it doesnt even show on there system ,

Could you give me the contact number of which branch you got this from , going try pull some strings and show the dealer round here how rubbish they are ,

Just to confirm will i need to update my system once i install this USB port , i have the convers+ system already in my 58 Mondeo titanuim .

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan

I have been round this very topic for my own 2009 titanium. It is confusing to say the least, but the topic has been covered in detail on this forum. Basically after I had bought the USB socket and cable from my local dealer it still wouldn't work. The key before you do anything is to take the glovebox out and note down or photograph the bluetooth module. There is a list of modules and part numbers on this forum that tell exactly what the module can do. For instance my module will not drive a USB port. The cable I bought from the dealer plugs into the bluetooth module. Mine has no plug for this cable to mate with.

Sorry if this is old news now. But don't buy anything till you know the bluetooth module part number.

David

• 7 months later...

Hi Guys, Just signed up to get information on this tread..

I'm from Australia and I've just bought an 08 Xr5 Turbo Mondeo. It doesn't have bluetooth however I may add it later. Will my mondeo have the ability to add the USB port by purchasing the parts mentioned above?

Thanks in advance!!

There's a Jack point in the glovebox, I've never used it but it's there

Sent from my HTC One X using Ford OC mobile app

I do believe that all that's required is a usb connector for the end of the cable which is usually taped up behind the glovebox liner.

Sent from my SM-G900F

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I do believe that all that's required is a usb connector for the end of the cable which is usually taped up behind the glovebox liner.

Sent from my SM-G900F

If I ever get a decent bit of weather when I'm not working I'll definitely have the glove box out and see if I can find this cable.If it's not there at least I'll be able to see what module I have.My Mondeo is a 2010 on a 60 plate with a build date of 26.03.10 so fingers crossed.