Sam C

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Name: Sam
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi Mark VII
  • Year: 2011

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:16 AM

I've noticed the hesitation in power. The step is much more noticeable in the 1.6 than the 1.4. I struggled with it at first, but I've got used it now. It's much more noticeable than in other diesels I've driven.

I'm not sure about the pedals tbh, I have the interior pack 1 which includes the pedals under the list of extra bits. I did think they were standard on the Zetec S though.

Hope you enjoy your new car.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Loz Cheung

Loz Cheung

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Name: Lorenzo
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST-2
  • Year: 2013

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:11 AM

Another thing I notice is that I don't have the metal pedals, its a Zetec S 2012 spec car but should it not still have came with them ?

how strange! take it back, they were made a standard fit about 2 years ago?
enjoy your car, had one exactly the same and miss the relaxed nature of driving a diesel! (and doing 80mph without thinking about mpg :D )
Just dont short shift when nipping out in front of lorries! it is just a diesel thing, the lag and throttle response require a bit of getting used to if you've just come from petrol. I still get caught out going into my dads freelander - its even worse with an auto box stuck on it! the amount of gestures i get when i misjudge gaps :(

#18 Jack7

Jack7

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Name: Jack
  • Ford Model: Fiesta TDCi Zetec S
  • Year: 2009

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:10 PM

Im currently looking to buy a 1.6 tdci zs, currently drive a mk6.5 1.2 zetec, does this mean i wont feel much of a power difference going from it to a mk7 zs?

#19 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,569 posts
  • Name: Nathan
  • Ford Model: Molten Orange Fiesta ST-2
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:01 PM

Im currently looking to buy a 1.6 tdci zs, currently drive a mk6.5 1.2 zetec, does this mean i wont feel much of a power difference going from it to a mk7 zs?

Oh you will, especially the torque!

#20 Sam C

Sam C

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:38 PM

I'm guessing 0-60 won't be too different, bit the torque will make it feel much faster. The 1.6 feels faster than the performance figures suggest. I've come from a 325 and don't find it that had, although I do miss the noise of my old straight six. A lot!

I've been impressed with my cars cruising ability on the motorway, it feels like a much bigger car than it is.

#21 Jack7

Jack7

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:16 PM

I drive a lot of country roads so will I feel it more then? On those roads atm I need to sometime slow down behind people going 40 then speed up etc and my 1.2 just struggles constantly, so annoyin!

#22 Sam C

Sam C

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:51 PM

I drive a lot of country roads so will I feel it more then? On those roads atm I need to sometime slow down behind people going 40 then speed up etc and my 1.2 just struggles constantly, so annoyin!

It will feel loads better in those situations because of the additional torque.

#23 Spooler

Spooler

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Name: J
  • Ford Model: Zetec S 1.6 TDCi

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:09 PM

Sorry Sam C, I should have started a new thread about the TDCi hesitation thing cos it looks like I've stole
your "new car" thread and its strayed of topic, Sorry.

I'll have to phone the dealer about the peddels not being metal one's.
I can't go around with the only ZS with rubber one's!!!

About diesels having lag, I've driven loads of deisels espiecaly work vans (direct injection and common rail)
and I've never experianced lag, you just feed them gears and they pull!!!

The car has a nice spread of torque other wise, its addictive, I keep putting the foot down in high gears just to
feel it pull.

#24 Sam C

Sam C

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:27 AM

No worries Spooler. I've driven a few diesel cars in my time and they've never had such a step in performance. As I said before, the 1.4 doesn't have it, it just seems to be the 1.6.

I've found that shifting when the car tells you, drops you right out of the power band, which can be a pain. I think its just a characteristic of this engine. Let me know how you get on with Ford if you take it back.

#25 MRC89

MRC89

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Ford Model: MK7 Fiesta Zetec S
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:12 AM

It probably wouldn't be as quick as an equivalent sized petrol engine on very twisty country lanes, however, it'll be quicker than your 1.2 and when your going along the straighter parts you'll have plenty of torque (more than the equivalent petrol) to overtake those annoying slow drivers!

Say in the situation you mentioned above, with the 1.6 diesel you'd have no problem going from 40-60 in a very short time and then be able to maintain that speed with ease and comfort. (you'd still have plenty of torque on tap to keep pulling from above 60 too)

The Fiesta, and particularly the Zetec S is a joy to drive on twisty lanes, but there's always a few slow people to ruin your fun :(

EDIT: Love the car Sam, looks great, picked some of the best options too.

#26 Jack7

Jack7

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:33 AM

It probably wouldn't be as quick as an equivalent sized petrol engine on very twisty country lanes, however, it'll be quicker than your 1.2 and when your going along the straighter parts you'll have plenty of torque (more than the equivalent petrol) to overtake those annoying slow drivers!

Say in the situation you mentioned above, with the 1.6 diesel you'd have no problem going from 40-60 in a very short time and then be able to maintain that speed with ease and comfort. (you'd still have plenty of torque on tap to keep pulling from above 60 too)

The Fiesta, and particularly the Zetec S is a joy to drive on twisty lanes, but there's always a few slow people to ruin your fun :(

EDIT: Love the car Sam, looks great, picked some of the best options too.

Awesome, thats exactly what im wanting, cuz atm if I get caught behind someone in my 1.2 I lose all my power and need to build up the momentum all over again! I basically have to drive with my foot on or very near the floor constantly, and thats not me speeding! haha.

cheers guys :)

Jealous of yous all, im hoping to change mine as soon as just need to find a dealer who will negotiate a bit with me!

#27 Nicola 88

Nicola 88

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 1.6 TDCI

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:25 AM

But your pictures show metal pedals? I thought those were the ones which came with the Zetec S, mine is a normal zetec and look nothing like the ones you have.

I have a 1.6 TDCI and it took me a while to get used to the lag, glad to know its not just me though :) Once you get used to it though its such a fun car to drive :D

#28 MRC89

MRC89

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Ford Model: MK7 Fiesta Zetec S
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:32 PM

Awesome, thats exactly what im wanting, cuz atm if I get caught behind someone in my 1.2 I lose all my power and need to build up the momentum all over again! I basically have to drive with my foot on or very near the floor constantly, and thats not me speeding! haha.

cheers guys :)

Jealous of yous all, im hoping to change mine as soon as just need to find a dealer who will negotiate a bit with me!

I started out my driving life in a 1.25l fiesta, so I know the feeling! Diesels do cope better in those situations, due to the much higher torque figures.

#29 Jack7

Jack7

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:59 PM

I started out my driving life in a 1.25l fiesta, so I know the feeling! Diesels do cope better in those situations, due to the much higher torque figures.

I'm looking forward to having a bit of extra oomph when im driving :D

Im just between getting a grey or a white one :)

#30 Sam C

Sam C

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:26 PM

Don't forget less trips to Mr Shell garage!

I'm getting just over 500 miles out of a tank across a range of driving. Which I don't think is too bad because diesels take a bit longer to loosen up.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users