Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Bonnet Not Opening

yoshi

I have a focus 2006 and my bonnet is not wanting to open. When i put the key in the front of my bonnet it turns left and right but it does nothing, It feels like its not catching on to anything. I have heard from a few ford owners that they know at least 2 people that it has happened too so it must be a common fault (stupid design fault). There has got to be sum sort of way of getting in to the bonnet with out paying the stupid prices they charge at ford. If anyone has any ideas please help me. Thanks.

I have a focus 2006 and my bonnet is not wanting to open. When i put the key in the front of my bonnet it turns left and right but it does nothing, It feels like its not catching on to anything. I have heard from a few ford owners that they know at least 2 people that it has happened too so it must be a common fault (stupid design fault). There has got to be sum sort of way of getting in to the bonnet with out paying the stupid prices they charge at ford. If anyone has any ideas please help me.

Thanks.

try lifting the bonnet at the same time, it may have jammed, if that is no good,,, its only an idea, remove the small shield below the bumper, you should be able to reach the latch, its a bit of fiddle but worth having a go..

I have a focus 2006 and my bonnet is not wanting to open. When i put the key in the front of my bonnet it turns left and right but it does nothing, It feels like its not catching on to anything. I have heard from a few ford owners that they know at least 2 people that it has happened too so it must be a common fault (stupid design fault). There has got to be sum sort of way of getting in to the bonnet with out paying the stupid prices they charge at ford. If anyone has any ideas please help me.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum :)

Try This

Hope you stick around long enough to tell us if it fixed your problem.

Fix on the other thread you started :rolleyes:

One problem one thread please!

Welcome to the forum :)

Hope you stick around long enough to tell us if it fixed your problem.

Keep watch on all 3 of his threads

on this topic of the bonnet lock, for more info laugh.gif

thanks for all the advice, i tried the long screwdriver trick, it didn't work, so when i get sum free time at the weekend i am gonna take the engine undercover off and try and get my hand it there, i might be able to have a feel around and pop something up. its so frustrating, i will do it some how. i might smash my grill and see if i can get in to it that way, a grill on eBay is only about 20 quid. i will keep you posted.

• 3 weeks later...

got it sorted at the weekend. i rang up ford and they said it was gonna be about £220 for them to get in to the bonnet and to fix the problem with a new grille.

i was not gonna pay £220 out, so went up north to see the family and my mum said the mechanic they deal with is good and knows his stuff, so i gave him a ring Friday he quoted me about £40 to £90 depending on what was wrong with it. i dropped the car off on Saturday morning, it was there for about 3 hours. got the phone call to say it had been done (happy days) went down to pick it up and he charged me 50 quid. he said it was just badly seized. he striped the mechanism and cleaned it then put loads of lube on it when it was back together. i would recommend this small independent garage to anyone.

GRAHAMS AUTOS

CAR AND VAN service AND REPAIR

2A, SHEFFIELD ROAD

BIRDWELL

BARNSLEY

SOUTH YORKSHIRE

S70 5UZ

01226 288633

• Like 1

I love a happy ending.

Little garages know their nuts and bolts so they can offer a different level of service to large dealers.

• Like 2

the smaller garages are always the better ones. still don't have a clue how he got in to the bonnet with out smashing the grille. oh well its finally done.

HERES WHAT HAPPENED TO ME, WENT TO OPEN THE BONNET AND THE KEY TURNED IN THE LOCK BUT NO CLICK OR UNLOCK

IF YOU LOOK BEHIND THE GRILL AT THE TOP YOU CAN SEE THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREWS THAT HOLD THE GRILL IN PLACE, THINK THERES ABOUT 5, I USED A CHISEL TO CUT THE OFF, NEXT THE GRILL IS CLIPPED IN LEFT AND RIGHT AT THE BOTTOM, JUST PULL THE GRILL TOWARDS YOU, BE CAREFUL YOU DONT SCRAPE YOUR PAINT WORK WITH THE CLIPS ON THE BOTTOM OF THE GRILL, FROM HERE GRAB THE LOCK BARREL AND TWIST IT TO OPEN, JUST USE THE BARREL AS A KEY, YOU CAN THE THEN PUT THE GRILL BACK IN, MESS ABOUT WITH YOUR ENGINE CLOSE THE BONNET AND IF YOU NEED BACK IN THEN PULL THE GRILL OUT AS THE SCREWS HAVE BEEN CHISELED OFF

THE GRILL IS STILL SECURE WHEN DRIVING

THIS SAVES YOU BUYING A NEW GRILL, NO MATTER WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO BUY A NEW LOCK, YOUR OLD ONE IS GUBBED

I WENT TO A FORD GARAGE AND GOT A NEW LOCK, IT ONLY COST £36 SO WASNT TO BAD, THAT INCLUDED FITTING

HOPE THIS HELPS PEOPLE

DAVE

Hi all....a 'newbie' here (although have been a regular reader for a while).

I'm having the same sort of problem - my bonnet wont 'pop' when I turn the key.

I've tried the screwdriver tip but no joy there - the key just continues left & right with no 'clicking'.

I've removed the stone tray under the front of the car and can get my hand up to the black tube between the barrel and the catch mechanism but I'm at a loss to what to do next.

I need to get into the engine bay to replace a headlight bulb and I'm due to get shut of the car in the next couple of weeks - I dont want to spend a fortune at a dealer sorting this out as I'm only gonna have the car for around 10 days.

Can anyone offer any other ideas on how I can get the bonnet catch to unlock?

trust me you can get your hand up there with a 10mm spanner or 10mm socket to undo the 2 bolts that hold the lock to the car, its tight but it can be done as i have succesfully done this only 2 months ago when it happened to mine,

1: Undersheild off

2: Make sure car is jacked up on axle stands (so you have room)

3: Reach up between radiator and engine block

4: Feel the 2 10mm nuts that hold lock on and remove the 2 nuts

5: Get out from under the car and you will need to tug the bonnet a little then hey presto bonnet undone...

6: Seperate bonnet catch fromk the lock removed and replace or fix....

• 2 years later...

I have just tried to replace my front drivers side indicator bulb but guess what the bonnet would not open. I looked at my other focus (not that I am a fan or anything) and noticed that the latch is about a foot back from the leading edge of the bonnet. I pressed the bonnet hard in the area of the latch and then tried the key again - it opened :) I changed the bulb and sprayed the lock with WD40 then closed the lid - sadly it appears the lock needs further attention as I still need to press on the bonnet to open it - but the trick appears to be repeatable.

• Like 1

I always put pressure on the bonnet when doing the first turn of the key.

It helps to reduce friction on the lock and saves the key twisting too.

A sprsy of motorbike chain grease helps too (sticks better than normal grease and doesn't run off).

When you use the long screwdriver trick it needs quite a whack sometimes to push the anti tamper back in I think when people say it don't work there being a bit to delicate had to do mine a few weeks back after puttin a Zsigmondy grill on it took quite a thump to relocate it .could be worse though ever had a mondy one go that's a drill out job you have to drill to high tensil sheer bolts out not easy done a few.

Catherine if you read through this post you should be able to pick the bones out of it to get the bonnet open you will need a long screwdriver remove the rubber boot from around the lock mech with the screwdriver and you will see a white plastic piece put the screwdriver on that and give it a whack as it takes quite a thump to relocate the anti tamper .i take it you've had the grill or something off recently.

• Like 1

Catherine if you read through this post you should be able to pick the bones out of it to get the bonnet open you will need a long screwdriver remove the rubber boot from around the lock mech with the screwdriver and you will see a white plastic piece put the screwdriver on that and give it a whack as it takes quite a thump to relocate the anti tamper .i take it you've had the grill or something off recently. No grill hasn't been off I went to put water in washers one day think I turned key right too harshly and hasn't opened since that...need bulbs on passengers side too so it's an nuisance ATM...

Try the screw driver fix if not have to come back on here for more advice whereabouts are you located there might be someone one here from your area who might be able to lend some assistance

• 1 year later...

recently had a bit of an accident (ploughed through various branches and bushes) and apart from everything else bonnet wont open, when i turn the key left it makes a click but tnot the usual one that it should do, turning the key takes basically zero effort aswell, would the screw driver trick work in this case or could it be something else? whats peoples thoughts?

got it open using the screwdriver trick but with a twist, didnt have a screwdriver long enough so i hunted high and lw for something to use, eventually came across the rod that is used to hold the spare wheel in place in the boot which work brilliantly was able to get a much easier grip because the end fits into the palm better and there was no need for cutting any of the grill which ive seen a few people do to fit there screwdriver in.

• Like 1