Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scraping when turning right

Fayzie

Every time i turn right in the Steet Ka the car makes a little scraping noise "shshshsshshshshs".

I have had 2 peices of advice, 1 being the wheel baring and 2 being the power steering pump.

Has anyone had the same problem or have a clue what it is or could be???

Thanks in advance!!!

Every time i turn right in the Steet Ka the car makes a little scraping noise "shshshsshshshshs".

I have had 2 peices of advice, 1 being the wheel baring and 2 being the power steering pump.

Has anyone had the same problem or have a clue what it is or could be???

Thanks in advance!!!

Might sound stupid but also check behind the wheels, i once had a similar experience when a dried leaf got trapped in a brake caliper, drove me nuts till i removed the wheels one by one and spotted it.

Also, you wouldn't by any chance have a set of mudflaps on the car that could be catching when turning right? ( just a thought as my sons car would make a scraping noise every once in a while, turned out it was the flaps hitting the ground when he turned a corner! )

If it were a bearing it would make more of a rythmical clunking/knocking noise.

Might sound stupid but also check behind the wheels, i once had a similar experience when a dried leaf got trapped in a brake caliper, drove me nuts till i removed the wheels one by one and spotted it.

Also, you wouldn't by any chance have a set of mudflaps on the car that could be catching when turning right? ( just a thought as my sons car would make a scraping noise every once in a while, turned out it was the flaps hitting the ground when he turned a corner! )

If it were a bearing it would make more of a rythmical clunking/knocking noise.

the noise you said is common with power steering.

it usually happens when on full lock or near full lock.

The main thing that worried me was that the car has never made this noise before.

It's not when it's on full lock either. I could turn a little and hear the noise. It's nothing loud, you have to sit in complete silence to hear it, but the more i turn right the louder it gets. Turning left doesn't seem to be a problem.......

I just don't want someone telling me it's the pump and it not be... It's the bill i am worried about.

Definitely sounds more like a bearing going. Jack the car up on the side it sounds to be coming from. Grab wheel at 10 to 2 and wobble, any movement and its the bearing.

• 4 weeks later...

I started getting the same problem about 2 months ago - a scraping noise coming from the passenger side wheel when I make right turns (as if the tyre was rubbing against the plastic wheel arch). It doesn't happen on full lock and it doesn't happen when I'm turning on gentle corners either, just on 90 degree right turns.

At first I thought some debris or a build up of mud had got caught under the wheel arch but I've had a good look and this isn't the case.

I don't have power steering so I don't think this can be the cause.

My mate who works in a tyre garage said the sound it makes is nothing like you'd expect from a wheel bearing problem. He suggested getting the wishbone suspension checked.

I haven't taken it to a garage to get checked yet so can't really offer advice on what your problem might be but thought I'd let you know you aren't alone. Let us know if you work out the cause.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club