Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo Tdci Start Up Issues

DC1982

HI all

First time to the site hoping someone can help?

Just bought a 54 plate Mondeo tdci (115bhp). I noticed that on cold start up it runs really lumpy for a few minutes and that there's a large plume of white smoke (not condensation) from the back which seems to smell of either fuel or oil - I cant quite tell. After the initial smoke and erratic idea it settles down and is fine.

I changed the air filter, fuel filter, oil and filter and cleaned the EGR valve (which was nearly full of carbon deposit!). I have put injector cleaner through but the problem still persists. I thought it might be an injector issue but the car is still returning 51 mpg on a daily 90 mile commute and the injectors were remapped by previous owner a few years ago.

Can anyone give me any ideas on what the problem could be or what to look at? I know if its not broke don't fix it applies ect but its not pleasant filling the drive or carpark at work with a plume of smoke everyday!

Thanks for any help

I'm not a scare mongerer but White smoke is water, blue smoke is oil, White smoke smelling of oil would point to a head gasket.

Garages can check the coolant with a gas indicator to tell wether the gasket is leaking gas into the coolant.

Im confident that its not a head gasket, the oil and water are both fine and the smoke smells of diesel not oil. I have changed the glow plugs today so will wait and see if that makes a difference....

the white smoke could be unburnt diesel.. Possible injector issues?

Was confident that it wasn't injectors due to no issues with performance or mpg. Changed the glow plugs yesterday, as well as cleaning the inlet manifold and now my idle problem and white smoke problem has dissapeared. Must have been one or more faulty glow plugs not heating properly. My guess looking at how dirty they were they had never been changed!

• Like 2

Was confident that it wasn't injectors due to no issues with performance or mpg. Changed the glow plugs yesterday, as well as cleaning the inlet manifold and now my idle problem and white smoke problem has dissapeared. Must have been one or more faulty glow plugs not heating properly. My guess looking at how dirty they were they had never been changed!

i had issues with my car not idling too good when cold, but no smoke. after cleaning the egr valve out its all back to normal.

nice work mate :)

GRRRRR was fine for a few days now is back with a vengence, lots of white smoke and erratic idle on cold start up!

Think I will have to take it for a engine diagnostic as I am out of ideas. Anyone got any suggestions?

thanks

I'm have same problems I had to change the map sensor and maf sensor just waiting for the Ecu to learn there is new sensor fingers crossed

Was that something picked up by a diagnostic? There seems to be lots of information online about people with similar issues but not many people with resolutions!

What was the damage on the sensors?

Cheers

Yes was picked up with a snap on diagnostics I paid £130 for both sensors but have tO wait for Ecu to learn there is new sensors

sounds like a leaking injector overnight which then causes over fueling in the morning,a leak off test will see if all the injectors are running the same.

Had a engine diagnostic today and there were no fault codes at all! The only thing I noticed was that there didn't appear to be a fuse (60amp) in the fuse box for the glow plug. The garage suggested putting a voltmeter across the plugs on code start up to see if there's power to the plugs. I have put a fuse in today as I guess there's not much chance of power if there's no fuse!Il run a meter reading in the morning as well to make sure theres power to the glow plugs as the garage still seem convinced its a glow plug issue.

Would injector issues not show up on the diagnostic? How can I check to see if theres leak off?

Thanks

Had a engine diagnostic today and there were no fault codes at all! The only thing I noticed was that there didn't appear to be a fuse (60amp) in the fuse box for the glow plug. The garage suggested putting a voltmeter across the plugs on code start up to see if there's power to the plugs. I have put a fuse in today as I guess there's not much chance of power if there's no fuse!Il run a meter reading in the morning as well to make sure theres power to the glow plugs as the garage still seem convinced its a glow plug issue.

Would injector issues not show up on the diagnostic? How can I check to see if theres leak off?

Thanks

if your injectors are leaking your car will smoke heavy when you start it first thing in the morning, as the piston chaimber will be full of fuel,

also take note of your miles left on the tank of fuel, last thing at night,

then check again first thing in the morning to see if your losing fuel mate.

• 1 year later...

What was the outcome of this as I have the same problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

It will definatley be the injectors! I've had like 10 mondeos do it! The only problem is is finding the injector that is leaking and when you do if you don't have a virginalised fuel pump you may need them coding. You will find that it will knock its !Removed! of in the morning and then run fine!