#16 dougies st

dougies st

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Name: dougie
  • Ford Model: ST
  • Year: 2008

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:50 PM

hey dude, I did go a bit over the top with my explanation on how to fix it. but that really is a step by step on how to fix it.

I could have just said remove the plastic trims, access the copper foil and rubber block solder on a new bit of longer cable and put it all back together.

I came across a few problems that I managed to overcome, thats why I done it in so much detail.

It really is an easy fix. you can pick up a solder iron from b&q for less than 10, a bit cable, a knife and some tape.

Thanks for reading my guide dude

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 bondquest

bondquest

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Name: Ben
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Petrol Xetec

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

Back from work now, so I can go on a bit more like the grumpy middled aged man that I am.

First, thanks to the guy who made the video in the first place. Despite the "rear" windscreen bit I understood everything you meant. A very nice explanation.

Second, thanks to Dougie for the quick response. Well done mate for fixing yours. The reasons I can't do it myself are;

• I'm over 50, and can't see anything close up
  • I've got fingers like jumbo sausages

I might be able to find a mate, or a mate's son who could have a go. I guess even if you fail it's no loss, as it doesn't work anyway (I should add here that I haven't actually checked the foil strip yet, as it's pitch black out there, and I can't afford a house with a drive, let alone a garage. But if it isn't I'll bare my ar*e in Binns window).

I've got a mate at work who's got a 55 plate Fiesta, and he told me his drivers side FSH had packed in. Is this the same problem?

Can you get banned from these forums for saying you hate Ford?

I've had this Focus since it was a year old with 7500 on the clock. I had to have a new clutch last year at 35000 miles. What's that all about?

Plus my daughter's got an 04 Ka she's had for 3 years. Don't get me started on that. Let's just say the raw materials and the build quality aren't the best.

Wow I feel really great now I've got that of my chest.

Think I'll go outside and put a big chip in the screen, and get a new one on the excess. Or maybe Ford could replace it free of charge as it's obviously a design fault.

Once I'mm 100% sure it's the foil strip, I'm gonna take back to the dealer for his "expert" diagnosis, or to Autoglass who put a replacement in 18 months ago to see what they say. I'll play dumb tho.

Ta Ta for now

#18 dougies st

dougies st

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:17 PM

I wouldn't trust their "expert" diagnosis as far as I could chuck them.

I had my car 6 months took it to a " good " ford dealer, They took it in in the morning, I phoned up at 3pm to see how it was getting on, The girl said I will go check etc. So she comes back and says MR Millar the dash has been taken out of the car and we are testing your window so I don't think you will get the car back today. 35mins later I get a call Mr Millar your car is ready to pick up !

2 weeks after that I get a call from the ford team. Mr Millar unfortunately we wont be repairing your car under warranty as you had the window replaced and its not a genuine ford part. So hands up to them they got me on that one ( it was replaced by the previous owner ) I asked the guy how they would check the window etc and he said all they do is check the window is a ford part. If it is then they replace the window most of the time they get auto glass in so make sure it has the ford logo on it !

fortunately I'm an electrician so I know how to fix these kinds of things. If you get someone who is handy with a solder iron then the fix is very easy. If you follow that step by step it really isnt hard, you dont need to do anything more

#19 bondquest

bondquest

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Name: Ben
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Petrol Xetec

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:37 AM

It isn't a genuine Ford part as far as I'm aware (the replacement w/screen).

None of this surprises me about Ford. When I had the clutch replaced the car was out of warranty anyway but I thought I'd ask. The guy at the service desk said "clutches aren't covered by Ford warranty. If want a warranty like that you need to buy a Mercedes or a Saab or something like that!!!!!!"

What devotion to the badge.

#20 dougies st

dougies st

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:46 AM

since your out of warenty you have no chance really.

If you know a young electrician who is interested in cars im sure he could fix it for you folling the guide.

I have fixed a good few up by my way. I do it in their drive or out on the street.

Your clutch, I guess its a wear and tear part so wont be coverd under warenty ? unless it went really quick once you got the car? but the way I see it... a good quality built car should not need a new clutch before 3 years :P

#21 Bigdaddycain

Bigdaddycain

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Name: Ste
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus 2.0 TDCI 6SPD titanium estate
  • Year: 2005

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:57 AM

Guess what? My drivers side quiclear is kaput also... (does this mean that LHD versions pack up on their drivers side also?) Thanks to the confidence given in the repair guide, i'll take a look at the ribbon this saturday and report back... I'll tell you what though... I'll bet you a spicy pot noodle that if i can manage to fix it, then the weather will suddenly, and miraculously turn mild! :angry:

#22 Bigdaddycain

Bigdaddycain

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Name: Ste
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus 2.0 TDCI 6SPD titanium estate
  • Year: 2005

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

Thanks to Dougies ST (for the heads up) And my mate, (for his soldering skills) Both sides of my heated front screen now work B)

I thought i'd drop a few piccies onto this thread for the sake of top up info...

Plug to heated screen removed, end stripped, and extention cable in situ

Posted Image

Plug going to the "copper" ribbon removed and being soldered onto an extension piece of cable (so the "ribbon" is long enough to re-route later)

Posted Image

One of the trickier bits of this otherwise pretty simple repair is the soldering on the repair cable to the ribbon...The bonnet getsd in the way when it's open, so we popped the bonnet down, protected it, and soldered the extension to the ribbon (tricky) The cable end was splayed as much as possible to help simulate the width of the ribbon....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Once soldered, heat shrinked, then loomed for good measure, the cable and ribbon is now long enough to re-route under the wiper motor mechanism out of harms way... So with luck, this repair SHOULD be permanent.... Having said that, the ribbon still had to be cable tied right up under the bulkhead to keep it away from that pesky chafing wiper mechanism...Fingers crossed for a long term repair....

Screen working B)

Posted Image

#23 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Name: Garrie
  • Ford Model: Focus Ghia 1.6 (100PS)
  • Year: 2006

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:34 PM

Still a *wee* bit confused about this fault and fix.

So, am I right to believe that the fault develops NOT in the ribbon itself, but in the wire which connects to the ribbon? And that the fix is to leave the ribbon intact and simply cut out and replace (via soldering) the wire connecting to the ribbon with a longer one?

Seems strange to me that the fault develops in the wire when the chafing action appears to happen on the ribbon and not the wire (according to the video in the first post, anyway).

I haven't yet taken the wipers etc off to have a look at what the problem with mine is, but I'm assuming its the same issue the rest of you are having, as it's the same symptoms (driver's side windscreen heating failing, passenger's side fine).

Thanks in advance for anybody who can clarify!

#24 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Name: Garrie
  • Ford Model: Focus Ghia 1.6 (100PS)
  • Year: 2006

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

Anyone? (Above post).

#25 quadrophenic

quadrophenic

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Name: Jonathan
  • Ford Model: 62 Focus Zetec S
  • Year: 2012

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

my car has just developed this fault and i have removed the covers etc to find the ribbon has ripped but unfortunately it is very close to where the ribbon joins the screen so its hard to get to. can the ribbon be removed from the windscreen? has anyone had any joy out of complaining to ford?

UPDATE: I thought I would chance my arm and call the company that installed my new windscreen in January this year. They are now going to replace the whole screen under warranty! HAPPY DAYS! Excellent customer service!

No soldering for me this time!

#26 crazybunny

crazybunny

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: Jacqui
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST
  • Year: 2007

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:22 PM

I've got a Fiesta ST 2007 and was hoping dougie's instructions would sort my windscreen issue too, however, I fell at step 7 when removing the plastic trim didn't expose the windscreen wiper bars.  :o( I guess the Fiesta is too different. There was a big plate in the way, and I couldn't see the ribbon or wire, or connection. The plate looked way too complicated for me to start trying to remove. Has anyone successfully carried out this fix on a Fiesta ST??

#27 Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Name: Rob
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 Tdci Sport
  • Year: 2011
Contributor

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

@crazybunny

Unless a 2007 Fiesta ST has a totally different windscreen and wiring layout from the Mk6.5 Fiesta I had then you'll find the connections to a heated front windscreen on a Mk6 (or facelift Mk6.5) behind the plastic A-pillar trim panels inside the car.  There's one connection each side located about halfway down the pillar.

If I remember correctly then the driver's side is the +12V feed and the passenger side has the earthing bolt.  The rear washer pipe goes up the left hand (passenger) pillar and the radio aerial lead goes up the right hand (driver) pillar; can't remember which side the courtesy light wiring is though.

HTH.

#28 thespellofrepetition

thespellofrepetition

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: Louise
  • Ford Model: Focus

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

Hi, I just wanted to say that I'm a 25yr old female, and based on the instructions given on this thread, I was able to complete this fix & now have a fully working heated windscreen in time for winter!

I was able to strip down the car correctly which took me about 5 mins.
I found that the ribbon connecting to the windscreen had been torn in 2 places by the constant battering from the wiper arm, which when I touched, fell away completely as it was barely even still attached! (Clear to see that's why my screen hasn't been working for a while!)

I then traced the cable to back to the plug and unplugged it.

I had to trim away the rest of the damaged ribbon which was still attached to the screen, which resulted in me having about 1cm of undamaged ribbon remaining to reattach the cable to!
I carefully peeled off the copper coloured film to expose the foil ribbon in order to reattach the cable.

I extended the cable following the instructions.

Now, this is where my fix differs slightly..

I attempted to solder the cable to the 1cm of remaining foil ribbon still attached to the screen..
This failed as it was just too fiddly to do.

I had some copper adhesive tape in the garage which was actually bought as a slug deterrent from a garden centre!!
I used this tape to literally stick the exposed end of the cable to the exposed foil ribbon.
I then used electrical tape to cover the join making sure none of the copper tape was showing!

I plugged the cable back in and rerouted it out of harms way, boiled a kettle & steamed up the car, turned on the heated windscreen, and it cleared almost instantly!

So anyone that is either rubbish with soldering or doesn't have much ribbon to play with, get yourself some copper tape from the garden centre!

I would imagine that as long as a connection is formed between the cable and the ribbon, then it doesn't matter how you connect it together so much.. You could probably use any suitable tape.. But I went with the copper in the hope it would assist in conducting the current!

It's worked for me!

Thanks for everyone's tips.

#29 ed12

ed12

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 346 posts
  • Name: Ed
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
  • Year: 2011

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:44 PM

Drivers side failed on mine last year, shortly after the screen got cracked. The fitter informed me it just hadn't been secured properly and was adamant if its clipped in correctly it will not fail.

Edit - Pretty sure the the new screen had longer cable and shorter ribbon too. That was made by Pilkington. Had a second screen in July made by NordGlass, same cable lengths as Pilkington one.

#30 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,749 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:17 PM

Well done Louise, glad to see that you managed to get a benefit from the guide!

I know who to come knocking for when mine goes up the swanny ;)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users