• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 f1 spa

f1 spa

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: mk 2 zetec estate

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:48 AM

hi, we all know that the focus 1.8 petrol is thirsty ime getting 34.4 mpg in my 2006 focus sport, the thing is at 60 mph it is showing 3000 rpm,when i had a mk1 focus 1.6 it was showing 2000 rpm at 60 mph you would think the 1.8 would be the same or lower?, also today i noticed a 2009 1.8 focus with standard 18" wheels this led me to think do ford use the same ecu settings thru out the 1.8 focus range,if so ford must set up the ecu for cars with 18" wheels because of the size, my 1.8 has only got 16" wheels so to me that says that they will be spinning faster and higher rpm hence the poor fuel consumption, so can ford or a engine tuner do some sort of remap to lower the rpm or should i throw a set of 18" wheels on, what do you think?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,001 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:54 PM

hi, we all know that the focus 1.8 petrol is thirsty ime getting 34.4 mpg in my 2006 focus sport, the thing is at 60 mph it is showing 3000 rpm,when i had a mk1 focus 1.6 it was showing 2000 rpm at 60 mph you would think the 1.8 would be the same or lower?, also today i noticed a 2009 1.8 focus with standard 18" wheels this led me to think do ford use the same ecu settings thru out the 1.8 focus range,if so ford must set up the ecu for cars with 18" wheels because of the size, my 1.8 has only got 16" wheels so to me that says that they will be spinning faster and higher rpm hence the poor fuel consumption, so can ford or a engine tuner do some sort of remap to lower the rpm or should i throw a set of 18" wheels on, what do you think?

its a high revving engine they all are except the newest my 1.6 ti-vct is around the same my oild mk1 1.8 was the same and the courtesy car fiesta i had was a high revver to bigger wheels wont make any difference as they are heavier so youll still use the fuel its a simple fact that with a 1.8 its thirstier heavier and will use more fuel regular servicing will help

#3 btmaldon

btmaldon

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts
  • Name: Bruce
  • Ford Model: KA Edge, BMW 320i Coupe M Sport
  • Year: 2015

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:56 PM

The larger wheels are offset by the lower profile tyres.

#4 f1 spa

f1 spa

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: mk 2 zetec estate

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:10 PM

i found out today that all 1.8 focus have the same ecu settings,but yes you are right about the wheels, ahh well just a thought, back to the drawing board

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users