Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo Speedometer

snowy88

I have a 02 2litre Mondeo TDCI automatic estate. Sometimes when the engine is started, after about 3or4 seconds the milage and trip meter go off and 2 lines appear when this happens the speedmeter does not work. If I turn the engine off and on again the problem clears,not allways at the first attempt.I have tried other instrument clusters and the same thing happens, I assume the fault is not with the cluster.Can any one advise where the problem could be.

I have a 02 2litre Mondeo TDCI automatic estate. Sometimes when the engine is started, after about 3or4 seconds the milage and trip meter go off and 2 lines appear when this happens the speedmeter does not work. If I turn the engine off and on again the problem clears,not allways at the first attempt.I have tried other instrument clusters and the same thing happens, I assume the fault is not with the cluster.Can any one advise where the problem could be.

could be your speed sensor maybe

• 1 month later...

I have now found the cause of the faulty speedometer, The problem was two faulty cells in the battery, not bad enough to stop the car starting,but it lowered the voltage and caused the speedo to shut down.A new battery solved the problem. A company in Hull called MASTERTECH were very helpfull in solving the problem.

• Like 1

I have now found the cause of the faulty speedometer, The problem was two faulty cells in the battery, not bad enough to stop the car starting,but it lowered the voltage and caused the speedo to shut down.A new battery solved the problem. A company in Hull called MASTERTECH were very helpfull in solving the problem.

great i will keep that in mind :)

How can that be ?

Enough power to start the car but not enough to power the speedo ?? !! What about the power output from the alternator ?

Confused as I have the same problem. Perhaps I better do a voltage check on the battery first..............

thanks, Mike

Forgot to mention that at the same time the seatbelt warning fails to work (goodie !)

• 4 years later...
On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2011 at 10:37 AM, snowy88 said:

Thanks for posting this - I have just had the same issue on my Mondeo.

Speedometer not working. Took into ATS, Kwik Fit, Evans Halshaw (Ford), and a independent garage. All said I needed a new dashboard cluster fitted at a cost of near £800.

I mentioned this comment but got told it wasn't the battery. battery was tested and came back without issue. I also got another battery connected to mine via jump leads and that di not work either.

I went to Halfords and got a new battery fitted (without telling them of the issue). Speedo is now working.

Many thanks again for posting.

• 5 years later...

Hi

I realize it´s 10 years ago (almost to the day!) since this thread was started but I now have the same problem i.e. speedo comes on for a few seconds but is quickly replaced by 4 dashes. I tried a new battery but the problem remained. I´d read that having 2 batteries in parallel was worth a try so I did that and - it worked. I even test drove it (on my drive way, about 15m) and the speedo needle moved and all seemed good. Went back to 1 battery and problem returned. A friend of a mechanic suggested it could be the earth strap. I connected the negative of the battery to the car body via a jump lead ( a sort of temp earth strap) but no joy - so no real point taking the earth strap off and cleaning it. Now I´m completely at a loss as to what might be the problem. Any ideas anyone?????

Cheers

Gary-B

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club