Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Issues Help Please

daviddmk1

FIRSTLY HI TO ALL,,,AFTER MANY YEARS OF BEING A LOYAL FAN OF THE DARKSIDE I FINALLY DECIDED TO COME OVER TO THE BLUE OVAL,I FOUND A NICE MK2 MONDEO VERONA ON A T PLATE AND DID A PX WITH MY OLD ASHTRAY,,HERE COMES THE BAD BIT,2 DAYS AFTER GETTING THE MONDEO I NOTICED THE HANDBRAKE WAS NOT SO GOOD (AUTOMATIC ADJUSTER ) I WAS TOLD,APARENTLEY A COMMON THING SO OFF TO THE LOCAL TYRE PLACE FOR A ADJUSTMENT,,,,WELL GOT THERE THE CHAP REMOVED BACK WHEELS AND WAS SURPRISED TO SEE TWO DIFERANT DRUM SIZES !!!!! .MY CONCERNS ARE IS THIS SAFE ???? THE CAR PASSED MOT TWO WEEKS AGO,I HAVE BEEN TOLD I NEED A "BRAKE SUPER KIT" SO WITH KIT AND FITTING £370 POUNDS IS THIS RIGHT? WHERE CAN I PRICE THIS SUPER KIT??.....NOT TOO HAPPY AT THIS POINT BUT HE CONTINUED,, THE CLUTCH IS ON ITS WAY OUT ,,OH DEAR HERE WE GO AGAIN,IS 5 HOURS LABOUR RIGHT ?? AND SHOULD THE CLUTCH KIT BE £164 POUND OR IS THERE SOMEWHERE I COULD GET IT AT A BETTER PRICE???. ANY HELP IE INFORMATION WOULD BE REALLY APRECIATED ,,AND MAY HELP GETTING ME BACK IN THE GOOD BOOKS WITH THE WIFE!!!!!!!

MANY THANKS ,,,,DAVE :unsure:

I do hope it wasnt Kwik Fit you took it to as they will rip you off. Your better off going to a good reputable local garage.

The brake issue sounds very strange to me. Never heard of that and am pretty sure the quote you have been given is way over the top.

They said the clutch is on the way out, well is it really. Does it drive OK. Is it slipping, or are you having trouble getting the car into gear? If not there may be nothing wrong with it.

Tyre centre staff are rarely mechanics, so I would take what they say with a pinch of salt.

The last thing is, did you buy this from a dealer? I would take it back and get them to sort it. They cannot sell you a car that is not fit for purpose and you should have had a warrenty with it anyway.

All the best with it.

• Like 1

I repair cars all the time and never heard of a super kit, that quote for the brakes is totally stupid, you could have new brakes all round for LESS than that, I agree with btmaldon regarding the clutch, get a second opinion if you do think the clutch is on it's way out.

a superkit is basically everything you need to service brakes, see here http://www.trwaftermarket.com/en/News/TRW-Superkit--the-easiest-way-to-service-a-drum-brake/

but if you have two different size drums how can one kit be enough? as said get a second opion and not from the local tyre dealer,

a superkit is basically everything you need to service brakes, see here http://www.trwaftermarket.com/en/News/TRW-Superkit--the-easiest-way-to-service-a-drum-brake/

but if you have two different size drums how can one kit be enough? as said get a second opion and not from the local tyre dealer,

I guess in need two new drums also then,but i shall be getting a second opinion,,,,i have found a few clutch kits for around eighty pounds is this good?,,,,,would i be better if needs be to get salvaged brake parts ie as one unit?

thanks Dave

Take the back wheels off and measure the drums, if the same size leave well alone.

Don't consider replacing the clutch until it slips, if it does not slip how does the fitter know it needs replacing?

£80 for a clutch kit seems ok.

Don't know the price of drums but shoes should be £20 to £30

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club