Do Not Sell My Personal Information

focus problems

mully

Well 1st and foremost a big Hi to everyone !

l'm not gonna be shy here and let you all know that l have'nt a clue when it comes down to car maintainance, so hopefully maybe some of you guys maybe able to advise me,

I have a a 1.6 focus on a 53 plate recentley is started playing up a bit, and eventually it kind of had ts final day the other day, I'll try and describe if l can what the problem is , it is making a bit of a grating noise and l ca'nt seem to get any power out of the car it do'snt want to get past 30mph also as l get to junctions or rundabouts it seems to always stall,

l dropped it of to a mechanic yesterday and he has phoned me today to say it is the ecu , he reckons it is knackerd, he has changed the plugs, changed the ignition coil (l think you call it that) and it still has the same problem, so he now reckons its the ecu,

he has advised me it will be around £700 for a new 1 or about £500 for it to be repaired if it can be, l have only started using this mechanic, how does any of that sound to you experts ?

many thanx for any help Nick

Hi and welcome. I'd be very surprised if its the ECU. The symptoms you describe sound more like something mechanical to me rather than something electrical. As to what, could be a number of things. I'd get a diasgnostic see if theres any codes logged on the ECU. Coil packs are a big failing point on the 1.6 focus and would explain the extreme loss of power. It is also possible hes replaced a duff one with another duff one.

If theres a grating noise i would strongly advise you do not drive the car until you have determined what is causing it. It definetly sounds like something mechanical. No loss of fluids or unusual smoke from exhaust?

cheers sierra, do you think he may have replaced have replaced the coil pack with another faulty 1 ?if it is the ECU have you had any experience with ford ecu's on the cost side of things ?

he's quoted me about £700 for a new 1 fitted . l've been looing on eBay and you can pick a salvaged 1 up for around £80 surely l'd be beter getting 1 their and seeing if he can fit that or is it not that straight forward ?

If theres oil on the plugs to that extent I'd definitely say that its something in the engine thats breaking down not the ECU. ECUs are VERY expensive but its rare for one to go faulty. Maybe piston related and the cars flicking into limp home mode.

tries to resete Your ECU , take off the cables of the battery for 12 hours and put the cables in the place .

Problaby your ECU enter in emergery mode , it runs the map more security for the car and making condition the driver take the car to repair .

If it not fix your problem , check the eletrict system and finally change the ECU

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club