Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing Front Shocks

ee0u30eb

Hi all,

I need to change my front shocks, I have googled but turned up no guides on this... is it easy to do? I'm happy to try out most tasks, but don't want to waste hours getting nowhere!

Thanks!

have a read of this thread mate, not a focus but the job is pretty much the same. You dont need to compress the front springs to get them off the car though, dont worry they will only expand to the length of travel of the shock - they wont go flying until you release the big nut in the middle of the top mount. getting the shock out of the steering knuckle can be a nightmare, but you can use a chisel to open up the gap and release it.

Or use one of these to get the ball joints seperated

My link

The last time i used a chisel innapropriatly it ended up in my left index finger ooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jamie

Jamie did you need to remove the steering knuckle to remove the shock? was this on your mk2.5? i had to remove the knuckle when doing a driver side spring on a polo before but only because the arm wouldnt go down far enough to wiggle it out.

the ideal tool for removing the strut from the knuckle is this. not exactly cheap if your only going to use it once but it is a fantastic piece of kit.

Hi Stef

I removed the steering knuckle (track control arm) which is connected to the hub to make the job easier.

Removing the whole unit was easier for me.

Stiffer front springs is advisable if you are fitting uprated shocks

This was on the mk7 fiesta which i presume that the track control arm is connected in the same way.

Jamie :-)

Hi Stef

I removed the steering knuckle (track control arm) which is connected to the hub to make the job easier.

Removing the whole unit was easier for me.

Stiffer front springs is advisable if you are fitting uprated shocks

This was on the mk7 fiesta which i presume that the track control arm is connected in the same way.

Jamie :-)

fair enough mate :)

If its on an 02 plate focus it should be exactly the same as my mk1. removing the knuckle is probably the best way but getting the ball joint out of the knuckle can be a nightmare (without destroying it) and also the driveshaft does tend to stick in there aswell so you might need a tool like this

if you do go down the route of removing the knuckle you will be best to order yourself a new pinch bolt, see here

• Like 1

Thats excellent, thanks guys. If I get round to doing it I will try and document it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club