#1 JMartin

JMartin

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name: Jill
  • Ford Model: S Max zetec
  • Year: 2006

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:14 PM

Hi I'm new to this site, wanted to know if anybody else has had same problems as me.
My car is a 56plate new off the forecourt. Within the first couple of years I had AA and Greenflag out to my car 11 times. Battery problems. absolutly flat on a morning. I was advised to take it back to garage, they weren't interested saying there was nothing wrong with the battery. well AA and greenflag had powered it to get me started. I asked them to change it but that would put me in the 'Gray area' with the warrenty. after 3 years I gave up and changed the battery myself, I need a reliable car.
Then the power steering broke the car sounded like the number 49 bus. It hadf only 19000 on the clock. Had a new one fitted [ 6 months out of warrenty] expensive. 8 months later power steering went again. After a lot of arguing Ford changed it but warrenty would only continue on from the first one been fitted. We are now 4 months from the 2nd new one been fitted and guess what bus sound back and power steering gone again. I have only done 22000 on clock. Thankfully Ford going to change it. How long will this one last, who knows. Even debating changing my car. Has anybody had similar problems.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 137699

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Ford Model: 2006 S-max Titanium X Sport 2.5T

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:34 PM

The flat battery problem affected many early smax's. It is cured by a software update.
Your dealer should know this - its covered in a TSB article.

As for the power steering - do you have a diesel or petrol?

#3 JMartin

JMartin

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name: Jill
  • Ford Model: S Max zetec
  • Year: 2006

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:44 PM

Hi sorry it took so long to reply I couldn't get onto the site.

Thank you for replying to my quiery. The company would not do anything for my battery and they never mentioned anything about softwear.

The car is Diesel. It was in at the garage this week but they said they wouldn't do anything with it, as it was 'just noisey'. So unless I pay for a
new power steering I'm stuck with the noise. Needless to say the money well out weighs the noise.

JMartin

#4 Uplands5

Uplands5

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Name: Martin
  • Ford Model: SMAX
  • Year: 2008

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:05 PM

Not sure what you did, but I've had Power Steering troubles with my 08 SMAX and had a new pump under warranty last year, then after a few months (out of Warranty) strated whining again, one garage advised Power Steering Rack and took it to another who changed the Power Steering Reservoir and flushed.

Hopefully sorted for good, but will keep you posted!

#5 jConneely

jConneely

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: Julian
  • Ford Model: smax

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

2008 smax 90k miles. Power steering whining like a mule 400 miles after buying from garage in Leicester, my mechanic is currently flushing out existing fluid and replacing bottle and fluid. I have been told 50% chance this will fix the issue. If not then apparently power steering rack has to be replaced at a cost of 800 euro plus labour.

Any thoughts from anyone? Will update on the outcome. I have 3 months warranty but am in west of Ireland, garage in Leicester

#6 Uplands5

Uplands5

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:23 AM

Fingers crossed for us both!

#7 gregers

gregers

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Name: greg
  • Ford Model: smax titainium

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:09 PM

what about the warrenty on the car ?,i know you said your 400 miles away,but if it is the rack thats a big spend on a new to you 2nd hand car.

#8 Jason_Master_Tech

Jason_Master_Tech

Settling In Well

• Members via Twitter
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Name: jason
  • Ford Model: focus
  • Year: 2001

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:48 PM

There is a filter in the pas reservoir which blocks and causes the whining noise. Most of the time u can just replace the bottle and flush the system to fix it, but if the pump has been starved of fluid it can cause it to fail.

#9 Uplands5

Uplands5

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:43 PM

There is a filter in the pas reservoir which blocks and causes the whining noise. Most of the time u can just replace the bottle and flush the system to fix it, but if the pump has been starved of fluid it can cause it to fail.

This sounds feasible, it's a shame not all Ford Dealers are aware of this. Mine is still okay after 2000 miles. Hopefully this post will help other S-Max owners.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users