Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide To Fitting Door Handle Smd Led's Mk2.5

Preee

This is a guide on fitting SMD Leds into the door handle Mk2.5 Focus.

Tools Needed.:

Large flat head screwdriver

8mm socket and driver

Multimeter

4 x Scotch locks

Insulation tape

4mm drill bit and drill

Marker pen

What i'm fitting is a 3 light SMD , they come in longer strips and can be cut down , These depending how you wire them can glow RED/BLUE or GREEN.

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1439.l2649

20111029131106.jpg

By preeee at 2011-10-29

Picture Heavy

STEP 1

Removing the door panel , First start by squeezing the top and bottom of the plastic door trim by the handle and then prize from the window switch or alarm switch side.

Pulling gently until it unclips , use a flat screwdriver if you can not get your finger nails behind.Once released unclip the wiring.

20111029112035.jpg

By preeee at 2011-10-29

20111029112117.jpg

By preeee at 2011-10-29

STEP 2

With a flat screw drive move to the bottom half of the handle cover , insert the screwdriver and push down and work your way across until lower handle comes down and remove.

Undo the 2 x 8mm bolts underneath the door handle and remove. If working on the drivers door unplug the window and mirror wires.

20111029112234.jpg

By preeee at 2011-10-29

20111029124500.jpg

By preeee at 2011-10-29

STEP 3

Inner door card is held by 7 clips , easy way i found to remove was start at lower edge getting my fingers behind and using a large flat screwdriver rest it next to the clip and twist

to unclip, cover the screwdriver with a rag first.Then work your way along the bottom and side's then the top leaving the one by the mirror until last as there is a small section behind the mirror trim.

20111029163818.jpg

By preeee at 2011-10-29

STEP 4

Checking which wires so out with the multimeter, wiring is different.Passenger side the switch is the power window, drivers side is the alarm sensor turn off switch.

Passenger side wires to wire too are Green/Black + and Black/White -

Drivers door wires to wire too are Yello + and Black/White -.

20111029130833.jpg

By preeee at 2011-10-29

20111029130851.jpg

By preeee at 2011-10-29

Continued in next post

• Like 2

STEP 5

Mark door handle trim with placement of LEDS as shown and drill 3 x 4mm holes.Make sure you are drilling the top of the trim and not the bottom.

Try LEDS against the holes and use Wide 1 inch insulation tape to secure LEDS to the trim.

20111029131705.jpg

By preeee at 2011-10-29

20111029131851.jpg

By preeee at 2011-10-29

20111029132447.jpg

By preeee at 2011-10-29

STEP 6

Scotch lock + LED wire to Green/Black and - LED to Black/White .Switch on ignition to test.

20111029132647.jpg

By preeee at 2011-10-29

20111029134120.jpg

By preeee at 2011-10-29

STEP 7

Slide door handle trim through door hand gap in door card and position clips over the clip holes starting with the top corner by the mirror.

Push against door card in the corner and then align the top and again pushing door card until clip clicks into place , carry on arround until doorcard is back in place.

Replace the 2 x 8mm handle securing nuts and lower door handle trim.

Pull handle forward and slide handle trim behind the handle , reconnect the wiring plug , and clip back into place.Passenger side is complete. :).

20111029134222.jpg

By preeee at 2011-10-29

Drivers side continued in next post.

• Like 1

STEP 8

Drivers side follow previous steps apart from the wiring.

The wiring in the Drivers switch is different as its not the electric window switch , it is the alarm sensor off switch.

Wire + LED to Yellow and wire - LED to Black/White.

20111029145336.jpg

20111029151239.jpg

By preeee at 2011-10-29

20111029152026.jpg

By preeee at 2011-10-29

What i will say is. The passenger and rear Passenger doors all work differently to the drivers door.All the passenger doors light up when opening the door or switching on curtesy lights.

This stays on for 3 seconds , when ignition is turned on it lights up full time , when ignition is turned off it stays illuminated for 3 seconds and then goes off after you leave the car.

The drivers door however only come's on when ignition is on and goes off when you turn ignition off.

Oviously they are not on the same circuit , but i have tested all other wiring there and the same circuit is not in the drivers door.You could however trace a wire from the rear O/S door to the

drivers door if you wanted them to all act the same. But i'm happy with it as it is for now.

just got to order 2 more SMD leds for the rear doors now.

20111029191800.jpg

By preeee at 2011-10-29

Thankyou for looking at my Guide.

Paul.

• Like 1

Quality Guide mate,

and the red led's in the door handles look great, very nicely done with the led fitted inside the panel and the holes allowing the beam through. B)

Cheers Lenny , just ordered another 2 Leds so i can do the rear doors.:rolleyes:

As soon as the long strips turn up i'll do the Cup Holder Guide

• Like 1

Cheers Pree, thats agreat little mod, and a brilliant guide. Going to order some of those myself i think. How long did they take to arrive from that seller? May as well order 2 sets, and do both front and back at the same time. :)

Cheers Pree, thats agreat little mod, and a brilliant guide. Going to order some of those myself i think. How long did they take to arrive from that seller? May as well order 2 sets, and do both front and back at the same time. :)

They took 8 days to arrive , i ordered 2 more for the rear doors on Sunday so hopefully i will be fitting the rear doors as soon as they arrive.

• Like 1

Looks great, if only there was someone who had done something like this with a Mk1.

I would imagine as long as you have power in the doors then it would be easy to do the same , if you have power windows which light up the switch then they would light up with the lights on. All you would need is a multimeter to check the wiring and if no poewer to the door then trace a wire through from the curtesy lights.

• Like 1

Sorry for the stupid question, but what exactly do i need to connect the wires together? Any chance of a link? :)

Sorry for the stupid question, but what exactly do i need to connect the wires together? Any chance of a link? :)

Scotchlocks , you can get them from eBay or Halfords they allow you to join into a wire with out cutting into it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-Blue-Splice-ScotchLok-Scotch-Lock-Snap-Lok-/160514640242?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item255f6b0972

• Like 1

:D Not a problem let me know how you get on fitting the LEDS

• Like 1

Second batch of LEDS arrived Friday so while i was doing my cup holder mod i fitted the

rear door Handle lights as well.

This is on Titanium Model so power window's all round and an easy place to wire from.So now all Four door handles glow :D

Difference to the rear windows are the wiring colours, from the electric window switch the wires are :

left to right ---

Yellow/white +

Black/Orange -

Blue/White + This is the feed i used which has 3 second delay , so lights stay on after ignition off

Black/Orange - This is the feed i used for negative return other Black/Orange does not give a negative circuit.

Every thing is virtually the same as starting post apart from the wire colours.

20111105095851.jpg

By preeee at 2011-11-05

20111105100457.jpg

By preeee at 2011-11-05

20111105101419.jpg

By preeee at 2011-11-05

20111105103536.jpg

By preeee at 2011-11-05

20111105104256.jpg

By preeee at 2011-11-05

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine fitted yesterday morning. Encountered a few problems along the way though.

Broke a clip on the rear driver side door card putting it back on :( decided to fit the rest without removing the door cards. It was a bit more fiddly but I managed ok. Scotchlock connectors refused to make a proper connection so I ended up stripping a small part of the cable and then using the scotchlock. Even though mine is also a titanium, the wires were different colours to preees. Not having a multimeter I judt poked the led cables in the ends of the comnector to see which worked.

All in all, I'm really happy with the result, and even the missus said they looked better than she expected!

Thanks again preee. :)

• Like 1

Hi Paul

I agree they look really good and i'm happy with mine , my wife never noticed haha , the only thing she likes about my car is the heated seat's lol

Wires are a littel thin and i had to strip them back then double them over when i did the rear doors , but on them the scotchlocks were from a different place so mayber a little wider

• Like 1

Got mine fitted yesterday morning. Encountered a few problems along the way though.

All in all, I'm really happy with the result, and even the missus said they looked better than she expected!

:)

Ive Just Found a perfect Match for the Door Handle SMD's Mate

Red led Air Vents for the Mk2 and Mk2.5 on eBay Click Here

hmmm, might be one step far those lol

:lol: i think they look good,

id actually buy them if i had the cash, they dont seem too bright or glaring in the second picture of the night shot,just a soft glow B)

• Like 1

Ive Just Found a perfect Match for the Door Handle SMD's Mate

Red led Air Vents for the Mk2 and Mk2.5 on ebay Click Here

They look cool Lenny , they look like they would just add a small glow to the Vents , problem with my eBay is i use the UK site and it does not pull Ireland eBay items up maybe i should use eBay.com instead i'm missing all the good stuff lol

i have seen on youtube similar stuff like this

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, they do look good. The way things are going we will all be driving focis with huge red glows around them from all the LEDs we keep fitting. :lol:

Don't get me wrong, they do look good. The way things are going we will all be driving focis with huge red glows around them from all the LEDs we keep fitting. :lol:

:lol: haha very true.

I don't have anything left to fit now , i'm just waiting for my DRL's then i'm set for the winter

Paul did you manage to take any pics of your Door lights?

• Like 1

Not yet. May nip out in a min and take some though.

One thing i have noticed is that if passengers use their buttons to open/close the windows, the LEDs go off, but the button light doesn't :unsure: they come back on when the button is released though. Do yours do this? Also, my drivers door one behaves slightly differently to how you described yours too. It stays on after the others have gone off when leaving the car. I think it stays on as long as the dash display.

Can't wait for the guide on those DRLs mate. I'll have to wait until after christmas for some though. :(

yes if the window switch is pressed the lights go off until the button is released . Must be some thing todo with the way they are wired .To be honest i have never watched the drivers door light go out when leaving the car, i will have to let you know on that one, i was meaning to route a wire fromt he rear o/s door so they are all wired in the same circuit as my drivers door switch appears lighter as well , or maybe thats me being sat by it , not sure

• Like 1