Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 Tdci Temperature Gauge Problem

sky

Hello guys,

I have ford focus mk2 1.8 tdci and noticed strange issue with temp gauge. Got the car only for a month and whenever i accelerate the temp goes down. At least this is what i see on the instrument cluster. It does not matter if the engine is hot or cold.

What i were able to find is that this is soft issue between temp sensor and the cluster. However does anyone know if there is fix released for that? Do i need to replace instrument cluster?

By the way, thermostat was replaced with new one, no change after that. Can i do some kind of calibration?

I noticed that this is issue only with that engine - 1.8 TDCi.

Here is a video of what i am talking about. Please watch the temp gauge on the dash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAzVXj60UTc&feature=related

Can i do some kind of calibration of that temp sensor??

Hi,

Just came back from Ford service. I told them about to check for update, but they could not find anything related under symptoms menu. However i found this thread which is exactly my problem.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=59922

The problem appear only on 1.8 TDCi engine.

Could someone point me what update/buletin is, so i can tell my dealer what to search for? I've been told that they will make a request to Ford and will call me back. However i do not know when this will happen. The temp sensor and thermostat are working fine.

My ECU/PCM version is this - 4M51-12A650-JN. It is latest version. According to above thread the issue is with overtemping calibration.

Anyone that can help me with info? Thanks a lot

This is another video with the issue

Guys,

Where can i get new ECU/PCM from? I would like to try with different ECU.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Picked up my car from Ford service yesterday after been there for 2 days. Their conclusion was deffective instrument cluster. I can't belive it yet and more over what new instrument cluster will fix as it comes to be a software issue. I do not know what to do now. Temperature sensor is working fine from what they've checked. Got an offer for new instrument for 650 euro which is a lot. Is there a way to test with second hand cluster? Do i need to adjust the immobiliser only?

Here is the part number i got - 4U7T - 10846 - GS or 4M5T - 10849 - GS

I have to add one more thing to the problem. The issue can be noticed when the car is static and you just keep the rpm between 2500-3000 rpm. I see the temp gauge is going down and when you release the pedal it is coming back. Could it be something related to the voltage?

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks

lol, are you sure you dont have @Kingfisher's old car... seems so very similar...

No, it is not his old car. For now i am gonna monitor it for a while and will see what to do after that.

Good Job, I was going to say it was very coincidental! can you not rip out a cluster from an old wreck? just save yourself a lot of money?

In process to get another second hand cluster. The problem is that i am not sure the new (second hand) won't have the same issue. What do you think?

Could someone help me with the letter of the cluster. I found so far ending on GM or GR, but not GS. What is the difference? Can i go with GM or GR or GP versions of the cluster?

Thanks

• 3 years later...

I have been having a problem with my instrument cluster so I bought a second hand one and tried fitting it

The fitting bit went well but when I tried to start the engine the Immobiliser kicked in and there was a warning about a theft.

so it seems a straight swap is out. I believe it will have to be installed at a dealer with the correct diagnostics reader to match it to the ECU. Anybody with more info on that would be welcome.

I should have added my problem is not the temperature but part of the display is broken, also my car is a Focus Estate.

On the Focus MK2/MK2.5 the PATS immobilizer system is integrated into both the instrument cluster and the PCM. If the instrument cluster needs to be replaced it is necessary to reconfigure the instrument cluster with the correct settings and reprogram the PATS system.

The PATS keys are programmed into the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster and the PCM do both have a configuration file which needs to be the same. If a new instrument cluster or PCM is installed the configuration files do not match and the car will be immobilized. To solve this the PATS keys needs to be programmed into the new instrument cluster and the instrument cluster needs to be paired with the PCM (PATS pairing or PATS initialization).

PATS programming can only be done with a Ford specific diagnostic system (Ford IDS or FoCom diagnostic system for example) which has the ability to program the CODED PATS system. Next to the diagnostic system you also need to have access to an OUTCODE/INCODE generator. After requesting access to the PATS programming functions using the diagnostic system the car generates an OUTCODE. You need to enter a correct INCODE before the PATS programming request will be accepted.

I have had another play with my instrument cluster today and have found out something new and interesting. Well to me it is. If you hold the button in on the end of the indicator stalk, turn on the ignition as normal and keep ithe button held in until the word Test appears on the lower LCD display you can do many tests on the cluster. Included is a gauge sweep. All the analogue gauges sweep from 0 to full scale deflection. If they appear ok then I would think your problem is not the cluster but somewhere else.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club