Do Not Sell My Personal Information

smax official trouble topic

sobaka

I've just had the clutch and DMF replaced in my S-Max 2.0Dti Zetec 59 plate by a local small garage.

Before the replacement, there was no problem selecting any gear (just a grinding when releasing the clutch and vibration at slow speeds).

However, it is now extremely difficult to select first gear. From a standstill I can get it into first gear by putting it into second gear, then immediately into first gear. All others gears are fine.

The garage have said it is due to the gear selector cables being worn and have quoted me £233 to replace.

Does this sound right, or could it be the clutch needs aligning?

Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All.

Have a 2006 - 56 plate 2.5T S-Max. 40,000 miles when bought 2 years ago. Now on 70,000.

Great car. First thing done was convert it to LPG which cost £1,800 and we lost no boot space.

Now gets 27mpg around home (rural) and 32-34 on long trips (200+ motorway miles @ 65-70(ish))

With LPG being 64p/litre locally, double these to get the equivalent cost of Petrol (i.e. 54mpg and 64-68mpg)

280 miles = £30-£35

Issues:

Aircon Failure. Split Hoses and recharge. c. £200.

Steering Rack Failure. Got very heavy intermittently. Sent rack for a refurb (c. £200)+p&p + removal / refitting + Fluids. - Kelley Bray Steering.

(Plus washed out the reservoir. All in c. £500. )

oil Breather Failed. (Noise and air sucked in though dipstick / oil filler cap. Used "peg and sock until repaired"). Ordered Volvo replacement from USA ($200USD inc post - c. £130) Plus fitting and breather pipe (£20) Plus Labour (c. 3 hours @£55+VAT/h) = £370 or so all in.

Rear Brake and top strip bulbs failed. Simple fix. £5

Brake Handle trim and button popped off and spring ejected. Not fixed yet.

Precautions:

Changed transmission Fluid

Changed PAS and Coolant

Air filter is K&N panel (washable)

At 62k Changed Timing Belt (not a chain!).Plus water pump. Kit c. £110 + garage labour 2-3 hours. (c. £280 all in)

Always used 10w40 fully synth when cheap on HUKD.

Tyre use is OK. Always get camber / toe-in / tracking / alignment checked. especially if curb has been bumped.

Future issues?

Clutch smells a little sometimes on steep, slow hill starts.

Once had alarm going off. Not repeated.

May check boost solenoids.

Car is parked outside normally so expecting alarm module issue :(

• 1 month later...

Hello

I have. 2008 smax which has done 90000 miles. When I go faster than 24mph the windscreen wipers go crazy until I slow down below 24 again. The washer fluid won't come through when I push the button but it is full and there are no warning lights.

No trouble with the alarm either. Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

This is more a thread of known issues,I suggest you start a new topic in the smax forum

• 1 month later...

Ignite just the fuel it could be a fault with the fuel sender unit or wiring to it

Depends on where you going. An indie garage should be able to price it up or advise if the job I'd too far out their remit and refer you to an auto electrician

• 1 month later...

I have a problem with my 2.5t S-Max, engine light on with codes - P0075, P0076, P0079 & P0243. I've done extensive research on these codes & just wondering if anyone on here can shed any light on the cause of these problems plz

The EML came on after we had the car in for a coolant hose replacing, & came out with them codes & lack of boost. I think they point to some electrical short circuit :(

Boost is likely they knocked or split a hose I haven't looked at the error codes yet so don't know to what they refer

P0075, P0076, P0079, P0243. I've looked what the codes are & possible causes, I think they all point towards a short in the circuit

After pondering over the codes & the issues I have with the S-Max, out of curiosity I checked the fuses & found that fuse f11 (valves, MAF control) had blown. Would that be causing these codes?

That would be causing some chaos yes

• 2 weeks later...

im having electrical issues, main lights work but full beam, fogs, dash lights and cruse controll doesnt work.

had the issue a few weeks ago but sorted it self now back again

any ideas

thanks

Check the wiring in the glove box fuse box, just make sure all the wiring harnesses are secured in place properly.

• 1 month later...

Hi all ,

I bought a 2007 S Max last Saturday and for the first day every thing was fine and dandy . The next day when i started her up I found it hard to put it into reverse , then when I get to around 30 mph there is a sound coming from the rear , sounds like metal on metal ( I hope it's not the rear bearings :unsure: ) plus now there is a musky sort of smell coming from the back of the car as well ! both of these have started at the same time ( possible brake pad rubbing ? ) , car is pulling to the left , when I switch the engine off there is a hissing sound coming from the front drivers side :o . I'm no mechanic so I don't have a clue and this is my first MPV , any suggestions or recommendations will be very appreciated.

Also thinking of taking the rear wheels off and checking how free they are and if there is any play in the wheels.

Thanks

Could well be bad brakes take it for a free check as most places do it and you can replace them from there. The metal noise could just be exhaust knock, it might be a case of the hanger has rusted through so a new one is needed.

where did you buy it from,private or a dealer?

if a dealer take it straight back to them so they can investigate.

Could well be bad brakes take it for a free check as most places do it and you can replace them from there. The metal noise could just be exhaust knock, it might be a case of the hanger has rusted through so a new one is needed.

Thanks for your reply , I will take to my local garage after school run . :D

where did you buy it from,private or a dealer?

if a dealer take it straight back to them so they can investigate.

Hi I got it from a dealer in Rochdale

I made the error of assuming it was private. As gregers said, take the car back. It's their responsibility to resolve inherent faults with the car. If you want to know more check my signature on a dealers responsibility

• Like 1

I made the error of assuming it was private. As gregers said, take the car back. It's their responsibility to resolve inherent faults with the car. If you want to know more check my signature on a dealers responsibility

I will contact them first thing , he gave me a 3 month warranty and I only picked it up last Wednesday so fingers crossed . :unsure::unsure:

There is his first mistake, you are entitled to your 6 months consumer rights, basically a 6 month warranty as standard

There is his first mistake, you are entitled to your 6 months consumer rights, basically a 6 month warranty as standard

well ive tried a few times to contact them by phone and by email no response so far :angry:

and the rubbing noise i think is defo the rear bearings as i was on the motorway yesterday and it went from a rubbing noise to a rapid knocking which got louder the faster i went :blink: