Do Not Sell My Personal Information

smax official trouble topic

sobaka

Starting this thread so all the troubles you have can have an answer.

posting just to get this on top, if anyone has a problem with smax don't hesitate

• 1 month later...

First entry in this topic courtesy tunne1rat:

As some of you are now aware, the biggest problem with the s-max is the poxy alarm!

The problem is caused by water getting into the alarm sounder module which is located under the front ns wheel arch.

The only cure is to get the alarm sounder replaced at the dealers.

In the mean time, fuse F26 in the central fuse box provides the power to the alarm sounder. Unfortunately Ford also provided this sounder with an internal battery, so pulling the fuse will not instantly silence the alarm but will eventually as the battery drains and will prevent the alarm from sounding again while you are waiting for the part to arrive at the dealers! (The wipers will also return to normal function).

To access and identify the fuse, you need to remove a small piece of carpet under the glove box held on with 2 plastic fasteners (these just pull off) then there is a small latch which when turned will release the fuse box which is hinged at the back so just pull it down far enough to get your hand in.

Fuse F26 is a 5A and is third from the bottom on the left.

Hope this helps.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having a similar problem with my 56 s-max. There is an intermittent fault whereby the alarm goes off spontaneously, sometimes with hazard lights flashing and sometimes without. Occasionally I can disable the alarm with the remote but sometimes the only way to quieten it is to turn on the engine. I have tried disabling the internal scanners but to no avail. The fault has occurred on two nights about ten days apart with no problems in between. After the first occurrence it went into my local dealership where they claimed to be able to find no problem. It's back in the garage today after a second night of frequent disturbances and again a claimed not to be able to find fault, suggesting that wind was causing the air vent louvres to flap and set off the internal sensors! I find this hard to accept, particularly since I had turned off the internal scan. (The Ford technician incidentally claimed this was not a feature of the alarm system which I found a little worrying) After I involved customer care on the main Ford website the garage has claimed to have found a fault with the sensors. Has anyone else experienced this fault? When I queried whether there could be a problem with water getting into the alarm sounded I was told this would lead to a failure of the alarm to sound at all which does not seem to be the experience of others on this forum. As it stands I am waiting for the part to come in and fearing another disrupted night. When I asked the garage if they could pull the fuse as a holding measure they refused and warned me that if I take it out myself it may invalidate my warranty re the alarm system. Much as I love my s-max, this whole episode and the ambivalent at best attitude of the staff at the dealership have me starting to regret going for a Ford.

I'm having a similar problem with my 56 s-max. There is an intermittent fault whereby the alarm goes off spontaneously, sometimes with hazard lights flashing and sometimes without. Occasionally I can disable the alarm with the remote but sometimes the only way to quieten it is to turn on the engine. I have tried disabling the internal scanners but to no avail. The fault has occurred on two nights about ten days apart with no problems in between. After the first occurrence it went into my local dealership where they claimed to be able to find no problem. It's back in the garage today after a second night of frequent disturbances and again a claimed not to be able to find fault, suggesting that wind was causing the air vent louvres to flap and set off the internal sensors! I find this hard to accept, particularly since I had turned off the internal scan. (The Ford technician incidentally claimed this was not a feature of the alarm system which I found a little worrying) After I involved customer care on the main Ford website the garage has claimed to have found a fault with the sensors. Has anyone else experienced this fault? When I queried whether there could be a problem with water getting into the alarm sounded I was told this would lead to a failure of the alarm to sound at all which does not seem to be the experience of others on this forum. As it stands I am waiting for the part to come in and fearing another disrupted night. When I asked the garage if they could pull the fuse as a holding measure they refused and warned me that if I take it out myself it may invalidate my warranty re the alarm system. Much as I love my s-max, this whole episode and the ambivalent at best attitude of the staff at the dealership have me starting to regret going for a Ford.

Terrible,

the problem is well known and it is simply unbelievable a dealer can be treating you like this. I would visit another dealer and forget about this one forever.

Good luck

• 1 month later...

I have a couple of problems I noticed:

Updated - 2010-03-26

• The satnav crashes out (happened 3 times in 8 months) and the only way to get it working again is to leave the car overnight - fixed after software update
  • The Computer (nav, radio and everything else) system crashes. Requires restart. (happens every couple of weeks) - Fixed after software update
  • Sometimes the power from the acellorator "flutters" at constant speed. (happens every few journies, and requires reboot) - Has not happened after power stering fixed
  • Whining noise from power stearing when turing while moving. - Fixed by dealer after complete failure. Known fault.
  • service oil notification for "fix at next service" - Fixed at next service
  • Alarm problem notification for "fix at next service" - Fixed by dealer after complete failure (faulty internal intrusion detection device that caused a catastrophic electrical failure).
  • bluetooth thelephone integration "redial" button never works an always sais "invalid number" - Fixed with software update
  • bluetooth thelephone integration sometimes fails (requires reboot) - Fixed with software update
  • bluetooth thelephone integration fails to start "Mobile voice recognition" option. - Fixed with software update

I will keep this list updated as I will use it when I take the car in :) Does not stop me loving the car...

• 5 months later...
Starting this thread so all the troubles you have can have an answer.

Brand new to this so hello to all! I have a (almost) 3 yr old 1.9TDI titanium which I love - there have been a few problems over the years (and thanks guys - I was able to solve one of the issues from looking at this site - after the garage - official dealer - had had it 4 times and hadn't a clue!!) - but the current one is becoming increasingly annoying. Has anyone experienced a whining / whistling when accelerating? It is really loud and sounds like I'm being followed by a police car. I can hear the car coming from quite far off!! It's happening all the time - and a friend's mondeo has recently started the same thing. All the garage says is it might be something to do with the turbo - but they don't know - and suggested what they always suggest - a software upgrade (you'll have gathered I'm not overly impressed with my local dealership!)

Anyway- any suggestions would be extremely welcome. It's getting worse by the day!

• 3 months later...

Hi,

New to this as well.

Haven't experienced this persistent whining but know it from accelerating at high speed (motorway) - it is quite loud. Always assumed it was the turbo.

The problems I have found are:

• Faulty indicator switch (leading to parking lights coming on of own accord when the engine is off - potential battery drainer - and motorway hazard as indicators again could come on of own accord - it is a known problem and got it replaced under warranty.
  • Other issue is how farcically difficult it is to change rear break bulbs :angry: -has any one succeeded?? Please let me know

Brand new to this so hello to all! I have a (almost) 3 yr old 1.9TDI titanium which I love - there have been a few problems over the years (and thanks guys - I was able to solve one of the issues from looking at this site - after the garage - official dealer - had had it 4 times and hadn't a clue!!) - but the current one is becoming increasingly annoying. Has anyone experienced a whining / whistling when accelerating? It is really loud and sounds like I'm being followed by a police car. I can hear the car coming from quite far off!! It's happening all the time - and a friend's mondeo has recently started the same thing. All the garage says is it might be something to do with the turbo - but they don't know - and suggested what they always suggest - a software upgrade (you'll have gathered I'm not overly impressed with my local dealership!)

Anyway- any suggestions would be extremely welcome. It's getting worse by the day!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

2.0 TDCi not quite 3 years old, 20,000 miles. Problems so far:

Failed turbo

New ABS pump

Faulty alarm control module

Now getting intermittent "Power steering failure" warning - anyone had that one?

Getting worried about the warranty expiring!

Chris

Hi,

I didn't have any warning but mine made a groaning noise when cornering,

When I took it to the garage they took the fluid top up cap off and the fluid was bubbling,

They replaced the steering rack problem continued then they replaced valves and that sorted it.

Don't know if this is any help?

(see my topic page 3 "noisy power steering"

Hi

Failed turbo

New ABS pump

Now getting intermittent "Power steering failure" warning - anyone had that one?

Chris

Hi, be gentle its my first post.

Bought a 56 plate 2.0TDi S-Max Titanium two weeks ago and i really love it, however yesterday the reversing/parking aid stopped working, when i put the car in reverse the tone is constant as if i have no clearance front or back. I have been round the vehicle and made sure all the sensors are clear of dirt and still nothing.... what can it be, they worked fine yesterday

Hi, be gentle its my first post.

Bought a 56 plate 2.0TDi S-Max Titanium two weeks ago and i really love it, however yesterday the reversing/parking aid stopped working, when i put the car in reverse the tone is constant as if i have no clearance front or back. I have been round the vehicle and made sure all the sensors are clear of dirt and still nothing.... what can it be, they worked fine yesterday

Most likely water ingress to one or more of the parking sensors.

Have you washed the car recently?

no, i was going to this weekend as its filthy. I did initially think it was dirt on the sensors so i wiped them clean but made no difference.

• 3 months later...

Hi

Failed turbo

New ABS pump

Chris

Hi there i have the same problem with my car and i had to have a brand new one fitted,i looked on eBay for a cheaper one but they were an extra £100 dearer than ford,just hope you have better luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, New to this too but very frustrated - My S-Max is a great car and the alarm fault as described above was fixed in warranty as were the parking sensors however 9 weeks out of warranty the ABS pump has gone - started up all by itself whilst parked up and locked outside the house and almost caught fire - husband managed to get the battery disconnected in time.

Ford say £800+ for a new pump and not getting much joy from them even though its only 2 months out of warranty.

I love the car but they seem to have the same recurring problems that Ford deny. Has anyone else had this problem just out of warranty and how did they get on with Ford?

Oh and did anyone elses almost catch fire?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help, my alarm and windscreen wipers had just started playing up about an hour ago. Now with all the fuses removed and car still, we can now get on and start complaining to ford again!!, after last times questions on "why is the clutch going on our 07 plate S-Max after only 38000. Hope they are a bit more responsive this time, not sure if we can carry on telling friends on what a good car it is.

Cheers Again

Hi, just have problem with power steering malfunction on my smax 2.0 zetex. How much it will cost me if i take to Fod dealer? Previously, I also ave problem with Faulty Alarm Horn box under the wheel arch cousing the wiper mulfunction.

Hi

Failed turbo

New ABS pump

Chris

(2.0L S-Max 07 plate).The same problem occurred yesterday. I was travelling home from work and the windscreen wipers came on on full power for no reason and then stopped. This happened for twenty miles intermittently . No matter what position I pushed the stalk they would not stop. Once home and the doors locked the alarm went off and then stopped. Bizarre before I go down the route of frustrating visits to my local Ford garage any advice?

• 1 month later...

Hi, I had a similar problem with the wipers, they stopped working altogether which was dangerous. Luckily I was still under warranty at the time and they replaced the alarm component that was creating the problem. I'll still randomly get the Alarm needs servicing message tho'.

However just recently my steering went all heavy, was told rack had failed needs replacing, that'll be £1300.

Car just out of 3yr warranty with only 26k miles on clock. Ford S-Max 2.0 TDCi Titanium (56 plate).

I'm in talks with their Customer Services about them paying for this as clearly this is a faulty part as opposed to general wear and tear. Right now Customer Services are doing quite the opposite to Servicing the Customer.

Last Ford I'll be buying.

Tempted just to get rid of this now before everything else starts failing that's listed in this thread.

Hi,

New to this as well.

Haven't experienced this persistent whining but know it from accelerating at high speed (motorway) - it is quite loud. Always assumed it was the turbo.

The problems I have found are:

• Faulty indicator switch (leading to parking lights coming on of own accord when the engine is off - potential battery drainer - and motorway hazard as indicators again could come on of own accord - it is a known problem and got it replaced under warranty.
  • Other issue is how farcically difficult it is to change rear break bulbs :angry: -has any one succeeded?? Please let me know

I had a rear break bulb go a few months ago. It caused me endless stress over a week.

The manual isn't terribly good at describing how to get at it - you have to take off two covers in the boot area and then grope about for plastic wing nuts with no clear idea of what you are suposed to be doing.

I eventually did that, got the correct bulb out, checked that it really was blown, and put a similar bulb back into the same socket.

That was the least of my problems - the brake light was not fixed and the tail light was too bright.

After a lot of head scratching and taking it all apart several times, I discovered that it is easy to put in the bulb wrongly so that the brake light filament is used for the tail light and the tail light filament is not connected. In essence, worse than when the bulb was first blown.

You cannot see what you are doing to replace the bulb, the pictures in the book are not a lot of help, and small hands are vital, but primarily a lot of luck (or in my case trial and error) is needed to get the bulb in the right way round. A properly engineered socket for the bulb, costing Ford about 10p more in the first place, would have made life a lot easier.

It can be done, but it's tears all the way.

• 1 month later...

Hi There I wpould be really interested to kow if anyone has had the same fault i am getting at the ment. The car thinks it is overheating when it is not resulting in loss of power and the whole thing refusing to go above 40.

The bonnet is cool to the touch with all blowers con=ming through cold ??? I am uttely confused.

Thanks all Vicky

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I had a similar problem with the wipers, they stopped working altogether which was dangerous. Luckily I was still under warranty at the time and they replaced the alarm component that was creating the problem. I'll still randomly get the Alarm needs servicing message tho'.

However just recently my steering went all heavy, was told rack had failed needs replacing, that'll be £1300.

Car just out of 3yr warranty with only 26k miles on clock. Ford S-Max 2.0 TDCi Titanium (56 plate).

I'm in talks with their Customer Services about them paying for this as clearly this is a faulty part as opposed to general wear and tear. Right now Customer Services are doing quite the opposite to Servicing the Customer.

Last Ford I'll be buying.

Tempted just to get rid of this now before everything else starts failing that's listed in this thread.

We also had the same fault with the Alarm Control Unit and received dreadful service from the Customer Relations people at Ford so this will be the last car we buy from them. We have owned the car from new (2ltr Diesel Titanium) and use it to tow a caravan as well as transport hordes of kids around the place. Really sad as this is an excellent vehicle which is great to drive and thoughtfully designed but the fools who run Customer Relations employ people without technical knowledge. When I asked if they could put me in touch with a knowledgeable person they gave me the number of a phone line with a ridiculous cost per minute - how is that for a PR own goal.

If the Alarm Control Module is replaced and you are still getting the "Alarm service Required" signal it means that more water is dripping onto the module and it will only be a matter of time before that one fails as well. I replaced the unit myself but made a little "raincoat" for it from a piece of thick polythene and so far have had no further problems. The steel panel directly above the Alarm Control Module has a drainage hole cut into it fitted with a plastic diverter tube. If they had thought to seal the plastic diverter to the steel panel we would all be at least £135 better off. Because they didn't, water pours out around the edge of the diverter and slowly destroys the Alarm Control Module. I have pictures that I took when I replaced the unit if anyone would like to see them!

As you may have gathered Ford Customer relations said that they could not contribute to the cost of the replacement as the fault was caused by water ingress so they weren't liable. I maintain that this is a design fault so we will be taking our money to either BMW or Volvo in the next couple of months.

• 1 month later...

Hi, can I ask anyone that has had the alarm issue on the S Max as to whether they've replaced the alarm module themselves and if there are security bolts how they removed them - thanks!

I have an 07 Ford S-Max. When I get out of the car and lock the doors the "I" light on the dashboard keeps flashing. When I unlock the car it stops. If I check the messages section on the computer it says there are none.

So what does this mean & am I going to wake up to a flat battery or something?

• 1 month later...

I’m new to this forum group but have to also share my Smax faulty alarm system saga...

The alarm sounded, hazard lights were activated and wipers stopped working all while the car was being driven in heavy rain conditions on a very busy a road during the rush hour on a Friday night. Whilst being driven by wife with our children in the vehicle...it doesn’t get much worse than this! The wife had to perform a rapid exit off the road whilst other road user thought she was trying to warn of a pending road accident due to the hazard light flashing

Turning off the ignition, locking the car stopped the alarm...albeit from the lay-by whilst getting wet!

Yes it is all down to the Alarm Horn Sounder unit in the near side front wheel arch. The module is hidden out of view by the plastic inner wheel arch liner. The module is bolted to bracket just behind the suspension strut, very close to the horozontal bulk head pressing. The bulk head has a drain hole in it to allow any rain water to be released. The hole is fitted with a plastic diverter tube...but the fit of the diverter tube is not good and any water drips off the drain tube and on the alarm module and or its connecting wiring loom.

The modules purpose is sound an internal alarm horn if the vehicle is broken into, within the module it is supported by it own rechargeable battery backup, this is ensure the alarm will still sound if the main vehicle battery is removed or disconnected.

This module is manufactured by Delphi for Ford the same component is fitted to Freelander II.

Once the alarm horn sounder module is damp it is likely to breakdown. The breakdown is due to the electronics within the module shorting out, this will cause permanent damage. Root cause effects are varied from making false alarm sound, activating the hazard lights and sending a false signal to the wiper control module that demobilises the front windscreen function.

If you’re wondering why I’m so sure of these facts it’s because I took out the wheel arch liner and unplugged the module and then the wipers worked fine. I then dismantled the module to see the PCB and its tiny surface mount components burnt with signs water stains!

Although Ford MoCo stock standard answer is that they are not responsible for water ingress, I have to totally disagree; I'm in no way responsible for the design of this poor system. The Failure Mode is very dangerous and warrants safety recall and proven corrective measures implemented.

I have complained to Mr Andy Barratt Customer Services Director at Ford, I will post his response as soon as it arrives, I’m hopeful of a refund of my £200 bill I got for this problem. Annoying as my car has only covered 28k miles.

In the mean time I’m preparing a 'safety defect report to VOSA, I recommend that all other owners with this fault do the same to force some action, see link below for the form.

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/repository/vehicle%20safety%20defect%20report.doc

Also I will contact my local trading standards office as this is a safety issue.