75 replies to this topic

#46 137699

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Ford Model: 2006 S-max Titanium X Sport 2.5T

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:53 PM

Could be a noisy turbo - can you hear a "siren" type noise as you're driving along (a bit like a police siren)?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#47 137699

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:53 PM

Could be a noisy turbo - can you hear a "siren" type noise as you're driving along (a bit like a police siren)?

#48 kisscycles

kisscycles

• Members via Twitter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: S-Max
  • Year: 2013

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:10 PM

Just had the alarm module replaced and it restored the wipers to working! and the auto on headlight function. The plonker that designed this electrical system needs a very firm kick up the rear... crazy. Better for the radio to be taken out when the alarm battery fails - at least you can drive legaly without a radio!

cost - 145 Essex Ford rayleigh (parts & labour)

#49 markandcha

markandcha

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Ford Model: SMAX 2.0 TDCi
  • Year: 2007

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:42 PM

3rd baby on the way and what with us being two full time working parents working different shifts, our driveway looks like a posh taxi firm with 2 x 57reg 2.0 tdci titanium smaxs (mine looks better with the x-pack wheels, think the wifes jealous)...

Anyways..

Having read through this thread, few questions:

a) This alarm problem, is there anything we can do before we have the problem, to waterproof/shield this unit prone to water ingress

B) my 6 cd autochanger has a "mech" fault, is that going to be a big job - not the end of the world now with ipods...

c) I have the pano roof, and I appear to be missing 1 of the roof rack 10cm long plastic slats , near drivers door. I should be able to get them from ford?

d) how much is a travelpilot nx recent sat nav update on dvd?

thanks guys for this forum..

#50 137699

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:46 AM

Probably best to ask these questions over on www.smaxownersclub.com

#51 martyntp

martyntp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: martyn
  • Ford Model: fors smax 2.0tdci titanium
  • Year: 2006

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:30 PM

HI

New to this and need some help/advice.

2006 Smax 2.0tdci titanium. Absolutely love it but recently had problems with starting the car. It turns over reluctantly and then eventually fires, will sometimes need to try twice before it does. Asked ford at last service, but they were not sure, said it could 1 of several things. Then this morning it would start at all. In the end wouldn't even turn over properly. Connected it up to jump start it and bingo eventually it fired. So I have replaced the battery and again wouldn't start, turned over a few times and then would even turn over at all. Jumped it again and it started. Took it for a run to give the battery some juice, got home left it for 15mins. Tried again and at first it would fire, tried again and it wouldn't even turn over, then tried again and eventually it started. Wife has taken it to work, but now just waiting for the call that says it wont start again. Any ideas anyone? Oh and to top it all off it keeps telling me that the ford keycode i have is incorrect on the stereo, wonderful!!!

#52 137699

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:37 PM

As it's a diesel if could be related to the DMF (dual mass flywheel) on the clutch.
I take it your dealer has applied the software update to the GEM & BCM to resolve the low battery issue that affected the early models? (i.e. the display on the dash and radio shuts off as soon as you lock the car? If it stays on afterwards then you have a battery drain and this could cause issues next time you start the car?!)

#53 JezzaA

JezzaA

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Name: jeremy
  • Ford Model: s-max 2.0 tdci titanium

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:30 AM

Hey up all, have an 06' s-max 2.0 tdci titanium which me and my wife love (and the kids), just started to get a couple of probs starting to appear, first one is the brake bulbs, first the offside stopped working then the nearside gave up the ghost, have replaced both and the offside has blown again! annoying. Fixing planes for a living the bulbs weren't to much off a problem, you do need bendy hands.
Second prob is that the MPG has dropped down and i have noticed smoke on hard acceleration, im hopeing its the EGR valve requireing a clean but im not too sure! if any one has any ideas i would appreciate some advice.

Thanks Jezza

#54 finalspin

finalspin

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Name: paul
  • Ford Model: s-max titanium tdci
  • Year: 2007

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:58 PM

HI

New to this and need some help/advice.

2006 Smax 2.0tdci titanium. Absolutely love it but recently had problems with starting the car. It turns over reluctantly and then eventually fires, will sometimes need to try twice before it does. Asked ford at last service, but they were not sure, said it could 1 of several things. Then this morning it would start at all. In the end wouldn't even turn over properly. Connected it up to jump start it and bingo eventually it fired. So I have replaced the battery and again wouldn't start, turned over a few times and then would even turn over at all. Jumped it again and it started. Took it for a run to give the battery some juice, got home left it for 15mins. Tried again and at first it would fire, tried again and it wouldn't even turn over, then tried again and eventually it started. Wife has taken it to work, but now just waiting for the call that says it wont start again. Any ideas anyone? Oh and to top it all off it keeps telling me that the ford keycode i have is incorrect on the stereo, wonderful!!!

hi mate, i had the exact same problem with our 56 plate smax on monday, draikned battery, hard to start, hooked up jump leads and it started, my mechanic was with ford for 28 years and knows his stuff, i was dreading it being the dmf but thankfully it wasnt, turned out to be the starter, the armature was completely burned out and new brushes required, he got it refurbed, all this and only 80 inc labour... car is perfect now!

#55 GrahamC

GrahamC

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: S-Max

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

Wonder whether there is any known systematic issue with Bluetooth module?

After a year and a bit from new, I experienced electronic issues which gradually worsened. Initially, the Bluetooth connection to the phone (HTC Desire if that is of interest) would drop out, with increasing regularity until it didn't work at all. Then I noticed the cruise control dropping out and hanging such that it was neither on nor off. Finally I experienced a fully flat battery.

Ford dealer indicated that the fault was just the Bluetooth module, and replaced it, after which the car worked properly again.

Now, after another year and a bit, I am experiencing the Bluetooth phone connection dropping in and out a few times per hour on my daily commute ...

Obviously I am concerned that there may be a pattern here ...

#56 137699

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:53 AM

Wonder whether there is any known systematic issue with Bluetooth module?

After a year and a bit from new, I experienced electronic issues which gradually worsened. Initially, the Bluetooth connection to the phone (HTC Desire if that is of interest) would drop out, with increasing regularity until it didn't work at all. Then I noticed the cruise control dropping out and hanging such that it was neither on nor off. Finally I experienced a fully flat battery.

Ford dealer indicated that the fault was just the Bluetooth module, and replaced it, after which the car worked properly again.

Now, after another year and a bit, I am experiencing the Bluetooth phone connection dropping in and out a few times per hour on my daily commute ...

Obviously I am concerned that there may be a pattern here ...

There is a new bluetooth software update available - maybe that will cure your issue? You can download & apply yourself from the smax owners club website (providing you have the USB port), or you can pay for Ford to do it.

#57 mxl

mxl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Ford Model: Smax 2.0L TDCI Titanium Auto
  • Year: 2008

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:59 PM

Hi all

New here and after a bit of advice. Got a ford Smax tdci 2.0L auto on 08 plate and it has started jerking when stopped at lights or a roundabout, as if the clutch is slipping. Could this be the case or am I looking in the wrong area? Its done 78K miles but mostly motorway. Any help appreciated before I chance the local ford dealer!!

#58 137699

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

Can be a failing Dual Mass Flywheel issue.

#59 Uplands5

Uplands5

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Name: Martin
  • Ford Model: SMAX
  • Year: 2008

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

Hi All,
Over recent months I have used this forum for info regarding SMAX troubles as I have experienced the Alarm/wiper problem and Power Steering Issues. I have found peoples comments an interesting point of reference, so hopefully my experience should help others.

I have an 08 SMAX and have had the Alarm module and Power Steering pump replaced last year under warranty, but after a few months the power steering started to whine again on and off, various visits to the local ford dealer and they suspected the steering rack at £900-£1000 as I am out of warranty!

I was not convinced and lived with it for a few more months until I’d had enough of the noise and stiff steering, I then decided to take the car to a large south coast ford dealer, they took a look and advised that it could be the rack. After some investigation they asked if the Power Steering Reservoir had been changed, I advised as far as I was aware no it hadn't. They advised this was the first course of action and I decided to go for it, £250 including the investigation time.

I now have the car back and I don't want to tempt fate but fingers crossed the steering is fine, it’s like a new car, I've had it since it was 2 years old (I've owned it for 2 years now) and I don't think the steering has ever been so good!

I will keep you posted if the fault reoccurs or not.

#60 ging

ging

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Name: alan
  • Ford Model: s max 2.5 turbo

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:25 PM

hi as some of you know i have had a couple of problems with my turbo on the 2.5 st bus but that is the least of hger worries a mounth ago she spat off the aux drive belt with no worning while tiking over on my drive sounds like nothink till i got her down to work the belt went round the cam belt and knocked out the timming bent all the valve and made a big mess i found when i stripped her down completely recked the motor gutted

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users