Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Focus - Noisy Dash Anyone ?

tomo2001

Anyone else noticed on the New Focus if you reduce the climate temperature from say 24° to 20°, the dash starts to make very irratating noises? Hard to describe but definitely a temperature change related creaking/cracking noise. Can even be heard over the stereo which is most annoying. One bugbear of mine is rattles in cars especially when you spend long periods of time in them :(

Had a previous car which did the same (Skoda Octavia) and a fix for this was to replace part of the screen demister vents on the top of the dash with a different material due to the expansion/contraction rates being too excessive. Maybe this is a similar problem but I doubt if a fix will be known just yet? Will mention it when it goes for first service in December, just wondered if anyone elses behaves the same.

Mine's not a mk3, but my mk2.5 Focus dash creaks quite a bit; about 8/10 on the irritating scale.

At first I found that pressing down on the top of the dash (hard) would stop it temporarily, and then I narrowed it down to the instrument panel. If I hold the panel (e.g. the edge of the speedo dial) then the creaking stops; and if I wiggle the panel it has about 1cm movement in/out.

So I'm guessing my problem is how the panel is fixed to the dash, but I really don't fancy trying to remove it all to fix the creaking.

Mine's not a mk3, but my mk2.5 Focus dash creaks quite a bit; about 8/10 on the irritating scale.

At first I found that pressing down on the top of the dash (hard) would stop it temporarily, and then I narrowed it down to the instrument panel. If I hold the panel (e.g. the edge of the speedo dial) then the creaking stops; and if I wiggle the panel it has about 1cm movement in/out.

So I'm guessing my problem is how the panel is fixed to the dash, but I really don't fancy trying to remove it all to fix the creaking.

both my old mk1 and my current mk2 do it as well mainly on cold mornings when you put the heat on you hear everything creak as the temp changes though i have to say once the temp gets up it stops it only happens again if i was to put aircon on cold i doubt ford would ever fix it to be honest

Hi, none here either, nor was there any on our Mk1, Mk2 Focus or my Mk4 Mondeo. I've not seen any reports of dash creaks from the american focus forums either.

Chris

My mk3 titanium does not creek mate ? But only done 800 miles so time will tell ?

Mine didn't creak until the weather turned a bit cooler and I've been making bigger temperature changes inside the car.

Hi, I don't understand why you are altering the temp settings on CC anyway, I leave mine set to 20c. If it is very cold then turning it up makes no difference to how quickly the interior heats up, that is the whole point of CC. However if you need a quick boost to clear the screens then the command 'demist on' seems to work fine for me then once they are clear, 'demist off'.

Chris

Hi, I don't understand why you are altering the temp settings on CC anyway, I leave mine set to 20c. If it is very cold then turning it up makes no difference to how quickly the interior heats up, that is the whole point of CC. However if you need a quick boost to clear the screens then the command 'demist on' seems to work fine for me then once they are clear, 'demist off'.

Chris

Sometimes I may decide (on a cold morning for example) to turn the CC temp up accordingly. During my long motorway journeys, I sometimes get warm so feel the need to turn it back down without having the convenience of being able to jump out of the car and remove items of clothing. It's ok driving around all the time at one temperature if the outside climate was constant. It has nothing to do with the car needing demisting.

Hi, ok but with CC will compensate for a lower temp, turn up the blower, re-direct the air flow etc. It won't get any warmer any quicker by turning the temp up, best to switch on the seat heating, nice toasty bum then :D

Chris

Mine's OK as well. Only 500 miles but it has been up to 27 deg C and down to -3 up here in Inverness since we bought it. So aircon and heat used!

no creaking from mine (1.6 tdci zetec ... no cc)

If you want a creaky dash then you really should try living with an Alfa 156! They take the mickey. Any change in temperature has it groaning like an old man.

Fixed mine using a small plastic wedge. Will leave in situ until it goes for service next month to see if Ford can do a proper fix.

Anyone else noticed on the New Focus if you reduce the climate temperature from say 24° to 20°, the dash starts to make very irratating noises? Hard to describe but definitely a temperature change related creaking/cracking noise. Can even be heard over the stereo which is most annoying. One bugbear of mine is rattles in cars especially when you spend long periods of time in them :(

Had a previous car which did the same (Skoda Octavia) and a fix for this was to replace part of the screen demister vents on the top of the dash with a different material due to the expansion/contraction rates being too excessive. Maybe this is a similar problem but I doubt if a fix will be known just yet? Will mention it when it goes for first service in December, just wondered if anyone elses behaves the same.

Mine started creaking now weather cooler mate ?? But annoying until stereo turned up !!! 🎵🎵🎵🎵🎵🎵

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club