Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ah... Not Good!

jmurray01

We put the 1997 Ford Fiesta in for its MOT today, and they haven't phoned yet, but I checked the DVLA website 10 minutes ago to see if it was done yet, and it was... But not what I wanted to see.

Reason(s) for refusal to issue Certificate

Nearside Front position lamp(s) not working (1.1.A.2b)

Nearside Rear sill Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded (5.2.6)

Nearside Rear inner arch Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded (5.2.6)

Offside Rear parking brake recording little or no effort (3.7.A.7a) **DANGEROUS**

Nearside Front Lower Anti-roll bar has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.3)

Parking brake efficiency below requirements (3.7.A.10) **DANGEROUS**

Advisory Notice issued

Nearside Rear Brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrules (3.6.B.4e)

Offside Rear Brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrules (3.6.B.4e)

Nearside Front Brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrules (3.6.B.4e)

Offside Front Brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrules (3.6.B.4e)

Front Exhaust has part of the system slightly deteriorated (7.1.1a)

OK... Hardly the pass it got last year...

Is it worth fixing do you think ?

Have to admit that I'd be gutted if my MOT report came back with all those points, but what I would do is get a quote for repairs and then decide if the car is worth having the money spent on it, and bearing in mind that it is 14 years old and most Fiestas start corroding after 8 years old. Generally speaking, it's worth having welding done, and it's a bonus that the corrosion is not around the suspension area. My last Fiesta was welded at 8 years, 11 years and 13 years old. Personally I would beg, steal and borrow to get my 2001 Fiesta through an MOT.....which is what I did today to get her back from a garage where she had just had new front brakes fitted and a rear brake pipe to meet requirements for a re-test.

whats the cars condition if you get the welding done and you are handy with the spaners

it might be worth doing but there are still some good one,s around not much money :(

OK, an update...

The car is getting fixed up!

The garage gave us a quote of £360 to repair all the fails, and get it re-tested, which is good enough to accept, seeing as another car in the same condition as the Fiesta would be £500.

OK, we are still paying more than the car is worth, but I love the wee Ford too much to let it go. Besides, the corrosion is all on one area, so it isn't like the whole undercarriage is rotting away.

The car will be going in the garage this time next year when my mum decides to either get the Rover 216 on the road, or buy another car.

At least on the positive side, when I drive the car in a few years time, it'll have had some repairs done on it, so I won't be so worried about failing an MOT in the near future.

As for the front exhaust on the advisories, is that most likely a leaking manifold or catalytic converter ?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club