Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.8 Turbo Diesel Black Smoke

0o0bumble0o0

hi all i dunno if anyone can help me i got an 02 focus turbo diesel when i put my foot down a bit

i get a lot of black smoke i mean blacking out both sides of the road its like this in 1st 2nd and 3rd

slightly gettin better trough the gears 4th gear seems to have little or no smoke i do get a bit of black smoke sometimes on start up but not all the time as anyone got any ideas

thanks

chris

ps if you need any more info let me know and i'll give you whatever i can

it could be a sticking egr valve or a split rubber hose, check all the hoses and the egr can be removed and cleaned.

ok mate cheers will try that any proper way of cleaning the egr valve

Get some bg244 mine is doing that this stuff totally cleans all of the crap read their web site I have ordered some.

• 1 month later...

OK it been a little bit since i last commented on my smoke problem tried cleaning the egr valve but no good

been trying a few things still no good but i have noticed something that might shed some light on the subject

while running i place my hand over the back of the exhaust pipe letting a bit of pressure build up behind my hand

then removing my hand as i remove it puff of black smoke or soot comes out coats my entire hand in black soot this

is a decent amount of smoke and its jet black does this lead to anything

Maybe a boost leak... check all your pipework around your intercooler and turbo. could also be blocked air filter, blocked intercooler...

Black smoke tends to suggest overfuelling...

Is the car using oil??

the inter-cooler should be fine cause i had it refurbed 2 month ago the air filter wasn't blocked last time i looked

it was OK and i checked the oil that seems fine but will do this again 2morra to be sure i did check the pipework

for leaks but could of mist one so to be safe I'll check the pipe work as well i think the car is over fueling myself

a guy at work told me on some focus diesels they an adjustable fuel pump if that's true could that cause the problem

and how would i identify it form a non adjustable pump

thanks

Hi have you checked the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) senor, it on bulkhead it conected to the EGR with a thin pipe. it will cost about £106 from ford, but you can get one off e-bay for £50

• 3 years later...

hi all i dunno if anyone can help me i got an 02 focus turbo diesel when i put my foot down a bit

i get a lot of black smoke i mean blacking out both sides of the road its like this in 1st 2nd and 3rd

slightly gettin better trough the gears 4th gear seems to have little or no smoke i do get a bit of black smoke sometimes on start up but not all the time as anyone got any ideas

thanks

chris

ps if you need any more info let me know and i'll give you whatever i can

Hey I'm having the same trouble did you sort your fault out???

• 1 month later...

I have a similar problem...

A lot of black smoke, especially from 1st, 2nd and 3rd and more smoke when the revs are lower. The smoke is less as I go through the gears and it gradually gets better as the revs increase too. Seem to have a bit of turbo lag and I've noticed a few times that I have had to drop down a gear to get any acceleration/power.

I've had a garage look over it but they're not sure what it is. I suggested the EGR valve and they said it could be that but it's not particularly easy or cheap to look at. I don't do many miles and they suggested this may have caused the problem because diesels are made for long journeys not short trips round the town. The car has only done 75K miles.

Could it be the turbo is on it's way out as well as the EGR valve needing cleaning out?

Any advice, help or ideas would be appreciated. Apologies, I also appreciate this is quite an old topic!!

Thanks

Excessive black smoke indicates a fuel / air imbalance

If not already done - blank the EGRV

blank off the EGR, replace the fuel filter, check for split intercooler hoses (especially the 90 degree one to the left of the EGR valve). hopefully doing this it will be reduced, youre never going to get 100% smoke free because when you put your foot down you will inevatibly get some smoke

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club