Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clogged Dpf Problem

FocusJane

Hi, I am new to this forum and wonder whether anybody has any experience of this or would be able to help. I have a 07 Focus TDCI which I have owned for 7 months, purchased from a Ford approved dealer. We do mainly motorway miles, 30 miles a day approx. The car has had power issues since the beginning and was stuttering/mis-firing when accelerating. The car was returned to the same garage twice and had a manual DPF regen on one occasion.

Four weeks ago after driving for a slightly longer distance than usual the car starting having big lulls in power. When we went back in the car about 2-3 hours later, the same started to happen again, the car wouldn't pick up above 3000 revs and went into "safety mode". We called out green flag who suspected the problem may be DPF.

The car went straight into the same garage who diagnosed DPF, replaced and gave us the car back. The car had the same problems the following day, we took the car back to the garage and they advised that the DPF was completely blocked again. This time, faulty EGR valve was diagnosed and replaced. Again, we took the vehicle away.

The car had the same problems on the way home (approx. 2 miles), wouldn't pick up above 1500 revs, went into "safety mode" twice and this time the engine maintenance light also came on and we had to pull over. Returned the car immediately and were then told that the faulty EGR valve had caused a heat build up and had caused a plastic part in the manifold to melt shut. This was replaced. We have now been told by the garage that after extensive testing and putting the vehicle back on diagnostics again, the filter is still blocked and is blocking approx. every 30 miles. They have phoned Ford who have claimed they have never heard of this before and advised them to check for an air leak. They have checked for this and there is none. They have now advised that they don't know where to go with this. Any advice as this has cost a huge amount of money already? Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi Focus Jane

Firstly Welcome to the forum, We dont bite here i promise.

Just a few questions :-)

1. What oil is being used.

2. Is it overfilled

3. How many miles has the car done.

In your box on the left of your post you state its a 2007 focus this DPF requires EOLYS fluid. Is This Tank Full.

How Long Have you owned the car.

When did this start happening. Did it start after it went for a routine service or a replacment part etc etc

Jamie :-)

Hi Jamie, thanks for the response.

I have no idea what oil is being used although I do know that it is not overfilled. The garage have not mentioned the EOLYS fluid?

The car has done 69000 miles and I have owned it for 7 months. We had lulls in power and stuttering/misfiring from when we first had the car, which was when we had the DPF regen carried out. But there doesn't appear to have been any reason for the latest problem.

Thanks

Jane

Hi Jane

If It has been doing this since the day you bought the car surely it has left a paper trail somewhere in a dealer where work in the past has been performed.

Then you can claim the fault was there when you bought it.

Jamie

Hi Jamie

Yes, I have thought of this and have started to pursue this route. However, I was just hoping somebody might have an idea for a fix as I would really like to be able to fix the car and have been without it for some time!

Thank you for your help.

Hi Jane

What sort of mpg are you getting and how many miles are you getting from a full tank of fuel.

For the dpf to keep sooting up so much the fuel mixture must be massively over rich,

If it was a little rich you would notice improvements in performance etc

But because its massively over rich it is sooting everything up.

The Other idea i have is related to the oil. Does it use oil between services.

If it does then it is burning this oil as well as the fuel which is causing the soot problem.

Were the emission results any good at the MOT.

Something is amiss to be causing this.

Find out if the ECM module software has ever been updated. because everything like a computer (a car is a computer really) Runs on a program (Set Parameters) And it has the learning capability to correct poor running etc etc.

Hi Jamie

The MOT was done by the dealership at purchase and obviously we were not advised of any issue!

We've not had to to replace the oil once so far and it is still at exactly the right level.

Fuel consumption seems to be fine, I'm not sure exactly what the MPG is but I was only filling up every couple of weeks.

Thanks again.

Your most welcome

Hmm i cannot get my head round this problem.

Its as if it isnt doing its automatic regen when driving and subsequently sooting up.

And from what you have said It Isnt the DPF that is at fault its the wiring etc connected to it.

Because if it has been replaced once twice or three times. to have three dud dpfs fitted is not possible.

Hmm someone more experianced that me will be along shortly (looks at watch)

Sorry about all the questions. Its like going to the doctors.

I wonder if the garage actually replaced the DPF , and if they did and not add any Eolys and reset the ECU then maybe if they did fit a New DPF then it could be knackered again.

i think that when you replace the dpf you have to reset the ecu other wise the dpf will block after just 15 miles.like preee said ask the dealer.i bet they never reset the ecu.