Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Illuminated Ignition Ring.

Richiemac

Lmao I've only just read this thread n it gave me a good old giggle reading Lenny bully Clive into getting one. Lenny your a dangerous man.

If anyone ain't seen mine already, here's my glowing ring ;) (and all the other leds)

DSCN0824.jpg

• Like 1

Any more lights and it'll look like a tanning shop.

(Now that's an idea, can you get UV LED's?) :P

• Like 1

If there was such a thing mate i'd drive to essex n be a very rich man. Charging groups of 5 at a time to sit in me car. Or 8 if you include the boot ;)

a nice mix of blue and red rings easy to spot a ford owners club member now just dont tell him you were admiring his glowing ring lol

god you wouldnt want to chav the car brig besides its essex youll end up with a bunch of blokes in youre car trying to get a tan

• 2 months later...

I need some help with illuminated ring.

Tried to fit mine today and I got stuck at the very end, where I put the illuminating ring through opening for ignition barrel and put LED PCD onto the ring. When I do this, ring is little bit loose, seems ok, but when I fit back cover it's no good. Ring in not sitting deep enough (because of the LED at the back) and I can hardly switch ignition on. I use flip key, it rubs when turned. Removed all the bits as it was getting dark already. Checked and ring sits properly only when there is no LED PCB behind, in other case there is not enough space between ignition barrel and the cover.

What am I doing wrong?

I have not received fitting instruction, followed the one from 2 page of this thread. Received ring from China, the same seller as Stoney and others.

Any suggestions?

Have you put the illuminated ring behind the trim and the ignition surround through from the other side?

It needs to be fitted so that the ignition/steering cowling is sandwiched between the parts.

Yes, that is exactly what I did. Had a look again and there is no room for led pcb behind trim, there is (I think) immo ring around the barrel, no way for me to fit it properly. Strange. Nobody had any problems so far.

Yes, that is exactly what I did. Had a look again and there is no room for led pcb behind trim, there is (I think) immo ring around the barrel, no way for me to fit it properly. Strange. Nobody had any problems so far.

I had a few problems. The trim round the steering wheel had never been fitted correctly from new, so when I went fit it, the lines on the side of the trim were not straight.

The guide is attached:

FORD Focus LED Illuminating Ignition.pdf

same year mate and i had no issues the ring is a snug fit but should fit

I will say though Pidu, I didn't come across your problem. Mine sorted itself out went I bent the plastic a little.

Tell me please one more thing - is there a gap (abt 1-2mm) between ring and trim? Or does the ring sit tight? I have a gap, it even could not be noticed during everyday use. Position of this ring causes problem when using flip key, no such problem using spare standard key - it is smaller and longer, it's case does not go so close to the ignition barrel. Could anybody using flip key share experiance?

Tell me please one more thing - is there a gap (abt 1-2mm) between ring and trim? Or does the ring sit tight? I have a gap, it even could not be noticed during everyday use. Position of this ring causes problem when using flip key, no such problem using spare standard key - it is smaller and longer, it's case does not go so close to the ignition barrel. Could anybody using flip key share experiance?

No, it's sits tight. I also use the flip key, and it goes in nice and snug. The key goes close, but it doesn't rub against the barrel. You must be doing something not quite right...

I use a flip key too- the key does get close to the ring but you may find a bit of a wiggle of the steering surround and a push on the outside of the ring cover may seat it better.

When putting the two bits of the light together I did find that they were a bit snug.

There is not many things you can do wrong with putting LED PCB on the ring. I was just little bit worried PCB might brake if I use more power to make it all tight. Will try again tomorrow to push all the way.

Thank you all for your replies. I owe you a beer for your patience ;)

hey pidu, i think i had similar issuses with mine... the plastice steering wheel surround wouldnt clip back on with the ignition ring in place, it was too tight..

sooo i just got the dremel and filled down the plastic on the back surround, then it all went together nicely!!

if you dont have a dremel an ordinary file should have the same effect.

so basically my ring was too tight... so i just filed down the edges to create more space... and now its glowing just fine!

Thank you Aaron, at least I know I was not the only one having issues :)

By now i managed to fit it, it was not as easy as per manual, but final result is great, no gaps, key does not rub. Nice little mod ;)

so basically my ring was too tight... so i just filed down the edges to create more space... and now its glowing just fine!

Ouch! ;)

• 11 months later...

Can anyone help please?

I am having problems finishing the fitting on my illumination ring. It is all wired up to the lights and run down to the ignition barrel however I can't get it to sit over the barrel and then put the plastic steering column back on. How do you remove the lower part of the steering column? I removed the two torx screws but it seems to be stuck near the steering wheel adjuster handle.

I have squeezed it between the barrel and the plastic but it won't all clip back together. Any help would be appreciated before I break something or launch it in the bin.

Unlatch the steering adjuster and move the wheel up to maximum height and as far out as it will go.

Thanks Stoney I'll give it a try later, in the dark!!

Once I have removed it, what then? Rubbish was cars and electrical stuff, all the gear no idea.

I take it the plastic ring sits on the outside of the lower column and the led part on the inside. Does the led ring sit over the clear plastic ring as this is rather tight without throwing fitting it into the mix.

Plastic ring on outside and light on inside yes.

It is a bit fiddly but will go together in the end.

Patience and a steady hand are necessary but so worth it when done.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to get half an hour to finish my ignition ring only for it not too work.

I managed to get the lower steering cowling off, install the ring, put it back together only for it not too work. I think the led ring is bust. When it did illuminate it wouldn't got off and it wouldn't work with the locking and unlocking of the doors.

Please can anyone assist? Hopefully I've not broken it as this will be the second one I've damaged. First the soldering on the + feed snapped.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club