Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Illuminated Ignition Ring.

Richiemac

Probably a silly question. But would you have to disconnect the battery to fit these?

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Probably a silly question. But would you have to disconnect the battery to fit these?

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app

Not really mate,

but if splicing in to the footwell loom: just splice one cable at a time and tape it up straight after, then you wouldn't need to disconnect the battery because there's no risk of short circuit

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Okay.. My second LED ring just arrived.. I'm gonna try sort it out on the weekend but cannot figure out where I was going wrong previously.

Wiring/connections etc, no problem.

Massive issues with closing the steering surrounds afterward as the ring seems to be too thick and larger than the ignition, the fit is uber tight and pushes the covers out of place..

Do the LED Bulbs face in-ward or out-ward (toward the door)?

i found the same with the steering surrounds, never did manage to get them closed, however i just closed them at the front therefore not as noticeable,

i spose you could use a dremel and file down the inner surround, but then the hole would be bigger and the led ring may not sit in the right position

as for the led ring orientation, i dont think it matters as the light will pass through into the clear outer ring which will then radiate the colour through the plastic and will shine out

I've tried to trim it but it looks a bit odd now and doesnt fit quite right.. the issues lie with the stereo control stalk, making it such a tight fit to 0.5mm.

Also, I found this when I opened the diagnostic column.. just sitting there doing nothing. Does anyone know why it's there and what it's doing?

It's a foam block btw

post-50627-0-86229400-1393596251_thumb.j

Well.. Got it sorted over the weekend.. Not sure if it was a better fit because I got it from a different seller, or the 3week break while waiting for delivery gave me time to think things through.. but it sits pretty well.. not that I have an issue finding the hole in the dark :rolleyes: but it looks pretty sweet.. I chose the white LED to match the car

post-50627-0-80400200-1394095777_thumb.j

post-50627-0-75569100-1394095779_thumb.j

post-50627-0-18884500-1394095781_thumb.j

post-50627-0-61235600-1394095782_thumb.j

• Haha 1

I've had two of these and broken both of them trying to fit the cowling back onto the steering column :(

I had that issue more with the previous one.. not sure if it has much to do with the low quality control mass manufacturing or something but each seem to be ever so slightly different in their own way..

Everyone's got their own tactic but what I did:

Place the ring over the ignition barrel

Slide the lower cowling in place

Fit the plastic ring on the outside of the lower cowling key slot

Fit the radio stalk and 'jiggle' the lower cowling in place while ensuring the LED ring doesn't shift much from the ignition barrel, until the radio stalk fits flush, some fiddling with the rear of the lower cowling

Screw in place (I lost a screw but that doesn't seem to make a difference)

Attach the upper cowling, bit of a hassle, two clips at front that go into the lower cowling, the faux leather trim looks odd now, not sure it fits how it should but whenever you take something apart it would never be OEM

EDIT: If you can get it sorted it's well worth it.. a nice small difference and looks lush! Sometimes I forget it's there and in the evenings when I get to my car from work it's real nice to see. Although I like things in the dark and always have the internal lightings off, but this is a nice little treat!

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I know im really late to the party but i thought about doing this mod years ago and now I have the time however I cant seem to find the ignition rings anywhere, any idea if there are still sellers out there? Thanks

7bb9cc8feed9fac735ac26b2847e6efb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Haha 4

I too wanted to do this mod a while back and could not find the LED ring anywhere, ended up buying a cheap 'luminous' ring off eBay, fitted it and have now forgotten all about it... (notion is off me now LOL)

2117553311_keysurround.thumb.JPG.1b3b2df59b9bd3365f630d65792a4821.JPG

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club