Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Colour Coded Ms Design Daytime Running Lights Fitted And Working

sufcgb

Hi , i am picking my car up today , had mine fitted too , just a question , do they turn off when you have side or dipped headlights on ? IE so at night they would not be on whilst normal car lights are on , thanks

Hello stellaartios, they do turn off when you switch on your side/dipped lights its a legal requirement that they go off when the side/dipped lights come on, can you post some pictures of yours for us to see, are they colour coded too or just the matt black ones

Hi , picked up car and they look brill , my DRL'S stay on with side , headlights switched on as i asked it to be done this way , why is it illegal for them to be on when lights are on , i thought the law was one could have few extra white lights at front of car as well as having extra red ones at the back as long as they are not fog lights , if you know why please post the answer and a link if poss , as for pictures i have not taken any yet but will do in time , but my car is identical colour to yours and lights are exactly the same , just brill in my opinion

Hi , picked up car and they look brill , my DRL'S stay on with side , headlights switched on as i asked it to be done this way , why is it illegal for them to be on when lights are on , i thought the law was one could have few extra white lights at front of car as well as having extra red ones at the back as long as they are not fog lights , if you know why please post the answer and a link if poss , as for pictures i have not taken any yet but will do in time , but my car is identical colour to yours and lights are exactly the same , just brill in my opinion

I think its something to do with DRL's wide angle and not directed beam which could dazzle drivers , usual case for leaving them on is that they Dim when side lights turn on

hello this is from the Halfords site on drls

New cars must be fitted with DRLs to comply with the daytime running lights law. However, many drivers have been fitting them to older cars to take advantage of their benefits. If you're going to do this, follow these simple guidelines:

Only use your DRLs during the day - they will dazzle other drivers at night

Most DRLs automatically switch off when headlights are turned on. If yours don't, make sure you manually switch them off when it gets dark

New cars must be fitted with DRLs to comply with the daytime running lights law. However, many drivers have been fitting them to older cars to take advantage of their benefits. If you're going to do this, follow these simple guidelines:

Only use your DRLs during the day - they will dazzle other drivers at night

Most DRLs automatically switch off when headlights are turned on. If yours don't, make sure you manually switch them off when it gets dark

Lol , i was lucky , the installer already soldered the wire on ( white ) this ones turns of DRL'S when lights are on , he cut the wire half way down the loom , so all i did was strip it back and use a connector block taped up job done , they now turn off when car lights are on as should be , however i would prefer them to stay on with sidelights and turn off with dipped headlights , this will enable them to be on when dusk approaches and obviously when it gets darker they will go out when i put dipped beam on , also my car has auto lights but never use that anyway.

As for Halfords quote saying new cars must be fitted with DRL'S , i see plenty of cars that are brand new but they don't have them fitted ( strange )

As for halfords quote saying new cars must be fitted with DRL'S , i see plenty of cars that are brand new but they don't have them fitted ( strange )

much like the recent law on mandatory ESP, this applies to new MODELS not new vehicles in an existing model. so the Mk8 fiesta will have to have DRLs. whether they are LED or just bulbs like the bog standard volkswagens remains to be seen...

the EU aren't mad enough to enforce manufacturers to make modifications to existing production lines just to effect a change that will be brought in eventually within at the most 3-4 years.

however i would prefer them to stay on with sidelights and turn off with dipped headlights , this will enable them to be on when dusk approaches and obviously when it gets darker they will go out when i put dipped beam on

and that is why they not wired to the sidelights otherwise you will see people not bothering with dipped headlights in the same way you see people using side lights and fogs.

I've wired my DRL's in so that they go off when dipped beam comes on.

I did originally have them going off with sidelights however I found it caused the relays to '!Removed!' when opening/locking the car and the dimming of sidelights caused the noise :P

I saw these in the flesh for the first time today on a black fiesta. Unfortunately I was pulling up to a busy roundabout so couldn't admire them for long. Definatly caught my eye though, even if it was only for 5 seconds lol

My £49.99 Ring ursa's from Halfords are wired to headlights. I did have them on the sidelights, but they are brighter then the sidelights, so in dusk/dull driving, I put sidelights on, so it shows rear lights too! When you turn it to headlight they go off!

• 8 months later...

thinking about getting these, just wondering do they turn on as soon as you unlock the car? like the sidelights do on everybody's fiesta

beautiful mate! what do you think of them? at what point do they come on? when you start the car?

At the moment they're on a switched live, so on as soon as you start the car. They remain on even with side/dipped. I'm going to modify so when side/dipped are on they dim slightly.

ah sounds good! so did you gets yours done from ford?

No I bought them on eBay (£180) and had a local body shop fit them.

ah cheaper than i have been quoted! have you got a link ?

Unfortunately, I got them from a guy that bought them and decided not to fit them. So got a bargin I think.

• 2 years later...

I really need the install template for this, has anyone got it?

The Audi ones only dim because they're so close to the indicators (in the same Headlight unit). Can't remember if its a legal requirement for DRLs or just a recommendation, but if the DRL and other light sources are more than a couple of inches apart, dimming isn't an issue.

You may now all shout "NERD".

The DRLs on the Titanium dim with the indicators as well.

Yep it's EU legislation that they dim because they are close to the indicators.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• 9 months later...

I know that this is quite an old post but does anyone know where I can get these from? I have them fitted (by ford) but one has filled up with water and no longer works. I took the car to Ford and they told me that they didn't stock the light and that they couldn't fix the problem.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club