Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheel Whine

GreyMack

Hi

I have recently started noticing an increased whining noise coming from one of the wheels on my ford focus sport 56 plate.

I have had wheel bearings go in the past on other vehicles and to my mind that is a low rumbling or grinding sound. This time it’s a whine and its speed related so for example it’s much more noticeable at 40mph on a smooth road.

I’m wondering if this is tyre related rather than wheel?

I fitted 4 new tyres a year ago and there has been no issues since about a month ago.

Has anyone encountered something similar?

Sounds like it could be alignment or tracking at the very least. I would get it checked for free, most locals do it FOC and then give you a quote to fix it... If you hvae a HiQ near you, I recommend them

Sounds like it could be alignment or tracking at the very least. I would get it checked for free, most locals do it FOC and then give you a quote to fix it... If you hvae a HiQ near you, I recommend them

Cheers I'll get it checked out and hope that's what it is.

FYI the noise appears to be coming from the rear right side.

worst case scenario, you may find that the suspension is not working properly and causing something. But do let us know how the garage checks out!

• 1 month later...

Grey Mack, have you had any update on this, i have started to develop a similar problem on my focus.

If its not a bearing it could be a tyre issue... Can you pin point which wheel it's coming from? If so switch the wheels around and see if it moves...

Have had my uncle having a look today and he says that it's coming from the front near side and also makes the noise more when the car is turned one way than what it does going the other, however he didn't say which way, he has checked all the bearing and brakes which appear to be ok, has had all 4 tyres off to check for damage etc, then in turn tried the space saver in place of a wheel and given it a test run, still making the noise. He seems to think it could be either gearbox or diff related. Any thoughts

Have had my uncle having a look today and he says that it's coming from the front near side and also makes the noise more when the car is turned one way than what it does going the other, however he didn't say which way, he has checked all the bearing and brakes which appear to be ok, has had all 4 tyres off to check for damage etc, then in turn tried the space saver in place of a wheel and given it a test run, still making the noise. He seems to think it could be either gearbox or diff related. Any thoughts

I had exactly this problem on a 55 plate focus a few months back. i was confident it was a bearing after being in the car for a test drive and the noise was worse turning one way. so i ordered a bearing, after double checking when i come to fit i couldn't get the bearing to make any noise with it jacked up, so my next suspicion was the diff..had the front end of the car in the air and put the car in gear...still no noises. in the end it was a tyre noise but it had me fooled.

If you have swapped the wheel with another one then its looking like it could be a gearbox/diff problem

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club