Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Should I Go For?

Jack7

Alright everyone,

Was wanting a few opinions about what mk7 zetec S to go for! Ive been determined to go for a diesel as i drive 15-16000 miles a year but I've seen in a few topics some people are getting 400 miles out of a tank.. is there a big difference between the mpg of the petrol and diesel in reality? Just thinking if realistically theyre similar id be as well just getting a petrol! Cant decide, any comments appreciated on this one!

:D

A petrol can be anywhere from 30-45mpg

A diesel can be 50-65+ - it's all down to your driving style (although a new diesel takes a while to break in, I didn't see 60+mpg till after 15k, and now I rarely see below 60!)

So how many miles do you get out a tank?

Im looking at a 59 plate zs diesel actually, thought id ask actually do you or anyone know when the colour midnight sky was introduced? It says in the advert it is midnight sky but it was registered in jan 2010 so i think its sea grey?

I get 500-525 miles to a tank

You're right that Midnight Sky was the replacement for Sea Grey, pretty sure MS wasn't out that early.

I get 500-525 miles to a tank

You're right that Midnight Sky was the replacement for Sea Grey, pretty sure MS wasn't out that early.

Well thats a good amount to get, reassuring haha. A mate of mine is only getting 400 but I think they drive quite carelessly haha :P

Well I hope it didnt come out that soon because I prefer the sea grey haha! :D

Sea grey was stopped late august/september 2010. This was when Midnight Sky came out, so its been about a year now. As for MPG, my 1.6 petrol has returned 55 MPG (i will admit this was stuck at 50 MPH in the M1 roadworks) But should easily get 50 MPG. Round town, its more like 36-38 MPG depending how i feel.

Sea grey was stopped late august/september 2010. This was when Midnight Sky came out, so its been about a year now. As for MPG, my 1.6 petrol has returned 55 MPG (i will admit this was stuck at 50 MPH in the M1 roadworks) But should easily get 50 MPG. Round town, its more like 36-38 MPG depending how i feel.

Well the one im looking at is registered january 2010 so it must be sea grey :D

Cheers man!

& thats good for a petrol! My mk6 1.2 is doin 38mpg.

I think sea grey was dropped around this time last year?? i cant remember exactly but it hasnt been round longer than that i dont think...! so it probably is sea grey :rolleyes:

i switched from the diesel to the petrol, realised petrol's a pain in the !Removed! to be economical with in my opinion! can get 43mpg if im pretty conservative with the pedal (~3100rpm/70mph)im sure i could get a bit more if i went even slower but i cant be arsed with that :rolleyes:

in the diesel i could get at least 48mpg without thinking about it!

I think sea grey was dropped around this time last year?? i cant remember exactly but it hasnt been round longer than that i dont think...! so it probably is sea grey :rolleyes:

i switched from the diesel to the petrol, realised petrol's a pain in the !Removed! to be economical with in my opinion! can get 43mpg if im pretty conservative with the pedal (~3100rpm/70mph)im sure i could get a bit more if i went even slower but i cant be arsed with that :rolleyes:

in the diesel i could get at least 48mpg without thinking about it!

Its so tiring trying to drive economically imo! Plus i drive a lot of country roads so im constantly having to slow down speed up etc depending who i get caught behind haha :P

argh tell me about it! the diesel was great for country lanes; it was great in north wales- 4th gear, mid range revs AND mpg went up whilst making brisk progress down those winding (if a bit seat clenching) roads :D

Hi,

I have the Titanium 1.6 petrol which has exactly the same engine, gearbox & wheel diameter as the petrol Zetec S - i.e. identical performance & economy.

If I drive carefully (but not "like a granny"...) I can get 51MPG+ out of mine on a long run (& this is actual MPG - the trip computer always seems to overstate economy by around 6 MPG). On the same long run if I have a bit of fun the car returns around 47 "actual" MPG.

Yes I know that the diesel's more economical but I personally feel that the the petrol car is much nicer to drive, with considerably better performance. Also don't forget that petrol is cheaper than diesel at the pumps.

Hence personally, even given your high annual mileage - if you want to enjoy the car at its best, I'd recommend the petrol engine!

I've had to change to diesel because I'm doing big miles. My Zetec S is doing 57 to the gallon with 4,500 on the clock. It may take longer to recoup the additional outlay of a diesel now petrol is 10p per litre cheaper, however the diesel car is likely to be worth more when you come to sell it as more people want them these days.

In terms of real world performance, the diesel is likely to feel better because of the extra torque. The petrol version isn't a rocket ship. The downside is the diesel doesn't sound nice, but then 4 cylinder petrol aren't exactly the best sounding engines in the world.

Well thats just it im hoping the torque will give me a bit more oomph on the country windy roads. I drove the petrol and expected to be quicker, though tbf my expecations might have spiralled haha.

The noise of the diesel wont bother me, I test drove one briefly and it didnt seem to noisy, my car is noisy because I need to constantly push it so im used to it haha! :P

I currently own a 1.4TDCi and drive anywhere from 20-80 miles to work, and back, around the Midlands and the car has travelled 27,000+ miles (so far). I didn't buy my Fiesta for this purpose and was concerned about such a small engine constantly doing the this kind of mileage 3/4 times a week. But I have to say the Fiesta has really been a wonderful little car giving me 57+ mpg or more and for a 1.4 is surprisingly agile.

Sounds like I should stick to getting a diesel, tryin to find the right car is proving to be a task though!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club