Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Mazda 121 Questions

phil-m

by the way its not 121 questions about mazdas the title looks a bit confusing lol - it might turn out it actually is 121 questions as i haven't sat down and counted them - tho i think its only about three lol - anyway i digress - i've just aquired a mazda 121 's' reg 1998 - i've been looking on a well known internet auction site for a haynes manual but there don't seem to be any cheap ones around , which of the fiesta ones will be ok to use ? - also it seems to have no heat coming out of the vents just cold air , after a quick check online it looks like i'll be getting a heater control valve but anyone with a suggestion how i could refurb the one i've got ? - also i recieved an emissions sheet with the mot cert and on the bottom it says , note : the engine oil temp bypassed - gauge warm , any idea why they might have done this ? the engine temp gauge needle just sits there and doesn't move no matter how long its been driven - any help/advice will be welcomed - phil

dont worry about the oil temp bypassed bit. according to a mate who is an mot tester i know they can use a probe put in the engine via the dipstick tube to make sure its up to temp but generally dont as its not required.

by the way its not 121 questions about mazdas the title looks a bit confusing lol - tho it might turn out it actually is 121 questions as i haven't sat down and counted them - tho i think its only about three lol - anyway i digress - i've just aquired a mazda 121 's' reg 1998 - i've been looking on a well known internet auction site for a haynes manual but there don't seem to be any cheap ones around , which of the fiesta ones will be ok to use ? - also it seems to have no heat coming out of the vents just cold air , after a quick check online it looks like i'll be getting a heater control valve but anyone with a suggestion how i could refurb the one i've got ? - also i recieved an emissions sheet with the mot cert and on the bottom it says , note : the engine oil temp bypassed - gauge warm , any idea why they might have done this ? obviously the gauge needle just sits there and doesn't move no matter how long its been driven - any help/advice will be welcomed - phil

Welcome to the forum, I hope someone can answer the above questions for you mate,

as you are aware this is a FORD forum and as you have stated yourself in your introduction post your car is similar to the Ford fiesta,

so as a long term member and Contributer of this site i would like to request if you wouldn't mind referring to your car as a fiesta particularly for the title of the thread you are creating

I would really appreciate it, I'm sure you can understand as asking questions about a Mazda on a ford Owners site kind of makes a mockery of the Ford forum In MY Opinion.

ahh right , thats why its got gauge - warm , on it then thanks mate

lenny ok fella no probs lol

It's a Mazda - so you're right to refer to it as a Mazda. I would suggest that most users of this site will be aware of the links between Mazda and Ford - so seeing Mazda-based questions is not too unusual.

It certainly doesn't 'make a mockery of the forums' :huh:

It's a Mazda - so you're right to refer to it as a Mazda. I would suggest that most users of this site will be aware of the links between Mazda and Ford - so seeing Mazda-based questions is not too unusual.

It certainly doesn't 'make a mockery of the forums' :huh:

I have a Nissan Almera N16 1.5SXE Saloon that ive been keeping quite about for some time now,

ok its not a Mazda but its Japanese like Mazda and Mazda are like Ford so their all kind of related,

Anyway i have a few problems with it,

i thought this being a ford forum it wouldnt be the place to discuss a Nissan

now i know its ok ill ask a few questions on it,

Cheers

i didnt realise :D :lol:

one more question guys - would bypassing the eng temp sensor make the fan run costantly ? the people who i bought it off said it had had the headgasket changed recently so i'm wondering if they bypassed this in an attempt to stop the car overheating - the fan kicks in as soon as the ignition is turned to the first position

i'm a member of another car forum and loads of guys ask for advice on other types of cars on there so i thought it would be ok on here - dont go having a falling out over this guys lol - mind you , general chat does state - chat about anything not ford related . ;)

well i replaced the heater control valve today - worked a treat and the heaters are now warm enough to strip paint lol

but now i've noticed the coolant level has gone down a fair bit and i can see drips coming out of what i assume is the water pump - its on the lower part of the engine and the drips seem to be coming from where it meets the block - could it just be the gasket has gone or will i need to do the pump as well and would it be worth doing the belt at the same time ?

i've got a haynes manual on its way as i speak so i'll be able to find out if its def the water pump - again cheers for any replies/help

well i replaced the heater control valve today - worked a treat and the heaters are now warm enough to strip paint lol

but now i've noticed the coolant level has gone down a fair bit and i can see drips coming out of what i assume is the water pump - its on the lower part of the engine and the drips seem to be coming from where it meets the block - could it just be the gasket has gone or will i need to do the pump as well and would it be worth doing the belt at the same time ?

i've got a haynes manual on its way as i speak so i'll be able to find out if its def the water pump - again cheers for any replies/help

Hoping its just the gasket , or if its the pump it could be the reason why the head gasket needed changing in the first place , bypassing the temp would be a way to try hide the fact of over heating and reduce the temperature. Might be worth changing the belt at same time.

Hoping its just the gasket , or if its the pump it could be the reason why the head gasket needed changing in the first place , bypassing the temp would be a way to try hide the fact of over heating and reduce the temperature. Might be worth changing the belt at same time.

cheers for the reply mate - had the haynes this morning but aint had time to have a good look at it - the water seems to be coming from the pully that goes into the top part of the sump - would this be the oil pump ? must be dripping down onto it from somewhere else - yea the temp bypass makes me think this was the reason as well - pumps seem cheap enough online but it seems to be working ok so i might just give the gasket a try and see how that goes

@Phil, could you tell me know where you got your heater control valve from? I have a similar issue with the heating on my Fiesta and have noted some people still having issues after replacing them. If you could let me know what worked for you and where you got it from that would be ideal :)

Thank you

@Phil, could you tell me know where you got your heater control valve from? I have a similar issue with the heating on my Fiesta and have noted some people still having issues after replacing them. If you could let me know what worked for you and where you got it from that would be ideal :)

Thank you

get on eBay fella just type in fiesta heater control valve there are quite a few to chose from - i got one around £9 inc delivery the ones from ford are around £35 i think - worked a treat - all you got to do is find the unit - its sitting in the scuttle panel between the wipers - two pipes going into it from the engine and two goin out into the heater matrix - unclip the wiring connector and the pipes the unit is just clipped onto the bulkhead - pull it free then stick the new one in connect the pipes and the wiring - job done - simples took me around 15 mins start to finish - just note the pipe locations in and out - and dont do what i did when replacing the rubber cover a day or so later as i somehow unclipped the wiring and the heaters only blew hot lol a quick check sorted this tho good luck mate - i can find the firms name and address if you want

edit - the seller is t7design the item number is 190604060524 - its gone up as well its now £9.49 with £2.99 delivery - but they were really quick - i ord it on a mon night and it was there wed morn

by the way my temp gauge briefly worked for a couple of days as well before going back to its original position of laying flat - it got just up to the n in normal - would this point to the sender or the connection in the back of the dials ?

That's great thanks a lot mate! I've just been on and ordered from the same place you have, £12.48 is a great price so can't moan at that. I can't see me getting one cheaper unless I went to the scrappies and then I risk the same issue.

Will get it fitted when it arrives and fingers crossed I'm as lucky as you and manage to get it sorted out.

Your temperature gauge issue sounds like one of those annoying little perks that's no doubt something simple and cheap but just takes some detective work. As far as I know the temperature sender located in the engine block reports to either the ECU or directly to the gauge the tempeature - the resistance of the temperature sender will either increase or decrease as the engine is warmimg up to temperature. If you've got a mutlimeter I would suggest measuring the resistance and making a note of the reading both while the engine is cold and then when the engine is hot. If there's a difference (it may be small) then that's working as it should and the problem is most probably somewhere else. I hope that's a little helpful mate!

Dan

Also, I've just read about the leak you have from the cooling system, bear in mind if there's fluid leaking then there will probably be air in the system and that could be causing the issue you mentioned with the temperature gauge not working reliably.

Also, I've just read about the leak you have from the cooling system, bear in mind if there's fluid leaking then there will probably be air in the system and that could be causing the issue you mentioned with the temperature gauge not working reliably.

thanks for the reply fella - yea i think i'll get the leak sorted before i look at the temp prob - tbh i think there are two different sensors as far as i can see - the coolant temp sender which is in a coolant pipe at the back of the engine and a coolant sensor which is on the lower part of the inlet manifold - the sender is the gauge controller and the sensor is the fan controller - hope your heaters work as well as mine do now ;)

ok i've spent a fair amount of time on the net trying to compare prices on the temp senders and sensors but there dont seem to be a clear difference - has anyone got a part number for 1. the temp gauge sender 2. the coolant temp sensor - its for a 1.3 endura e engine 1998 fiesta ;) ( mazda 121 ) :P

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club