Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Really Annoying

Preee

What i find really annoying are these , "people" register and one post "Code please for this radio" not only that they can't even be bothered to even Introduce themselves let alone place it in the correct thread.

Now it seems they are jumping in the middle of other people's topics and requesting codes.

I said it in members section and i'll say it here.

I think people should be made to either be a Forum Supporter or at least make 20 + posts before they should get a code , how do we know if all of the people are real people in trouble , or kids that have been out taking stereo's from cars.

Plain fact is we don't .They register , request a code and never seen again. !

Gripe over !

Coming from a newbie , as i am , can i say i agree, a certain number of posts and then you may have access to the code area would be not a bad idea . i was a moderator on another site , not auto related may i say, and we found we got a lot of takers and not much giving back to the forum. the people who do that ,as you said above ,dont really help the membership/forum to prgoress .

on another note ,does the supporters club accept paypal payment

singer61

Coming from a newbie , as i am , can i say i agree, a certain number of posts and then you may have access to the code area would be not a bad idea . i was a moderator on another site , not auto related may i say, and we found we got a lot of takers and not much giving back to the forum. the people who do that ,as you said above ,dont really help the membership/forum to prgoress .

singer61

Well said singer61, and Hi BTW and Welcome to FOC Yes they accept Paypal.

I'm not trying to tar the Newbies with the same brush , theres a difference between a Person that wants help or can give help to some one requesting a radio code and then never seen again.

thanks preee for the welcome , and i know you aint tainting newbies or so , that is understood m8 , it is great to get more members but not just to take or get the numbers up, participation in the forum is what is needed , helping/assisting others,making people aware of their experiences with the cars and giving their thoughts and information on what they did/do /done on their part.

it makes such a difference when all participate on a site .

singer61

Its a tricky one this,but as a ex moderator on another forum (Renault) we had to restrict what a newcomer could do, we also never allowed radio codes or the passing of copywrite materail.

I think the minimum post requirement is essential to stop for want of a better word, "undesirables"

Pete

At least a proper introduction in the newbie section first. Its quite rude otherwise.

What i find really annoying are these , "people" register and one post "Code please for this radio" not only that they can't even be bothered to even Introduce themselves let alone place it in the correct thread.

Now it seems they are jumping in the middle of other people's topics and requesting codes.

I said it in members section and i'll say it here.

I think people should be made to either be a Forum Supporter or at least make 20 + posts before they should get a code , how do we know if all of the people are real people in trouble , or kids that have been out taking stereo's from cars.

Plain fact is we don't .They register , request a code and never seen again. !

Gripe over !

Min. post counts are good/bad, good so theres no hit 'n run 1 time posters but then sometimes bad as people will go around on a posting spree just to bump up their count such as posting on every single new intro thread etc....

Min. post counts are good/bad, good so theres no hit 'n run 1 time posters but then sometimes bad as people will go around on a posting spree just to bump up their count such as posting on every single new intro thread etc....

I agree but thats where the Mods come into there own, not easy, it requires very tight moderation, on Renault forums we had to approve new posters till they reached the required no of posts, yes this meant a delay in there posts appearing, this was spelt out to new members via an e-mail on registration. In reality the delay was minimal worstcase was probabaly an hour, unless of course they posted in the middle of the night, even Mods have to sleep :rolleyes:

I think people should be made to either be a Forum Supporter

I would suggest this would be the way to go. It's cheaper than paying to take it somewhere to get decoded, so would benefit people who genuinely need help and would probably deter most of the dodgy types.

Nothing to stop the users going to another Ford forum and likely getting an answer though

We are aware of this problem. Trouble is, if we make it FOC supporter only (which costs £10) they can simply go to ebay and buy it for 99p. If i were in need of a code, i know what i'd pick. Of course, they can also just go to another forum.

Also if people done a quick search on google for a radio code software, then they will be able to find that easily within a few seconds.

I know what your saying Mark , but the reason for my post was simply these people register request a code and leave , some with out doubt are real people in trouble needing a code .

The forum is littered with requests , 99% of the people here are here to learn and teach about ownership of their cars and to help other in what they enjoy , its also a place to meet and make friends.

Yes they can go elsewhere and "buy" a code or download the software if they searched , My car did not have its code when i brought it so i searched and found the required software , yes i asked a question on a forum on how to read the serial code to find which numbers to input , but i never typed "whats the code " and they set sail into the sunset.

You only have to read the post about the car that had its stereo stolen and damaged to know that the person who took the stereo will be trolling forums to get the code , if he had to make 20 posts or join a supporters area he would probably go else where and IMO i think those kind should go else where because i would not like to be giving the person who stole that stereo a code so he can sell it.

This is just my opinion.;)

I made my views clear on the members section as well. aside minimum post count as has been recommended,there is the security aspect that is to be considered. I notice that the thread in the members section has gone a little quiet, and so it may be worth prompting the admins to consider these, and if not, considermy opinion on how we should make it more secure.

I would truely hate to find that we have supplied an untraceable list of codes to those who have stolen radios! (again not tarring all with the same brush, but we arent to know if they are the genuine owner, or a chancer!)

• Like 1

I still think its best not to pass radio codes or copywrite material, if its a radio code your local dealer can provide and its normaly free, yea a few will charge, but as you say that info is available elsewhere, and if folk have to pay to become members for that sort of info, then i see that as a way forward.

I though i would pop on during my lunch break at work top 6 posts, 4 of them code requests. :angry: ,so back to reading the paper.

I though i would pop on during my lunch break at work top 6 posts, 4 of them code requests. :angry: ,so back to reading the paper.

Bit of a joke really... <_<

Personally - I'm in the camp of banning the radio code topics completely. There are ways of getting a radio code that don't involve internet forums at all, and as has been said we don't know how many of the requests are 'legitimate' anyway.

I'd also like to throw in some debate on the selling rules among the members - at present the rule is 20 posts minimum. I would like to suggest that it should be 20 posts minimum and registered for a minimum of one month on the forum. I regularly see 20 posts of twaddle, followed immediately by a selling post and a vanishing act.

Fair comment Dan, I think without taking moderation too far, we do need to do something to imrpove the environment for the permenant "residents" and also to ensure the safety of the forum, without a bad reputation if a negative act is found to be committed, and we helped them!

I do think that if we do keep the posting of Radio Codes, and do impose restrictions, we should also impose restrictions on who can provide these codes. Even if for the purposes of security, we utilise certain facilities (please see my post in the supporters section)...

I dont want to say on here, as this is more public...

• Like 1

Fully agree with you Dan and Jeebo.

Lets hope we can all work together. I'm not against people who require codes , i'm against the people that 1 post , get the code and run , and i bet if the IP address were grouped via user name then there would be dozens of duplicate names from the same IP requesting codes.

I don't know if its just me but I have noticed some posts that have not been answered but have a lot of views are by newbies asking for help

A good point, if a new member is asking for help, then some sort of explanation is good, maybe the mods could say something like your post has been noted and someone will be along to answer it also the could bump it so members can see it or maybe an unaswered post section, just thoughts

A few good points, have been raised. The only problem with IP grouping is that most are dynamic, so my IP might well end up being allocated in a months time, to someone who 1 posts.

Kevin, your not the only one who has noticed that, I have too. Sometimes I think its because they come on with one heck of a query, and something that rattles everyones brains, sometimes some may not reply for the reason that they are new.

I think an unanswared post section would be a nuisance to implement and maintain to be honest?

A few good points, have been raised. The only problem with IP grouping is that most are dynamic, so my IP might well end up being allocated in a months time, to someone who 1 posts.

Kevin, your not the only one who has noticed that, I have too. Sometimes I think its because they come on with one heck of a query, and something that rattles everyones brains, sometimes some may not reply for the reason that they are new.

I think an unanswared post section would be a nuisance to implement and maintain to be honest?

Yeah definitely mate.

Newbie + 1st post i.e major problem plea for help = No/little chance of getting an answer.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club