Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knocking Noise From Front Passenger

mark1309

Hi, totally new to this, however needs s little help for my wifes Ka.

Just bought 4 weeks ago and getting a sharp knocking or clinking noise from 15 - 40 mph (Approx) from passenger side. Been through an MOT 4 weeks ago and nothing showed, have had wishbone, Track rod ends and all associated suspension bushes etc checked, however we have noticed the top of the coil spring is rusted and missing the powder coating - would this cause the knocking?

It is worse when you drive over rough parts in the road or where are 2 people in the car. Also just replaced both discs and pads.

Any help would be appreciated. If spring can someone advise where best deals are ?

Cheers

With you having all the bushes etc already checked and if it isn't a broken spring, all I can think is the suspension top mount may be worn. These tend to cause a knocking noise over the very slightest of bumps.

sounds like topmount to me

try pushing the suspension down to make the car bounce (push down on the wing)

i would also get the damper checked as that maybe the problem the part thats in the middle of the spring

also try the anti roll bar bushes they wear out & cause a knocking noise

cheap to replace aswell http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-FRONT-ARB-Anti-Roll-Bar-Sway-bar-BUSHES-x2-FORD-KA-97-1996-08-15mm-/160660776009?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item256820e449

any other parts you need try here

www.buypartsby.co.uk

Had this same problem on girlfriend's Ka, turned out to be top mounts. Had wishbone bushes done at same time. I only noticed it by looking at the tyres, they were worn on the outer edges. Had a drive of it to see what was happening and then heard the knocking, and car just didn't feel right. Been fine since, but had to have rear coil springs replaced for the MOT, probably caused by the millions of potholes we have around Sheffield.

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd to chime in.

Had a similar clunking noise coming from my daughters car. Was also very hard to get into gear. Didn't realise it had a hydraulic clutch. Bled the air out, and that made the gear change easier. But as a surprise it also stopped the clunking sound!

• 2 years later...

I have the same problem very  annoying  Car just been tested 22k on the clock mk2 2013 got knocking sounds like under passages foot well , had it all checked out today , can’t find a thing wrong , only happens when you go over bumps or cobbles, replaced drop links but no difference 🤦‍♂️😡