Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SMAX Spare wheel

sobaka

I thought I might moke some posts with smax experience so that whoever needs this information it can be found on this forum.

The biggest problem of the SMAX is the absence of spare wheel. It is the only ford car I knnow which is coming instead with either a can of sealant + compressor or optionally run flat tyres.

That would mean in case of a puncture you will be due to replace the (very expensive) tyre or two of them depending on the milage and tyre wear. That is normally true for both options - run flats ones used flat is a definite relacement and the use of sealant makes a bulb of a rigid substance inside the tyre and when you bring it to replair the mechanics normally make you change it.

Many smaxers all over europe are not happy about it and with the absence of any space saver from ford and no storage place for it try using various workarounds to have one.

Options:

- focus/volvo/mondeo space saver - requires working the nut wholes for some and all three not officially approved by ford

- full size cheap wheel - bulky, very big, can be dirty, wheights a lot, but still used by many in a longer jorneys.

Both options require something to fix the wheel. This addtional unfixed weight in the boot can be very dangerous in case of an accident.

An idea courtesy russian smax club:

post-3348-1231840032_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

I thought I might moke some posts with smax experience so that whoever needs this information it can be found on this forum.

The biggest problem of the SMAX is the absence of spare wheel. It is the only ford car I knnow which is coming instead with either a can of sealant + compressor or optionally run flat tyres.

That would mean in case of a puncture you will be due to replace the (very expensive) tyre or two of them depending on the milage and tyre wear. That is normally true for both options - run flats ones used flat is a definite relacement and the use of sealant makes a bulb of a rigid substance inside the tyre and when you bring it to replair the mechanics normally make you change it.

Many smaxers all over europe are not happy about it and with the absence of any space saver from ford and no storage place for it try using various workarounds to have one.

Options:

- focus/volvo/mondeo space saver - requires working the nut wholes for some and all three not officially approved by ford

- full size cheap wheel - bulky, very big, can be dirty, wheights a lot, but still used by many in a longer jorneys.

Both options require something to fix the wheel. This addtional unfixed weight in the boot can be very dangerous in case of an accident.

Well, that's what I'm hoping to do with mine (I bought a cheap S-Max alloy from ebay) - how does the fixing business work?

• 3 weeks later...

I can see that this is a good idea, but the wheel sticks up above where you'd put the boot cover, so if you've got stuff in the boot it would be in full view,

sorry for being practical

Options:

• 2 weeks later...

I would also like to know how the spare is fitted, and could the answer to the tonneau cover not fitting correctly be to remove the back seat so the wheel sits lower? I wouldnt have a problem converting mine to a 6 seater if this was possible. Can the rear seats be removed???

I would also like to know how the spare is fitted, and could the answer to the tonneau cover not fitting correctly be to remove the back seat so the wheel sits lower? I wouldnt have a problem converting mine to a 6 seater if this was possible. Can the rear seats be removed???

Yes the rear seats can be removed.

Beware when tempted to use a Mondeo space saver as these wheels and tryes do not have the correct load rating when fitted to S-max/Galaxy.

Doing so could void your insurance.

Beware when tempted to use a Mondeo space saver as these wheels and tryes do not have the correct load rating when fitted to S-max/Galaxy.

So the next question is would a fullsize wheel fit into the well left vacated by one rear seat and allow the tonneau cover to close? Has anyone done this?

• 11 months later...

Thought of buying a spacesaver wheel (which will fit?) and then lifting the top of the extra rear seat and putting it into the footwell and dropping the seat front back down to clamp it?

would that work??

pete

• 7 months later...

I have just bought winter tyres for my S-Max and of course these do not come in Run Flat. So i now have the problem of sourcing a space tyre/space saver as a back-up over the winter. Has anyone found out a suitable option with this, or is the only way to buy a full-size replacement tyre (to satisfy insurers etc) and then take up 1/2 the boot space. Did anyone ever get an answer from Ford???

You don't need a spare - there should be a puncture repair kit in the recess behind the driver's seat.

Fewer & fewer cars these days have spare wheels - as the rolling radius has increased over the years, it's simply not practical to carry a spare any more.

• 1 month later...

You don't need a spare - there should be a puncture repair kit in the recess behind the driver's seat.

Fewer & fewer cars these days have spare wheels - as the rolling radius has increased over the years, it's simply not practical to carry a spare any more.

I've tried to use the puncture repair kit (as supplied with the car from new) and it was hopeless. The puncture caused the tyre to deflate in about 10 mins and after using the repair kit for 7 mins (recommended initial use) - the tyre had only inflated to 13 psi and was flat again in less than 10 minutes. After using the kit - you are restricted to a max of 50 mph and can only use the tyre for a max of 125 miles before it has to be replaced. So - I'm also thinking seriously of a spare wheel option.

I've made some approx measurements which may be of help -

17" alloys with 225/50 R17 98W tyres -

Diameter of wheel & Tyre - 65.7 cm

Width of same - 22.5 cm

Small rear most seats within 7 seater -

Width - 57 cm

Height - 60 cm

Gap behind top of seats 6 & 7 (when raised) to closed rear door

Side - about 20 cm

Middle (of car) - about 25 cm

The thinking (so far) -

1. Strap spare wheel / tyre horizontally to one of flattened seats 6 or 7 (would be offset) ensuring strap strong enough to hold weight of wheel in a sudden stop - perhaps use 2 straps!

2. Use an elasticated cover for spare wheel with inserted board to ensure top profile is flat and can be usable for shopping etc

Alternatively -

1. Use dedicated strapping brackets at rear of boot and behind middle seat

2. Take straps from either end under horizontal wheel - inverted u shape through wheel spokes to other end

3. and then back in the opposite direction and ratchet strap to itself to secure

Dont normally need to use seats 6 & 7 but if do -

1. Looks as if spare wheel should fit behind both these seats at the centre of the rear door (but not sides)

2. Not sure if practical to leave loosened straps in place as would affect comfort / safety of passenger using the seat OR adapt strapping to use both boot strapping points

Any thoughts on the practicality of this ?

• 2 weeks later...

Surely as the mondeo is nearly as heavy (gross mass 2210) as the S-Max (gross mass 2505) the 295 Kg (649 lb) would be hardly worth bothering about for such a short distance at 50MPH? - just chuck the wife out for a couple of miles!!

pete

The mondeo only has 5 seats - the S'max has 7. 2x extra adults in the back would make the s'max Significantly heavier than the mondeo!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club