Photo

Factory Tints, Remove/brighter Reversing Lights?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Gmon

Gmon

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Name: Greg
  • Ford Model: Mondeo 2.5T
  • Year: 2007

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:41 AM

Hello
I wonder whether anyone has the same problem as me and has found a solution. Where we drive, there aren't always bright streetlights and now it is darker earlier my wife and I are both finding the tinted rear windows on our mk4 mondeo estate a total nightmare. I had to reverse into a dark ish side road last night, then reverse about 15 metres in a car park. Both times I was doing it nearly blind, relying heavily on the parking sensors and wing mirrrors. Whilst this is the first winter we've had it, I'm not sure we'll get used to or get the hang of reversing with no vision!

Any advice? Opening the rear windows is something I've yet to try which ought to help a bit. Is there any point in looking for brighter reversing lights? How about removing the tints, is this a possibility? I like having them to stop people looking in and to keep the kids cool, so perhaps I could just remove the rear window tint as a compromise? Anyone removed just the rear window tint (or seen it) and does it look odd?

Thanks

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 11,387 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Mk2.5 Focus ZetecS 1.6TDCi superleggero
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:19 AM

Hello
I wonder whether anyone has the same problem as me and has found a solution. Where we drive, there aren't always bright streetlights and now it is darker earlier my wife and I are both finding the tinted rear windows on our mk4 mondeo estate a total nightmare. I had to reverse into a dark ish side road last night, then reverse about 15 metres in a car park. Both times I was doing it nearly blind, relying heavily on the parking sensors and wing mirrrors. Whilst this is the first winter we've had it, I'm not sure we'll get used to or get the hang of reversing with no vision!

Any advice? Opening the rear windows is something I've yet to try which ought to help a bit. Is there any point in looking for brighter reversing lights? How about removing the tints, is this a possibility? I like having them to stop people looking in and to keep the kids cool, so perhaps I could just remove the rear window tint as a compromise? Anyone removed just the rear window tint (or seen it) and does it look odd?

Thanks

Hi Welcome to the forum,

you need a Cree Q5 Reverse Bulb see my guide Click Here straight swap with your existing bulb, and over 8 feet of light out the rear B)

will work with tinted windows no problem 6000k white light, other bulb fitments available on ebay in the same cree q5 made in america high quality item and doesnt get half as hot as your standard bulb, also error free.

#3 btmaldon

btmaldon

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,581 posts
  • Name: Bruce
  • Ford Model: BMW 320i Coupe M Sport, KA Luxury
  • Year: 2008

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:38 PM

Or a reversing camera and screen.

#4 Gmon

Gmon

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:14 PM

Thanks for the replies. btmaldon, that would be a good solution but on cost and clutter grounds I'm ruling out a reversing camera for now.
Lenny, thanks for the Cree Q5 suggestion. Seems like a possible solution.
Any thoughts on this:
http://www.autobulbs...d-led-bulb.html
It's 550 lumens and the 360 degree light makes sense as light units designed for filament bulbs will be directing all the light from the sides forwards as well. I want as much light as I can get and at 30 for two I only want to buy the Cree Q5 or an alternative and get it right first time!

Thanks again.

#5 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 11,387 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for the replies. btmaldon, that would be a good solution but on cost and clutter grounds I'm ruling out a reversing camera for now.
Lenny, thanks for the Cree Q5 suggestion. Seems like a possible solution.
Any thoughts on this:
http://www.autobulbs...d-led-bulb.html
It's 550 lumens and the 360 degree light makes sense as light units designed for filament bulbs will be directing all the light from the sides forwards as well. I want as much light as I can get and at 30 for two I only want to buy the Cree Q5 or an alternative and get it right first time!

Thanks again.

Looks good mate but id contact the seller and ask if its a direct replacment part, as it may require a resistor to be fitted to the power supply of the reverse bulb,
also the exact length of it as it may over stretch the current space in the reverse unit.
best to be sure it will work for you before purchase mate at 15 B)

#6 Gmon

Gmon

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:59 PM

Lenny - cheers mate. Good advice.

#7 mitch84

mitch84

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Name: steve
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium mk2.5

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:04 PM

HI Gmon

I know what you mean! , ive just got focus titanium which has the privacy glass and its very hard to see what you are doing when in reverse and i also have a reverse camera and sensors but dont like to rely on the camera , Im also thinking about the bulb lenny suggests . Not got a clue how i fit it though?

Perhaps Lenny can give some info on this?

cheers

#8 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 11,387 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:10 PM

HI Gmon

I know what you mean! , ive just got focus titanium which has the privacy glass and its very hard to see what you are doing when in reverse and i also have a reverse camera and sensors but dont like to rely on the camera , Im also thinking about the bulb lenny suggests . Not got a clue how i fit it though?

Perhaps Lenny can give some info on this?

cheers

no problem guys,

i can take some pictures of the unit here and upload to this post show you how to remove the bulb and change it :)

be back in 20 minutes or so

#9 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 11,387 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

Please see images below Gently twist anti-clockwise and pull to remove the reversebulb mate

Push and twist to put it back in.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 mitch84

mitch84

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:12 PM

nice one Lenny , looks easy enough how did you get the fitting out is it a case of a clip behind the bumper holding it in place?

#11 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 11,387 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:21 PM

nice one Lenny , looks easy enough how did you get the fitting out is it a case of a clip behind the bumper holding it in place?

yes, see the first picture above,
on the right side of that picture you can see one of the clips
their is another on the oposite side too
squeeze them towards the bulb and push out from the body towards the lens.

however the unit doesnt need to be removed in order to change the bulb, i just removed it to bring in to the house for better light as it was dark when this discussion took place :lol:

#12 mitch84

mitch84

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:28 PM

yes, see the first picture above,
on the right side of that picture you can see one of the clips
their is another on the oposite side too
squeeze them towards the bulb and push out from the body towards the lens.

however the unit doesnt need to be removed in order to change the bulb, i just removed it to bring in to the house for better light as it was dark when this discussion took place :lol:

ah thats even better then , yeah tell me about it I hate this time of the year ,so dark and gloomy!!! , then again better to test out the car lights :D

#13 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 11,387 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:33 PM

ah thats even better then , yeah tell me about it I hate this time of the year ,so dark and gloomy!!! , then again better to test out the car lights :D

very true :D

speaking of testing lights ive put the christmas tree up last week :o

#14 mitch84

mitch84

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:40 PM

very true :D

speaking of testing lights ive put the christmas tree up last week :o

:lol: thats early , have you got a box of led lights to go on it! :lol:

#15 Gmon

Gmon

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:29 AM

Mitch - I'd be very interested to hear what you decide to do and whether it has helped. I'm unsure whether to go for the Cree Q5 (like Lenny) or the one I linked to. Does the focus have a similar light cover / lens to my Mondeo (it looks a bit like lots of LEDs but behind it there's just a normal bulb)? I guess the only way to find out whether I get any decent increase in reversing illumination is to give it a try!
Watch this space (once I've made up my mind and waited for it to arrive).

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users