Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Factory Tints, Remove/brighter Reversing Lights?

Gmon

Hello

I wonder whether anyone has the same problem as me and has found a solution. Where we drive, there aren't always bright streetlights and now it is darker earlier my wife and I are both finding the tinted rear windows on our mk4 mondeo estate a total nightmare. I had to reverse into a dark ish side road last night, then reverse about 15 metres in a car park. Both times I was doing it nearly blind, relying heavily on the parking sensors and wing mirrrors. Whilst this is the first winter we've had it, I'm not sure we'll get used to or get the hang of reversing with no vision!

Any advice? Opening the rear windows is something I've yet to try which ought to help a bit. Is there any point in looking for brighter reversing lights? How about removing the tints, is this a possibility? I like having them to stop people looking in and to keep the kids cool, so perhaps I could just remove the rear window tint as a compromise? Anyone removed just the rear window tint (or seen it) and does it look odd?

Thanks

Hello

I wonder whether anyone has the same problem as me and has found a solution. Where we drive, there aren't always bright streetlights and now it is darker earlier my wife and I are both finding the tinted rear windows on our mk4 mondeo estate a total nightmare. I had to reverse into a dark ish side road last night, then reverse about 15 metres in a car park. Both times I was doing it nearly blind, relying heavily on the parking sensors and wing mirrrors. Whilst this is the first winter we've had it, I'm not sure we'll get used to or get the hang of reversing with no vision!

Any advice? Opening the rear windows is something I've yet to try which ought to help a bit. Is there any point in looking for brighter reversing lights? How about removing the tints, is this a possibility? I like having them to stop people looking in and to keep the kids cool, so perhaps I could just remove the rear window tint as a compromise? Anyone removed just the rear window tint (or seen it) and does it look odd?

Thanks

Hi Welcome to the forum,

you need a Cree Q5 Reverse Bulb see my guide Click Here straight swap with your existing bulb, and over 8 feet of light out the rear B)

will work with tinted windows no problem 6000k white light, other bulb fitments available on eBay in the same cree q5 made in america high quality item and doesnt get half as hot as your standard bulb, also error free.

Thanks for the replies. btmaldon, that would be a good solution but on cost and clutter grounds I'm ruling out a reversing camera for now.

Lenny, thanks for the Cree Q5 suggestion. Seems like a possible solution.

Any thoughts on this:

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/382-ultimate-canbus-92-smd-led-bulb.html

It's 550 lumens and the 360 degree light makes sense as light units designed for filament bulbs will be directing all the light from the sides forwards as well. I want as much light as I can get and at £30 for two I only want to buy the Cree Q5 or an alternative and get it right first time!

Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies. btmaldon, that would be a good solution but on cost and clutter grounds I'm ruling out a reversing camera for now.

Lenny, thanks for the Cree Q5 suggestion. Seems like a possible solution.

Any thoughts on this:

http://www.autobulbs...d-led-bulb.html

It's 550 lumens and the 360 degree light makes sense as light units designed for filament bulbs will be directing all the light from the sides forwards as well. I want as much light as I can get and at £30 for two I only want to buy the Cree Q5 or an alternative and get it right first time!

Thanks again.

Looks good mate but id contact the seller and ask if its a direct replacment part, as it may require a resistor to be fitted to the power supply of the reverse bulb,

also the exact length of it as it may over stretch the current space in the reverse unit.

best to be sure it will work for you before purchase mate at £15 B)

HI Gmon

I know what you mean! , ive just got focus titanium which has the privacy glass and its very hard to see what you are doing when in reverse and i also have a reverse camera and sensors but dont like to rely on the camera , Im also thinking about the bulb lenny suggests . Not got a clue how i fit it though?

Perhaps Lenny can give some info on this?

cheers

HI Gmon

I know what you mean! , ive just got focus titanium which has the privacy glass and its very hard to see what you are doing when in reverse and i also have a reverse camera and sensors but dont like to rely on the camera , Im also thinking about the bulb lenny suggests . Not got a clue how i fit it though?

Perhaps Lenny can give some info on this?

cheers

no problem guys,

i can take some pictures of the unit here and upload to this post show you how to remove the bulb and change it :)

be back in 20 minutes or so

Please see images below Gently twist anti-clockwise and pull to remove the reversebulb mate

Push and twist to put it back in.

Image1203.jpg

Image1205.jpg

Image1207.jpg

Image1206.jpg

nice one Lenny , looks easy enough how did you get the fitting out is it a case of a clip behind the bumper holding it in place?

nice one Lenny , looks easy enough how did you get the fitting out is it a case of a clip behind the bumper holding it in place?

yes, see the first picture above,

on the right side of that picture you can see one of the clips

their is another on the oposite side too

squeeze them towards the bulb and push out from the body towards the lens.

however the unit doesnt need to be removed in order to change the bulb, i just removed it to bring in to the house for better light as it was dark when this discussion took place :lol:

yes, see the first picture above,

on the right side of that picture you can see one of the clips

their is another on the oposite side too

squeeze them towards the bulb and push out from the body towards the lens.

however the unit doesnt need to be removed in order to change the bulb, i just removed it to bring in to the house for better light as it was dark when this discussion took place :lol:

ah thats even better then , yeah tell me about it I hate this time of the year ,so dark and gloomy!!! , then again better to test out the car lights :D

ah thats even better then , yeah tell me about it I hate this time of the year ,so dark and gloomy!!! , then again better to test out the car lights :D

very true :D

speaking of testing lights ive put the christmas tree up last week :o

very true :D

speaking of testing lights ive put the christmas tree up last week :o

:lol: thats early , have you got a box of led lights to go on it! :lol:

Mitch - I'd be very interested to hear what you decide to do and whether it has helped. I'm unsure whether to go for the Cree Q5 (like Lenny) or the one I linked to. Does the focus have a similar light cover / lens to my Mondeo (it looks a bit like lots of LEDs but behind it there's just a normal bulb)? I guess the only way to find out whether I get any decent increase in reversing illumination is to give it a try!

Watch this space (once I've made up my mind and waited for it to arrive).

Mitch - I'd be very interested to hear what you decide to do and whether it has helped. I'm unsure whether to go for the Cree Q5 (like Lenny) or the one I linked to. Does the focus have a similar light cover / lens to my Mondeo (it looks a bit like lots of LEDs but behind it there's just a normal bulb)? I guess the only way to find out whether I get any decent increase in reversing illumination is to give it a try!

Watch this space (once I've made up my mind and waited for it to arrive).

Hi Gmon

Well I will most likely get the cree q5 bulb that Lenny has, I'm not really sure what the difference is from the focus and mondeo light cover/lense , when I get round to getting the bulb and fitting it I will update this thread ,may order today.

Mitch

Hi Gmon

Well I will most likely get the cree q5 bulb that Lenny has, I'm not really sure what the difference is from the focus and mondeo light cover/lense , when I get round to getting the bulb and fitting it I will update this thread ,may order today.

Mitch

Hi Mitch,

the focus lens is frosted and not clear, i know the web effect on the modeo issimilar to the focus frosted cover, this is simply to take the glare off the light,

it wont prevent any light getting through the lens at all,

also these lights are 100% legal, but dont look at the bulb within 2 feet of the unit as it may dammage your eyes,

Bought two Cree Q5 reversing lights and they arrived yesterday. Installed them very easily and no errors on the dash. First impressions in the sunny daylight were they're not that bright. The old 'normal' bulbs obviously output their light all round and so it comes out of the lens/light housing in all directions. The Cree is more directional. However, so long as people can see that I'm reversing in the day that's not a problem.

In the dark last night the noticeable difference was a few spots of light (the mondeo lens/light cover is made up of many little circular/hexagonal holes) which were clearly visible on the garage door when I was parked right in front of it. Also one spot either side which was on the ground and could be seen in the wing mirrors (good for spotting kerbs).

Overall, a small improvement in rear visibility through my tinted windows when reversing in the dark. Any improvement was welcome mind you. For really dark reversing I can always use the fog lights too.

Hi

Did you order from altronix ltd ?

Im still waiting for mine , when did you order them, i ordered mine on Tuesday.

cheers

Mitch

Mitch - I ordered from car mod shop (actually bought from their eBay shop as it was slightly cheaper) - arrived next day. £25 for two.

http://www.car-mod-shop.co.uk/Car%20LED%20bulbs/CREE%20LED/1156%20-382%205W%20CREE%20Q5%20LED%20Power%20Reversing%20light%20bulb

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280672051482?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2628wt_1185

Hope yours arrives soon.

Mitch - I ordered from car mod shop (actually bought from their ebay shop as it was slightly cheaper) - arrived next day. £25 for two.

http://www.car-mod-shop.co.uk/Car%20LED%20bulbs/CREE%20LED/1156%20-382%205W%20CREE%20Q5%20LED%20Power%20Reversing%20light%20bulb

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280672051482?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2628wt_1185

Hope yours arrives soon.

Nice one , yeah hopefully get it soon, will let you know how i find it once i fit it .

cheers

Fitted my cree q5 today Gmon using Lenny's great guides and can say Im very pleased with the outcome , I must admit its still slightly hard with the tinted windows but there is a tiny bit of light visible and slightly better than before , outside though the light is very powerful.