Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Warning Light On

jonnywoods

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can offer any advice.

My engine warning light is on. I ran a test (after googling it... I am useless with cars!!) and was told that I should get a DTC code at the end of it showing what the problem is. I got a message saying "none" which I read means there is actually nothing wrong. Is this correct? The warning light is still on. I have a full list of the codes it gave me if that would help?

Have you checked the oils and fluids? is it down on power or misfiring (back firing)?

oil and fluids are fine. It was misfiring weeks ago but was fixed. Everything seems absolutely fine.

It is definitely the engine warning light and not the battery light by chance? Easy mistake to make as that will not normally register a fault code, just that your battery will slowly drain until the car won't start or just switch itself off mud journey.

What engine does your car have as I would suspect that if it was a TDCi (with DPF) a generic code reader wouldn't pick up on a blocked DPF or empty Eloys fluid fault code.

I could be talking rubbish though.

It's definitely the engine warning light, not the battery.

I did the self diagnostic test thingy. Where you hold the trip/reset button and the dials whirr around (beautifully described I think).

What happens when you switch the car off then back on - take it the light remains (only ask as mine as come on a couple of time since i got my motor and once switched off and back on it disappeared?? - Gremlins me thinks - no DTC codes either)

If its on constantly I personally not sure what else you can do - either buy a proper reader thingy bob off eBay or the like and try to see if that says anything or take it to Fords, stump up quiet a bit of cash and get them to plug it in and check????

Or if its running ok you could ignore it - but if there is something wrong which ain't obvious then you might cause more damage in the long run!

Ooh just thought - does it show any messages?? silly question but suppose its possible a door sensor or something is bust and its on coz thinks a door/boot/bonnet is open (did say it was a silly question :P)

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can offer any advice.

My engine warning light is on. I ran a test (after googling it... I am useless with cars!!) and was told that I should get a DTC code at the end of it showing what the problem is. I got a message saying "none" which I read means there is actually nothing wrong. Is this correct? The warning light is still on. I have a full list of the codes it gave me if that would help?

Yeah the light always stays on, and there's no message! The only thing I can see that's slightly low is the power steering fluid. It's still above the minimum line but not by much... could it be this?

• 1 month later...

my light comes on intermittently.

I've read elsewhere that its a case of disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. Is this ok ? Has anybody else tried this ?

The car runs fine btw . Just had it fully serviced - codes revealed a coolant and camshaft error - but no probs with car whatsoever ... they cleared the codes but they did say that if they come up again it would have to goto a robbing main dealer ... they want £120 just to plug it into a laptop !

• Like 1

I'm no expert, but it might be the ECU if everything else seems to be ok. Have you tried disconnecting the battery as merlie says? It's well worth a try before taking it to the main 'stealers'. What engine have you got? petrol or diesel?

A disconnect of the battery for 15 minutes, can reset the ECU and allow the car to go into "training" mode to get used to your driving again, I had some problems before, and a reset resolved them easily enough. It does no harm nor damage, and for the sake of 15 minutes, its worth trying!

• Like 1

the dash will not show full dtc codes, either buy a cheap reader or get a local garage to read the codes for you.

• 3 years later...

my light comes on intermittently.

I've read elsewhere that its a case of disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. Is this ok ? Has anybody else tried this ?

The car runs fine btw . Just had it fully serviced - codes revealed a coolant and camshaft error - but no probs with car whatsoever ... they cleared the codes but they did say that if they come up again it would have to goto a robbing main dealer ... they want £120 just to plug it into a laptop !

Hi all i'm new here and also new to owning 4 wheels, just up graded from a scooter. i have a 53 plate 1.6 focus. just before i purchased it it had mot and service, however my engine light has come on, this is the 2nd time its happened since i've had it (4 weeks) i tried the self diagnostic thing pressing the trip and got the 'test' message but then nothing else came up, no lights came on, pressing it again to navigate etc did nothing, the light went out on its own a day later. (that was a bout 2 weeks ago) its just come on again, the car drives fine, no funny noise etc tried the trip thing again just got 'test' cant get any error codes....please help....any ideas before i go spending money i don't have at a garage?

• 5 years later...

Hiya 

my focus 09   When I turn it on there is no light showing and it drives fine but once I get 5 miles down the road engine light is on and limp mode starts . Soon as I pull over turn car off and back on it drives again perfect and no engine light is showing . The garage has done diagnostic test and first it was a valve so got that fixed . I drove 5 miles out the garage and engine light straight on limp mode back on . Again soon as car off and back on it stil drives fine but soon as hit that 5mile ish then engine light comes back on with limp mode. My car is in garage tomorrow.   Even the man at garage seemed confused. 

3 hours ago, Kellymarie said:

Hiya 

my focus 09   When I turn it on there is no light showing and it drives fine but once I get 5 miles down the road engine light is on and limp mode starts . Soon as I pull over turn car off and back on it drives again perfect and no engine light is showing . The garage has done diagnostic test and first it was a valve so got that fixed . I drove 5 miles out the garage and engine light straight on limp mode back on . Again soon as car off and back on it stil drives fine but soon as hit that 5mile ish then engine light comes back on with limp mode. My car is in garage tomorrow.   Even the man at garage seemed confused. 

Without a fault code you may aswell throw a dart at this dart board to tell you what's wrong.

FB_IMG_1609500974762.jpg.95b02be717034f128aad75e63093600a.thumb.jpg.f8b8509788ea1f362e05da145887c4bb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2021 at 5:02 PM, Luke4efc said:

Without a fault code you may aswell throw a dart at this dart board to tell you what's wrong.

FB_IMG_1609500974762.jpg.95b02be717034f128aad75e63093600a.thumb.jpg.f8b8509788ea1f362e05da145887c4bb.jpg

Iv finally had someone at Ford garage take a look yesterday and no codes showed up  .   Bit confusing really . 

28 minutes ago, Kellymarie said:

Iv finally had someone at Ford garage take a look yesterday and no codes showed up  .   Bit confusing really . 

Is it a Ford dealership?  There are always some codes showing up, even if they're old ones or not relevant to the engine.

Which engine size and fuel type do you have?  

Feel free to start your own thread to put this info in as this thread is pretty old now. 

He was really confused he said nothing was coming up.  I  did start a separate thread  no one has replied yet tho .    I’m getting different answers from different garages now.   He worked in a Ford garage along side the dealership he was jus doing me favour see what codes came up as I’m not sure the previous garage is correct .  

6 minutes ago, Kellymarie said:

He was really confused he said nothing was coming up.  I  did start a separate thread  no one has replied yet tho .    I’m getting different answers from different garages now.   He worked in a Ford garage along side the dealership he was jus doing me favour see what codes came up as I’m not sure the previous garage is correct .  

Sorry, I didn't see the other thread.  I've replied over there. :smile: 

• 6 months later...

@Kellymarie i had this problem with my ford focus. I don't know the name of the valve but it was a valve sticking. I was told its something  like air intake valve thats sticks and then puts the car into limp mode. Apparently its a common fault. The mechanic who sorted mine said he could replace the valve but it would happen again he said the best bet was to put tiny hole in the top of the valve which he did and I've never had a problem with it since.