Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stereo Mutes And "phone" Appears On Screen

chriskelly

Hi im chris and i have a problem that i hope someone could help me with!

i am having with my stereo in my 2008 focus zetec i have a message appears on screen intermittently saying "phone" and the stereo mutes, i trided to connect my phone to it 18 months ago when i first got the car and found it did not have the bluetooth connector. its getting rather frustrating not so i would be gratefull for any suggestions

i am unsure the stereo model as i lost my audio book but i think it is the 6000 cd

many thanks

chris

The radio has an input for an aftermarket handsfree kit to mute the radio. It will switch the radio to mute (and to show "PHONE") when that input is pulled to GND. It's pin B5 in the big FAKRA connector. So either your radio is broken, or something on that connector pin is pulled to ground sometimes.

The radio has an input for an aftermarket handsfree kit to mute the radio. It will switch the radio to mute (and to show "PHONE") when that input is pulled to GND. It's pin B5 in the big FAKRA connector. So either your radio is broken, or something on that connector pin is pulled to ground sometimes.

thanks for the reply tomtom70

do you think its fixable or just better off replacing the whole unit as i was quoted £91 for ford to look at it?

cheers

Sounds from the description above like it should be fixable.

If you are planning to replace the stereo, then your gonna have the old one out anyway, so no harm in looking before you go buying a new one.

Would you be confident to attempt to look at it yourself?

Out of curiosity, where in the Aberdeen area are you?

thanks for the reply tomtom70

do you think its fixable or just better off replacing the whole unit as i was quoted £91 for ford to look at it?

cheers

found this stereo new from ford with free P&P mate for less than £91 Click Here B)

I should add that, from the description of the fault, it sounds like the cable that connects to the stereo, rather than the stereo itself, so a new stereo may not help

thanks fernsie and Lenny

Im from stonehaven just outside aberdeen, i will happily remove the stereo but in not confident with wiring and also without having a manual which contains my code as i stupidly put in a bag and sent to the bin when my car went to the paint shop after some idot scraped my rear quarter agh!

do you both think its the connector itself or a bad join at the connector is more likely the problem?

I had a look at the stereo you found on eBay (thanks) if all else fails i was concidering maybe upgrading to the 6 cd sony that you get in the focus st but i may have to wait till next year but i imagine it would be a straight swap? i would really prefere to keep the original tho

i will pull the stereo out and see if there anything obvious and ill let you both know what i find but prob wont be till tomorrow

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds from the description above like it should be fixable.

If you are planning to replace the stereo, then your gonna have the old one out anyway, so no harm in looking before you go buying a new one.

Would you be confident to attempt to look at it yourself?

Out of curiosity, where in the Aberdeen area are you?

hi im back home again

i managed to get the facia off and had a look but havent found anything obvious but i havent pulled the multi plug out im waiting for my code as typical i forgot my friend needed the serial no.

i did notice that when i had the unit out it seemed to be ok and after i reseated the stereo it was fine for about 10 mins then whent into overdrive

i will let you know how i get on when i get my code

found this stereo new from ford with free P&P mate for less than £91 Click Here B)

hi im just waiting on my code now, it does seem to be a wiring problem so hope it will be up and running by next weekend

i will let you know how i get on