Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Drl's

stellaartios

Hi , not sure if there is anybody on here that is an auto electrician , my drl's turn off when you put sidelights / dipped headlights on , the wiring consists of 1 x earth , 1 x ignition live and 1 wire which turns them off completely when powered up , ( this is connected to light circuit on the car ) My question is , can something be put in the wire to lower the voltage / resistance amps etc so they would dim , this way it would be legal to have them on as well as lights ?

+1

My wife's Centura is in the dealership at the moment 'cos they messed up the installation of the DRL's last week and they've had to order new ones.

I have asked them why they go off when the lights come on and it appears (after some googling) that the law specifies that they must either go off, of operate at reduced brightness when the lights come on.

how do Audi and Mercedes get away with it as their DRL's don't appear to dim when the main lights are on ???

I would like the dealer to install them so that they are on all the time, but dimmer at night - prob can't do it though !!

Cheers

It has own relay which turning off when you turning your light on... You need bypass this first and after you can use a resistor to dimm it... (don`t know how much you need to turning off to be legal, i guess just same or darker.

+1

My wife's Centura is in the dealership at the moment 'cos they messed up the installation of the DRL's last week and they've had to order new ones.

I have asked them why they go off when the lights come on and it appears (after some googling) that the law specifies that they must either go off, of operate at reduced brightness when the lights come on.

how do Audi and Mercedes get away with it as their DRL's don't appear to dim when the main lights are on ???

I would like the dealer to install them so that they are on all the time, but dimmer at night - prob can't do it though !!

Cheers

My old skoda (2011) had DRL's and they switch off the second you put your side lights or main beam on

theres a switch on fleabay that can do that i think.

ill get a link up when im not at work (ebays blocked by our firewall)

many thanks

thanks , i will look forward to it

The off switching wire is worked by a 12v feed which turns off drl lights , if I somehow get 6volts will it Dim them or only half switch off

It's ok I just ordered a relay of eBay , specifically for dimming of drl lights , relay also does other features too

The ford fitted DRL's are really growing on me but just so expensive! :angry:

Do they have a yellow or white glow? and is it possible to change the led's (im presuming) inside them for different ones?

Sorry to hijack your post! :lol:

The ford fitted DRL's are really growing on me but just so expensive! :angry:

Do they have a yellow or white glow? and is it possible to change the led's (im presuming) inside them for different ones?

Sorry to hijack your post! :lol:

they are a really bright white light - not in the least bit "yellow". The dealership messed up the fitting as the bezel that is supposed to fit flush to the bumper had horrible gaps on both sides. We drove the car for a week before it went back in on Monday and the lights are really bright, but I did think they looked a bit "odd" when they go off when the dipped beam comes on. Perhaps the relay that dims the brightness of the LED's would be better - I'm interested in the results.

+1

Cheers

The Audi and Merc one definately dim down when the Xenons are on or sidelight mode is selected as do all models with LED Drls. By nature they are very bright in the day so at night the unfocused and super bright LED beam would be quite blinding so this is why they must dim or go off. Audis also dim the appropriate DRL when the indicators are used so they can be better seen.

The Audi and Merc one definately dim down when the Xenons are on or sidelight mode is selected as do all models with LED Drls. By nature they are very bright in the day so at night the unfocused and super bright LED beam would be quite blinding so this is why they must dim or go off. Audis also dim the appropriate DRL when the indicators are used so they can be better seen.

I've noticed the led's on audi's dim when the indicators are on, can't say I've noticed the led's dimmer with the headlights - but as you say, they are SO bright, they prob still look really bright when they are at reduced power.

Cheers

It's ok I just ordered a relay of eBay , specifically for dimming of drl lights , relay also does other features too

did you get that relay? whats it like? i'm interested in the results

I am still waitung for relay to come , i think it has been lost in the post , theye are sending me another one , when its fitted i will take a couple of pictures and post on here

there will be a tiny lil wire that goes off them too either near the light unit or at some point along the lighting power feed that will trip the system when a feed is detected...

i dont see you being pulled for them being on when the mains are, it does look like most cars with them factory fitted dont go off when the lights come on so if the car was mine i would just snip that and leave it be...

My relay should be here tomorrow , i will take some pictures , i also may have a spare one as postie seems to have lost original order , however genuine seller on eBay stated that if both arrive i can dispose of one as i wish ,

any joy? piccies?

im curious about it because depending on how much cash i have left over from xmas i might get some of the MS Designs fitted but if i do i want them to dim at night not go off (else how will people know I have them when they look their best!)

+1

Cheers

The New Focus doesn't switch off the DRL's when the main beam comes on

The New Focus doesn't switch off the DRL's when the main beam comes on

Hi , did you have them fiited by ford ? are they made by ms design ? they should go off by law when you switch sidelights or dipped headlights on , or atleast dim , if neither turn them off or dim them they have fitted them wrong. If you are just using main beam only then they will stay on as they should be wired to sidelight circuit only for switching off. How much did they cost you and some pictures would be nice to view , lastly my relay come today and I fitted it this afternoon , i will take some pics in the dark and add them here later

Hi , did you have them fiited by ford ? are they made by ms design ? they should go off by law when you switch sidelights or dipped headlights on , or atleast dim , if neither turn them off or dim them they have fitted them wrong. If you are just using main beam only then they will stay on as they should be wired to sidelight circuit only for switching off. How much did they cost you and some pictures would be nice to view , lastly my relay come today and I fitted it this afternoon , i will take some pics in the dark and add them here later

Standard fit on Titanium X. Just tried them:

1) Light switch off - DRL's are bright

2) Light switch on sidelight setting - DRL's dim (effectively become sidelights)

3) Light switch on main beam - DRL's stay dim and Xenon's switch on

Standard fit on Titanium X. Just tried them:

1) Light switch off - DRL's are bright

2) Light switch on sidelight setting - DRL's dim (effectively become sidelights)

3) Light switch on main beam - DRL's stay dim and Xenon's switch on

Is this your car ( titanium x ) I am a bit confused , your earlier post states that drl's don't dim when main beam on ! but in you last reply you say they do ,

Took some pics ,

with no lights on

IMG_06941.jpg

sidelights on

IMG_069511.jpg

dipped headlights on with sidelights

IMG_0696oo.jpg

I would say mine dim by 70% , as you casn see no glare at all. I also may have a spare realy to do the job , brand new , just waiting for it to arrive in post

awesome they look great could you put a link up of the relay you used

and was it easy to install

Cheers Nick

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club